Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Revenue Steam Ideas

HelsaHelsa
Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
edited May 10, 2018 in Feedback and Suggestions
There are a lot of posts where folks complain about how Nexon makes money with Mabinogi. Of course the game must make an acceptable rate of return for them, otherwise there is no reason for them to continue to host it. So, post your ideas here for how they can make a financially sustainable profit from the game in ways that it's customers will consider fair. Bare in mind that opportunity cost matters in business decisions.

I'll get things started in the next post.

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    A lot of complaining occurs around gachapons. There are desired items in them which have a particular chance random chance to occur. As such there is an average number of attempts for the item to be rewarded. What if instead of making it random Nexon simply charged the price of one attempt times the average number of times required. It might mean that say a pair of wings would cost, I don't know, say its 350k NX or something but you'd get the wings and Nexon would receive it's expect return anyway.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    edited May 10, 2018
    Make Dan skills, homesteads, and Iria VIP only. Yes, Pay2win. It's the only way to generate enough money to rewrite the game from scratch, because I hear the existing code is very difficult to modify.

Alternative 2, gofundme or kickstarter to rewrite Mabi code.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    Make Dan skills, homesteads, and Iria VIP only. Yes, Pay2win. It's the only way to generate enough money to rewrite the game from scratch, because I hear the existing code is very difficult to modify.

I'm hoping your post is sarcasm... O_o
  • ZuomoZuomo
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,015

They dont need to put a gun to peoples head and demand money for content.
    They probably could rewrite the code from scratch if they wanted to, I doubt Nexon lacks resources. (From what I understand, DevCAT is a part of Nexon.)

The issue probably is one of these things:

They simply do not want to and want to work on other projects.

They do not think it would be a profitable move, as continuing on with the game as is would cost less and they do not think they would lose revenue because of the state the game is in.

They do not actually care about the game anymore, as it is just a dinosaur waiting to go extinct. (Though this can be doubted as they are making content for it.)

Now onto the actual topic of the thread, suggestions to generate more income.

My first suggestion:
    Make older but still good looking items be on sale year round for around 5-20 dollars depending on the item, rarity, and estimated worth of the item.
    This would make it so players have a variety of items to buy for those who dislike the gacha game. As well as make some items more common and affordable for those who do not pay real life money.

Remove some sub-par items and trash items from gachas.
    This is actually something I notice from other gachas sometimes, is they'd not really have a outcome that is too bad for the player. We would remove the absolutely worthless items, and some of the ubercommon drops. What we could do is replace the trash with say tailoring or blacksmithing manuals of the higher tier items (or maybe for good items that were in past gachas.). This would promote interaction between players and help to revitalize life skills. If over production is a concern you can simply make it to where making one full item on average can take most of the uses.

Have weekly threads pulling ideas from players for sales
    My general rule of what makes a good mmo company is the interaction it has with it's players. Now of course I know nexon can't really actually do this, as most of our sales and stuff probably come from Korea's side. But basically if we are saying this was a ideal world where it could happen, basically nexon would host a weekly thread where players would suggest 1.) pets to bring back. 2.) shopping bags/items they might want to see on sale 3.) maybe items theyd like to see in gachas every now and then (Basically a players-choice gacha.) Nexon would take these opinions and try to implement them based on popularity, and of course, within reason.

Releasing the rates of the gacha
    This actually probably wouldn't have much of a effect at first, or atleast probably not directly.
    This would give nexon more respect as a company, in that they would start being transparent with their playerbase.
    So long term I think it would help things.

Short term I can see one of two things happening:
    One being that the rates are okay, maybe a little higher than people expected. So most people just are happy that they'd be transparent.

The second being that the rates are actually really low like what people think or maybe even lower. This would probably cause a lot of backlash.

Revamping the VIP system
    This is a hard one.As you want it to be worth it, but not completely step over free to play people.
    Some things I'd suggest are:
    Daily or weekly Nao stones sent to the player (Tradeable if people want to sell)
    Weekly AP potions guaranteed (Maybe like 10 or 20Ap a week)
    Higher drop rate
    Getting maybe somewhere between 1~5 boxes of each new gacha released. (Kind of a loyalty "Thank you")
    Decreased AP requirement for AP training
    Weekly supply of 2x training potion for your current talent (tradeable)

I don't think its too OP or P2W, there's a few more I can think of but you get the point As a free to play player, this is stuff I wont mind others having personally.
    Leinei wrote: »

The suggestion is based on Runescape's successful free/member content divide, which brought in enough money for runescape to be rewritten twice and still continues to get client rewrites.

It went from this
    Q8HbN.png
    To this, which is starting to get very close to Mabi
    NXT_Canifis.jpg
    Royal_Eastern_Outfit.jpg

Does anyone really need Iria? The exploration skills, exploration levels, Iria sagas, Magic Craft and Engineering, and Iria content should be for paying customers. Free players can enjoy Uladh, which is already mostly a complete gameplay experience. Ok, making homesteads VIP only may be too much. Maybe just limit free homesteads to level 10 and make homestead housing VIP only. Squires? 3 for free, 5 for VIP.
  • NemesisNemesis
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,005
    There's no reason to give Nexon any ideas.

They already make enough from you nerds buying gachapons
    Greta
  • ZuomoZuomo

The suggestion is based on Runescape's successful free/member content divide, which brought in enough money for runescape to be rewritten twice and still continues to get client rewrites.

It went from this
    Q8HbN.png
    NXT_Canifis.jpg
    Royal_Eastern_Outfit.jpg

Does anyone really need Iria? The exploration skills, exploration levels, Iria sagas, Magic Craft and Engineering, and Iria content should be for paying customers. Free players can enjoy Uladh, which is already mostly a complete gameplay experience. Ok, making homesteads VIP only may be too much. Maybe just limit free homesteads to level 10 and make homestead housing VIP only. Squires? 3 for free, 5 for VIP.

What you're basically suggesting is we limit players to 2008 mabinogi standards. But with some player have 2018 content. (sure they'd have more talents to do, but theres also several skills that can't be leveled if you dont go to iria. Including final hit. One of the strongest moves for humans, the one race f2p players would be able to use!)

I personally would quit fully after 10 years if they did this.
    Negumiko
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    I think they should make more free content, but also make things like VIP better, but not as game-breaking.

Make older clothes/hairstyles look better, unlock a row of Hairstyles/eyes, but add some new hairstyles/eyes/mouths/etc for Pon/VIP/Coupons.

That way, newer players don't feel as trapped and older players feel more rewarded for customization.

Another thing to make more people buy the style tab; Make slots for Wings, Wigs, Hats and Face.

Also, for the Cash Shop, why not make an NPC stand around the two largest areas people visit. Belvast and Dunbarton. Have them stand around the party boards, say a thing like;"The cash shop has all an adventurer needs!" or whatever, and then you get a button that allows ya to go to the cash shop there. Makes more people actually see it.

Also, make the Hero Talents actually have more skills.
    Druid actually gets/affects Druid-y skills. x2 EXP for Taming and Transformation, give it some Earth magic and boom.
    Treasure Hunter gets a cool gun-based attack and x2 EXP for Magic Craft/Hillwen stuff.
    Culinary Artist gets some sort of attack where they harvest an enemy for its food resources. Butcher; Deals heavier damage to weakened foes, makes Ingredient Hunting activate more.
    Etc.

Make people buy those more/work up to them which means people will play more.

edited May 11, 2018
    Zuomo wrote: »
    theres also several skills that can't be leveled if you dont go to iria. Including final hit. One of the strongest moves for humans, the one race f2p players would be able to use!
    Certain skill quests would have to be changed, and giants and elves, which would remain f2p, would have to be altered to be less dependent on Iria. With any change also comes... changes.
  • LeineiLeinei
    edited May 11, 2018
    No. This is ridiculous. Dans, Homesteads and Iria don't need to be hidden behind a stupid paywall. That idea would annoy people into leaving the game than it would to generate the revenue you think it would. I remember the days when Paladin, Dark Knight and Generations 1-3 were kept behind a service paywall. It was far better when they lifted that, allowing everyone to enjoy the content. I also remember what a technical debacle it was when Iria first came out.

Regarding VIP, they could actually generate the revenue by bringing over the VIP service they have over in Korea instead of the lackluster service we have. Also, if they relied less on Gachapon for new outfits and appearance features, that would generate revenue as well. Idle animation versions of the outfits could be put in the Gachapon, but standard versions should be kept separate as part of outfit bags.

Pon could be relied more upon to pay for features like hair, eyes, etc. It already exists as a payment, why rely on coupons when they could say each feature is worth X pon? The only downside is for people who don't have the ability to get pon, but Nexon could always work around that by releasing Pon coupons that can be redeemed for X pon (this is to allow players to sell the Pon in game to those who don't want to spend real money on it or can't). Also, the old hair styles need to be updated (as do older outfits/armors with ancient textures, but that's another topic)!

Make all the Pets and Partners available all the time. If they don't hinder themselves in limiting what they're selling, they're not hindering themselves in making money. I hear plenty of players that say they want a Maid, Butler, Commerce Partner, Laighlinne and William on a regular basis, and the only reason they don't have one is because Nexon doesn't offer them all the time. This could also include any and all outfit bags they have released and will release in the future. Obviously, though, outfits and pets with licensing issues behind them (Fate Stay Night, Utawarerumono, etc.) would still be restricted to the limited time selling because of the business contracts involved.

Another way to generate revenue would be to have Pet Gachapons available as new pets pop up. These could be limited time (for discount and random as usual) with the pets added to the Pet Shop later for their full prices when new pets debut or after X amount of time. Basically, the prices of said pets would be akin to their already existing counterparts or something comparable. An example of said idea would be offering the Band Warp Imp from the following Pet Gachapon to the store for the same price as the Warp Imp (4,900 NX for the Pet Gacha and 7,900 NX for when it is permanently added to the shop)

Erinn Marching Band Box Pet Gacha => http://mabinogi.nexon.net/News/All/13/00J6y/erinn-marching-band-box

Plenty of people need Iria as it's the location of a large number of quests in the storyline. It's also where people can learn Engineering (Physis, Hillwen Mines) and where they can also learn Magic Craft (Connous, Shyllien Reserve) and where they gather the respective materials needed for such crafted items. Also, the locations are part of the lore of the story. What you're suggesting about relocating quests just to lock Iria behind a paywall is just as labor intensive than it would be to just update the game and such efforts would only seek to infuriate players and cause them to leave the game.
    NegumikoYokkaichi
  • HelsaHelsa
    Some things are only available through events. Afterwards folks will sell them for gold. What if Nexon sold such items via the web shop then they could muscle in on the business for themselves. For example, how many folks have missed the Doki Doki island rewarded flight action. They could sell that action via the webshop.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775

it has far more content then that. there are some bard skills you need to go there to rank, leaning all the mana shield skills, transformation mastery, and so much more. Iria is already a fairly dead continent as it is and putting it behind a paywall would just kill it more. we should be trying to draw more attention to Iria instead as could be used for so much more. marriage between giants and elves, Iria commerce, and more Iria events are the kinds of things I would like to see in Iria's future. why should 90% of all the content and events happen in Uladh? (events mostly in the Dunbarton area) it gets boring really fast seeing everything happen in the same spot with almost all the player crammed into Uladh all the time. lets expand mabi, not shrink it by reducing the number of areas players can travel.

• LeineiLeinei
    Helsa wrote: »
    Some things are only available through events. Afterwards folks will sell them for gold. What if Nexon sold such items via the web shop then they could muscle in on the business for themselves. For example, how many folks have missed the Doki Doki island rewarded flight action. They could sell that action via the webshop.

I could see that with the Flight Action, but also bear in mind that it was nerfed so it can't be used in Field Boss areas anymore.

I'm not sure how I feel about the event thing you're suggesting. What's to stop the player base from simply ignoring events if they know they can get the items from the cash shop afterward? I get that it's nice to have as a safety net in the event something happens like a massive power outage or a hurricane coming to get you mid-event, but I wonder how that can be abused.
  • LeineiLeinei
    edited May 11, 2018
    Negumiko wrote: »

it has far more content then that. there are some bard skills you need to go there to rank, leaning all the mana shield skills, transformation mastery, and so much more. Iria is already a fairly dead continent as it is and putting it behind a paywall would just kill it more. we should be trying to draw more attention to Iria instead as could be used for so much more. marriage between giants and elves, Iria commerce, and more Iria events are the kinds of things I would like to see in Iria's future. why should 90% of all the content and events happen in Uladh? (events mostly in the Dunbarton area) it gets boring really fast seeing everything happen in the same spot with almost all the player crammed into Uladh all the time. lets expand mabi, not shrink it by reducing the number of areas players can travel.

Yeah, I'm really hoping that more of the Divine Knights stuff begins taking place in Iria if it's not already resolved in G21. Either that or bring back Neamhain! We need to know what happened to her other than what Morrighan claims (oh, we're not playing with Erinn anymore, kthxbai) and I absolutely HATE major events handled off-screen (Triona suddenly being dead anyone?). We also need to go back to the Shamans and see what happens with Millia, even though I despise the brat as a character. Also, what about Macha? Can she come back as a result of Apostle shenanigans? She came in after Morrighan and the others "decided" on leaving Erinn alone. -_-
    YangKoete
  • ZuomoZuomo

Yeah, I'm really hoping that more of the Divine Knights stuff begins taking place in Iria if it's not already resolved in G21. Either that or bring back Neamhain! We need to know what happened to her other than what Morrighan claims (oh, we're not playing with Erinn anymore, kthxbai) and I absolutely HATE major events handled off-screen (Triona suddenly being dead anyone?). We also need to go back to the Shamans and see what happens with Millia, even though I despise the brat as a character. Also, what about Macha? Can she come back as a result of Apostle shenanigans? She came in after Morrighan and the others "decided" on leaving Erinn alone. -_-

From what I've seen g21 brings a new field or smth?

I think what would be best to resolve these questions is maybe a new questline after this chapter that would be a whole new questline either in a flash back like setting, or maybe having the gods having a problem that they seek your help on, and would need to explain some of the leaps in story lol.

Either way probably something to make a new thread about.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Let's not all dump on someone for suggesting limiting access to Iria. Instead of focusing on that let's look at the heart of what they are proposing, which is to make VIP a tangible advantage rather than more-or-less a collection of convenient services. Although they didn't say it, I suspect they mean to do so and keep the price of it the same which would create greater demand for the product. Maybe there are ideas to do that which won't make people upset?
  • ZuomoZuomo
    Helsa wrote: »
    Let's not all dump on someone for suggesting limiting access to Iria. Instead of focusing on that let's look at the heart of what they are proposing, which is to make VIP a tangible advantage rather than more-or-less a collection of convenient services. Although they didn't say it, I suspect they mean to do so and keep the price of it the same which would create greater demand for the product. Maybe there are ideas to do that which won't make people upset?

Their proposed idea was literally to make the game pay to win (Read: P2P Disguised as F2P). Of course people are going to dump on it. Just like if the company implemented it their loyal playerbase would most likely leave, and dump on it.

This is the whole point of people posting ideas, they post, and people comment either negatively or positively. This gives the company an idea on what ideas are worth discussing or not.
    most people who suggested something here suggested revamping VIP, nobodies disagreeing with that. What people are dumping on is the way that person suggested.

Leinei
    lol yeah I did literally say "pay2win." I knew the idea wasn't going to be well liked, so it's all cool. :)

I think OP could collect the ideas posted in the thread and turn them into a poll.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited May 13, 2018

It went from this
    Q8HbN.png
    NXT_Canifis.jpg
    Royal_Eastern_Outfit.jpg

Dude, you probably didn't know this, but after Runescape got Evolution of Combat update, they received a huge player outrage and decline. Everyone wanted to get back old combat system and no one gave a crap about graphics. So your statement is not valid enough. Jagex were forced to bring back Oldschool Runescape and they also still kept Runescape 3. Update like that on Mabinogi might kill the game 100% for sure.
    YangKoeteLeineiTHICCthighssavelives