Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Drop Rates

EncrovianEncrovian
Mabinogi Rep: 1,085
edited May 23, 2018 in General Chat
Why couldn't drop rates be a regular thing that's revealed? It'd just be nice to see what u can expect when hunting for something rather than experiencing it and finding out for urself. I just think it's also nice to see what the number is. Is it rly that hard for them to reveal the rates? -_-

Comments

• FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    I believe it has to do with the factor of uncertainty. If you already expect a 0.01% drop rate, chances are you wouldn't bother... as opposed to continuing to blindly hunt, clinging to the hope that you might actually obtain the item you're seeking--the same hope that either drives you to quit or continues to push you forward in your search.
    It seems like gachapons work in a similar fashion.

On another note, I don't think I've seen the rates for drops revealed in any MMORPG that I've played. Maybe this one wishes to follow that convention as well.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Fluorette wrote: »
    I believe it has to do with the factor of uncertainty. If you already expect a 0.01% drop rate, chances are you wouldn't bother... as opposed to continuing to blindly hunt, clinging to the hope that you might actually obtain the item you're seeking--the same hope that either drives you to quit or continues to push you forward in your search.
    It seems like gachapons work in a similar fashion.

On another note, I don't think I've seen the rates for drops revealed in any MMORPG that I've played. Maybe this one wishes to follow that convention as well.

Runescape does, it makes a lot of complaining and whining. I don't want drop rates reveled because a lot of mabi players don't play mmos, they're gonna see how low things really are and give up.
  • Raincloud95Raincloud95
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,830
    Runescape: the MMO we deserve, but not the one we need.

Needs more hope :p The upside of knowing rates is getting prepared to kill 1000+ enemies and knowing what you're getting into. Also some countries require gacha rates to be published by law, because it's a deceitful gambling ploy to get money otherwise. Which is exactly why Nexon KR got fined by the Korean FTC for 1 billion KRW (bit over $900,000) over gachas in Sudden Attack and Counter-Strike Online 2. (Google it if you haven't already, it's a good read)

Which begs the question, ARE the mabi drop rates published somewhere? Maybe just not in English? There's a mabi China server and China is one that requires the rates. Or can you buy the gachas on the China server?

I get that nexon has to make money for their free to play games somehow, but other games that DO publish their rates still make loads of money because rich people and people who wanna hope anyway. Mmm, another option for them would be to raise the rates of good gacha drops to a reasonable level, let us know, and more people would buy gachas knowing they had a good chance.

A possible way nexon didn't get in trouble for mabi is our gachas usually drop at least a shadow crystal. Or maybe it's because they never said anything about the drop rates, in Sudden Attack and Counter-Strike Online 2 they used some language that made it sound like the drop rates for the puzzle pieces were equal, since they said it was "random" specifically, but they're careful to avoid words like that in Mabi.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Runescape: the MMO we deserve, but not the one we need.

Needs more hope :p The upside of knowing rates is getting prepared to kill 1000+ enemies and knowing what you're getting into. Also some countries require gacha rates to be published by law, because it's a deceitful gambling ploy to get money otherwise. Which is exactly why Nexon KR got fined by the Korean FTC for 1 billion KRW (bit over $900,000) over gachas in Sudden Attack and Counter-Strike Online 2. (Google it if you haven't already, it's a good read)

Which begs the question, ARE the mabi drop rates published somewhere? Maybe just not in English? There's a mabi China server and China is one that requires the rates. Or can you buy the gachas on the China server?

I get that nexon has to make money for their free to play games somehow, but other games that DO publish their rates still make loads of money because rich people and people who wanna hope anyway. Mmm, another option for them would be to raise the rates of good gacha drops to a reasonable level, let us know, and more people would buy gachas knowing they had a good chance.

A possible way nexon didn't get in trouble for mabi is our gachas usually drop at least a shadow crystal. Or maybe it's because they never said anything about the drop rates, in Sudden Attack and Counter-Strike Online 2 they used some language that made it sound like the drop rates for the puzzle pieces were equal, since they said it was "random" specifically, but they're careful to avoid words like that in Mabi.

No one deserves the dumpster fire that is runescape and jagex.

Also gacha aren't deemed gambling because you get a guaranteed reward, I think how they get around it currently is something like
    You always get an item, just because you didn't get what you wanted doesn't mean its gambling because you still got something.

Sounds like a temp loop hole at best.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited May 23, 2018
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    I don't want drop rates reveled because a lot of mabi players don't play mmos, they're gonna see how low things really are and give up.

What exactly do you base this conclusion on? It would seem many Mabinogi players are familiar with MMOs, but due to time constraints of having a life, can only truly dedicate it to one or two.
    JazmynBronzebreak
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    The rates help with probability....much like the companies that do gatcha on mobile devices usually guarantee X tier item for a 10 pack +1or such. It also depends on the players you mess with. Most noticeable and aired games are shooter based so they have more funding to attack other companies for such things In the MMORPG world...it's less likely for some reason.

One reason why Nexon NA will never make a MAC compatible game is because Apple requires the rates to be listed, that is pushed by the company itself. The gacha for this game is pretty bad in itself that even people who spend nearly $500 will get nothing good from it. Think you need to average $1000 + in a handful of instances.

When you "Gacha", they "Gacha."
    Which begs the question, ARE the mabi drop rates published somewhere? Maybe just not in English?.

NA does not require companies to post their rates unless there was a new law that went into effect that I'm unaware of.
  • KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415

Not sure how temporary it can be considering it's why the gaming commission in the United States doesn't consider it gambling (as they define it). I Remember reading a article somewhere where they had looked at gachas here in the states and that was their conclusion (can't remember where but think it was around the time the UK was investigating as well). It's not gambling because you are guaranteed an item. It simply may not be the item you wanted.
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    edited May 23, 2018
    Sort of confused here... Mabinogi is an MMO... and I think the OP was talking about ITEM drop rates (dungeon end chests, monster drops,etc)... You don't exactly "hunt" for Gacha items?
    Bronzebreak
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175

Encrovian wrote: »
    Why couldn't drop rates be a regular thing that's revealed? It'd just be nice to see what u can expect when hunting for something rather than experiencing it and finding out for urself. I just think it's also nice to see what the number is. Is it rly that hard for them to reveal the rates? -_-

bX4R1_s-200x150.gif?c=popkey-web&p=thechive&i=thechive&l=search&f=.gif

It's much worse.

U also have to land in the rite-drop table tier for that item as well on top of landing that specific item drop ratio.
  • EncrovianEncrovian
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,085
    Jazmyn wrote: »
    Sort of confused here... Mabinogi is an MMO... and I think the OP was talking about ITEM drop rates (dungeon end chests, monster drops,etc)... You don't exactly "hunt" for Gacha items?

Yeah i think everyone just wanted to talk about Gachas instead. Dungeon drops/Monster Drops were the main point. I already know gachas are just nvr gonna be what u want them to be.
    Jazmyn
  • ZuomoZuomo
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,015
    Encrovian wrote: »
    Jazmyn wrote: »

Yeah i think everyone just wanted to talk about Gachas instead. Dungeon drops/Monster Drops were the main point. I already know gachas are just nvr gonna be what u want them to be.

Whenever you bring up the "Rates"
    Regardless of context someone will talk about gachas.
  • Raincloud95Raincloud95
    asnscorpio wrote: »
    Which begs the question, ARE the mabi drop rates published somewhere? Maybe just not in English?.

NA does not require companies to post their rates unless there was a new law that went into effect that I'm unaware of.

China requires rates to be public information (I don't know if it's just for some games or all games), and there is a Mabi China server, therefore I wondered if the Chinese players were given the drop chances.

Tbh I would like it if rates for everything were posted, gacha, monster, and dungeon alike. Also for event boxes like the sugar coin box. Just how low is the drop rate for the mini-gems? :'(

No one deserves the dumpster fire that is runescape and jagex.

Also gacha aren't deemed gambling because you get a guaranteed reward, I think how they get around it currently is something like
    You always get an item, just because you didn't get what you wanted doesn't mean its gambling because you still got something.

I like that Jagex will, from time to time, take player suggestions and implement them into the game. I feel like Nexon usually gives NA players the cold shoulder, if not all their players, when we suggest anything (such as changes to events). I also like that Jagex keeps us updated when there's issues and they're in the process of working on them, Nexon usually keeps quiet and doesn't really communicate much with the players except for "problem's fixed now". I mean, they're obviously not perfect, but what company is?

Also you're probably right about the loophole, most of the gachas have something like a shadow crystal that you always get. Some don't though, so I wonder about those.
  • Raincloud95Raincloud95
    I think giving monster and dungeon drop rates would be a good thing. It's better to know that you need to prepare to kill +1000 monsters or run a dungeon +100 times than just run blindly into it and hope for the best. If you want the item bad enough you'll buckle down and get ready for the grind. And if you didn't want the item THAT bad, then you decide not to waste your time, which I think is an executive decision a player deserves to be able to make.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    edited May 24, 2018
    I don't want drop rates reveled because a lot of mabi players don't play mmos, they're gonna see how low things really are and give up.

What exactly do you base this conclusion on? It would seem many Mabinogi players are familiar with MMOs, but due to time constraints of having a life, can only truly dedicate it to one or two.

I should've worded what I said a little better. There's a lot of mabi players that don't really play MMOs and you can play mabi fairly casually. I'm thinking of the people who don't really rank life skills/ tedious skills at all and think it's one of the worst grinds ever. Mabi is pretty lax when it comes to grinds for skills sometimes the rng is awful though. I did magic craft when it came out with 1x training and it only took me a few days to get r1 when it comes to MMOs a 3 day grind is pretty casual at least I think it is.

The same players who had a hard time ranking life skills are going to see the 1/1k+ drop rates and just give up, that'd hurt the player base a decent amount.

I bring up runescape a lot here because I do love the game I just hate the way the company manages it. But there's a boss on there that takes ~5 mins per kill if you're going pretty quick and I have 2400 kill count on it. That's 200 hours at a low estimate considering it's in a PvP area and you end up needing to run from a good part of your kills, that's a grind that kills games I burnt out so hard that I probably won't go back ever.

I think giving monster and dungeon drop rates would be a good thing. It's better to know that you need to prepare to kill +1000 monsters or run a dungeon +100 times than just run blindly into it and hope for the best. If you want the item bad enough you'll buckle down and get ready for the grind. And if you didn't want the item THAT bad, then you decide not to waste your time, which I think is an executive decision a player deserves to be able to make.

It's a 50/50 chance, you either get it or you don't.
  • BronzebreakBronzebreak
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,940

Tha- that's not how probability works.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer

I take it you didn't get it then.
    THICCthighssavelives
  • BronzebreakBronzebreak
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,940

I take it you didn't get it then.

CPgytitWsAA8gNd.jpg
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    For those interested on top of the exp camping penalties imposed when hunting out in overworld, you also get an "item" penalty. This is most apparent when hunting for Emerald cores, and Shyllien animal parts as the more you kill, the lower the drop count becomes until it simply stops dropping. As for posting the rates of item drop rates, well its an MMO, its more meat for the meat grinder and they do sell that nifty 2x drop rate pot in the cash shop and they do provide the VIP service... (They want your money)
    Jazmyn
  • Sphyra21Sphyra21
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,555
    drop rates published? yes please! I'd love to know the drop rates of items ingame. It would help with prepping for a run(s) so you know exactly what you're getting into. I really want a Robe of Destruction, but the rarity of the mats makes it discouraging to say the least.

Also still tryin' to get tuning kits, instrument strings, and song stardust from Math Music. in all this time I've gotten:
    3 tuning kits
    1 song stardust
    and 0 instrument strings

Drop rates need to be improved too
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Sphyra21 wrote: »
    drop rates published? yes please! I'd love to know the drop rates of items ingame. It would help with prepping for a run(s) so you know exactly what you're getting into. I really want a Robe of Destruction, but the rarity of the mats makes it discouraging to say the least.

Also still tryin' to get tuning kits, instrument strings, and song stardust from Math Music. in all this time I've gotten:
    3 tuning kits
    1 song stardust
    and 0 instrument strings

Drop rates need to be improved too

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure a pattern hasn't been dropped yet.