Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

NPC Dialogue Oddities discussion

THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
edited April 18, 2018 in General Chat
So who else has noticed NPC dialogue oddities? This isn't a bug report or a typo report. I just want to discuss this part of the game with other players.

The is the main thing I wanted to discuss is Nicca's ambiguous and awkward dialogue. To those of you who know about special defense skills, did he mean to say it's "useful for multiple enemies but USELESS for special defense skills"?
ZV9fWGq.jpg

I feel a lot of the Ego dialogue is roughly translated. I only have access to this female sword ego though. How is the dialogue on other egos?
E8AZM5K.jpg

Maybe it's just a localization thing across the entire game.
aqaNILQ.jpg
ojgJd5w.jpg

What do you think?
  1. Do you like Mabi's dialogue?29 votes
    1. Yes, it's good and I can overlook a few mistakes.
       34% (10 votes)
    2. It hurts me to read Mabi dialogue.
       31% (9 votes)
    3. I skip all dialogue.
       21% (6 votes)
    4. I am part of the writing and localization team. (cannot participate in poll)
       3% (1 vote)
    5. BR?
       10% (3 votes)

Comments

• BerylBeryl
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,750
    Yea, there are mistakes and mistranslations here and there. There are also stylistic inconsistencies like some on-screen messages about your character being in second person, others in first. It's something that bothers me a little but not too much.
    Mind you, the ego's message is about an actual windmill (like in Tir Chonaill) rather than the skill and Castanea's message is about the old version of the skill, where using it cost you 10% of your max HP, if I recall correctly.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    edited April 19, 2018
    Wow, if you weren't around back when every use of Windmill cost you 10% of HP, then you sure dodged a lot of annoyance.
    Back in the day you used to lose all of your MP by unequipping a Wand. "Mana Evaporation" they called it.
    Only defense against it came around G9 when you could Synthesize "Mana Preservation Stones", that kept 100, 200, or 300 mana from evaporating. (Basic, Int, and Adv versions).
    As well as evaporation upgrades for wands and, any spellbooks that currently say "increases Mana regeneration" used to govern Mana Evaporation.
    If anyone still has stones from back then, their only use now is as MP potions, restoring 50/100/150 MP.
    Just a little look into the past that hopefully no one misses.

The Ego dialogue on Windmill is just a typo. Supposed to be "grinds" instead of "grins".
    She's just being technical about it since she doesn't know much about them otherwise.

As for other egos, I only have a Cylinder Ego, whose dialogue was written later than the original Egos, so I can't say if the others don't feel stilted or awkward, but his don't.
    Just his personality. :^)

And, Lassar probably means "successfully", instead of completely.
    At least, that'd make more sense.

Also, if Nicca was talking about "special defenses" like Advanced Heavy Stander, then it would definitely make more sense for him to say "useless" instead of useful.
    pawcalypse
  • DaktaroDaktaro
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,335
    male bow spirit doesn't recognise other races except humans, but the rest of his dialogue seems fine
    Zsx0Jaw.jpg
    2wPrkkz.jpg
    38SALDD.jpg

after clicking more stuff turns out it's just an alternative to his "i'm bored" line, but i almost died when he said this after choosing "Smash Skill"
    ROeNASC.jpg

also this
    Khd8sNJ.jpg
    "rub spirit's liqueur on my body!! D< "
    THICCthighssavelivesFluoretteOneConfusedMilletian
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    A Korean game with a healthy mix of old Irish Gaelic nouns/verbs. That has got to be a nightmare to translate and make sense of. That being said, I think you can put misspellings and grammar errors in the bug/glitch section of the forums, and they'll eventually be taken care of.
    Daktaro wrote: »

also this
    Khd8sNJ.jpg

. . . . . . .
    . . . . Well.
    It's no wonder the Male Bow Spirit is popular, lol.
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    also this
    Khd8sNJ.jpg

"To get me going" Whoa, interesting choice of words. LOL.

I need to see if I have any dialogue oddities in my own folder.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Fluorette wrote: »
    also this
    Khd8sNJ.jpg

"To get me going" Whoa, interesting choice of words. LOL.

I need to see if I have any dialogue oddities in my own folder.

L-lewd...
    Iyasenu
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    after clicking more stuff turns out it's just an alternative to his "i'm bored" line, but i almost died when he said this after choosing "Smash Skill"
    ROeNASC.jpg

All mobs should say "Lemme smash" when using the smash skill.
    DaktaroOrangeGel
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited April 29, 2018
    So who else has noticed NPC dialogue oddities? This isn't a bug report or a typo report. I just want to discuss this part of the game with other players.

The is the main thing I wanted to discuss is Nicca's ambiguous and awkward dialogue. To those of you who know about special defense skills, did he mean to say it's "useful for multiple enemies but USELESS for special defense skills"?
    ZV9fWGq.jpg

I feel a lot of the Ego dialogue is roughly translated. I only have access to this female sword ego though. How is the dialogue on other egos?
    E8AZM5K.jpg

Maybe it's just a localization thing across the entire game.
    aqaNILQ.jpg
    ojgJd5w.jpg

What do you think?

1) I agree, something must be wrong with that special defense dialogue. Never really seen any special effects for WM lowering SPDef like Fighter skills.
    2) I think some egos have been speaking Engrish lately, or just still being vauge about things.
    3) Lassar is probably trying to do a cute laugh after reporting it's repaired.
    Like, "It's been completely repaired! Tehee!~" Okay, maybe not so cutesy, but still. Maybe she would be better off with a more coldish, "Heh."
    They probably put in the completely part as in complete and whole, instead of a Ferghus, "The repair's complete but I broke it" kind of deal.
    As for Castanea, I only have one word: "Though." Should probably have someone go back in the code to remove that first one.
  • DaktaroDaktaro
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,335
    L O L
    ZLuZVl2.jpg
    HFcpnLX.jpg
    P7z07cE.jpg

not an issue just sharing and crying a bit
    granites is one of my favourite npc so i talk with him sometimes
    why do i keep finding this stuff
    IyasenuTHICCthighssavelivesOneConfusedMilletianWolfandWolf
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    edited April 30, 2018
    L O L
    ZLuZVl2.jpg
    HFcpnLX.jpg
    P7z07cE.jpg

That's kind of...
    Greta wrote: »
    L-lewd...
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    edited May 1, 2018
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    L O L
    ZLuZVl2.jpg
    HFcpnLX.jpg
    P7z07cE.jpg

That's kind of...
    Greta wrote: »
    L-lewd...

Must be that desert air that makes him so thirsty

Oh. So. Thirsty.
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    Maybe not exactly like the previous posts here, but... Something out of the ordinary definitely happened to me a few weeks ago when I replayed The Saga: Iria Episode 3.

It occurred during the quest "Searching For Millia", which is at the very beginning of the episode. What normally happens is that a cutscene plays right after talking to Shamala. However, at the time my net connection was very faulty (I might've technically disconnected, but then automatically re-connected again before the game could officially kick me off), so the cutscene didn't come up. I clicked on her again to see if it would come up anyway... but instead of a cutscene, I received this.
    8m9QZjp.jpg

This is not her normal dialogue during any part of the epsiode, by the way. I'm not sure where she was suggesting to go to or why she tells the Milletian to have as much fun as they can... I mean, in the next quest you're luring away Snowfield Slayer guards from the Hillwen Mine entrance while she goes to investigate it. o.0