Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Language in Mabinogi?

WorstnoobeverzWorstnoobeverz
Mabinogi Rep: 955
edited April 30, 2018 in General Chat
So I seen there are some korean people in NA server and they can type words in korean but why does chinese words become "?? ?" instead?
  1. should other language be censor?21 votes
    1. yes
       19% (4 votes)
    2. no
       81% (17 votes)

Comments

• LostLinksLostLinks
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,330
    This is a long shot but maybe since the game was translated from Korean it still recognizes Korean characters but not Chinese :/
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited April 30, 2018
    LostLinks wrote: »
    This is a long shot but maybe since the game was translated from Korean it still recognizes Korean characters but not Chinese :/

This. The game is developed and was released from KR therefore for the NA region they are not going to bother having Chinese characters for us. It's unnecessary.

Although...I wish we did have more other miscellaneous characters available.
    LostLinks
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    It's not really censored, so much as it's unsupported.

I think it's about the font. It doesn't support Chinese characters as it is right now in the NA version.

There are also some accented alphabetical letters that show up as ? as well.

Unfortunately, this is Mabi NA, so it's mostly English added to the already supported Korean language. (since Mabi's originally a Korean MMO).

There is a Chinese version of Mabinogi, I think.
    So it's not inherently a Mabinogi problem, not being able to handle the Chinese language.

It could be possible, if the font were changed to one that supports it, though.
  • Sphyra21Sphyra21
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,555
    Um, you can type in Japanese too includin' Kanji which are actually Chinese characters sooooo............. idk what the deal is
    OneConfusedMilletian
  • OneConfusedMilletianOneConfusedMilletian
    Mabinogi Rep: 445
    edited April 30, 2018
    @Sphydra21 I think this might be why: https://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/10995/usage-of-traditional-style-characters-vs-simplified-chinese-characters-adopted-i

Maybe some traditional characters still match? But I bet the overlap is too small to make for good communication.

I wonder if anyone knows what encoding the devs used. I assumed unicode, but now it looks like they have some custom system?
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    @Sphydra21 I think this might be why: https://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/10995/usage-of-traditional-style-characters-vs-simplified-chinese-characters-adopted-i

Maybe some traditional characters still match? But I bet the overlap is too small to make for good communication.

I wonder if anyone knows what encoding the devs used. I assumed unicode, but now it looks like they have some custom system?

Kek...mabi is a mish-mash of a bunch of excrement these days. lol. After the old developers left and the new team came in...they've just been adding stuff where they can on the outdated code and engine. Every year it becomes more and more unstable, debugging and debugging and debugging until something works. It's taken them YEARS to even get this far with updates.
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    I tried typing in Hangul for personal shop title but it doesn't work though.
  • Sphyra21Sphyra21
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,555
    Still wish I could use Hiragana at least for my pets' names. Also wish I could use romanji for pet commands.