Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Alltur and Altam ???

Comments

• BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited June 2, 2018
    Blankeye wrote: »
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    Are the aces as insufferably annoying in saga for KR? I honestly stopped caring about the whole saga story because I felt like I was baby sitting a group of toddlers.

Not... Really? I mean... Okay Starlet/Diva, Prof J and CulArt aren't very developed atm... Hopefully that will change soon. As for TH and Merlin... I can't say a lot about Merlin for... Reasons. But he's very well developed as of right now. He's also more seen as an irresponsible dork than what people on NA seem to label him as. TH in Kor is a bit more of a deadpan snarker, but also has lighthearted moments where he just likes teasing and joking around. Idk, I really like both NA and KR TH, but NA TH was a bit meaner. XD
    Well, all in all, most KR players REALLY like TH and Merlin!

Sherri wrote: »
    Wow.. that's pretty dumb. I wonder why they did that? :L
    Kind of why I hate localization.

Well I think it's a cultural thing. The tropes shown commonly in like Japanese and Korean media are very over the top and can be offputting for a western audience. Think about it this way, some NA players already label Altam as a creepy, obsessed fanboy, just imagine what they'd think of KR Alltur... ´ ¬`)...

Whether one dislikes it or not should be up to the one judging. Having things effectivly castrated on a juvenile generalization applies to a large demographic, to have things decided for my assumed delicate western sensibilities, perturbs me greatly.

Give me a faithful and accurate translation, not this watered down localization. If I dislike it due to such factors, then it is not for me.

Localization should be the bane of individuals like us everywhere .

Apologies, just some personal commentary on this pernicious practice, not to you specifically.

SherriTHICCthighssavelives
  • BlankeyeBlankeye
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,640
    edited June 2, 2018
    Whether one dislikes it or not should be up to the one judging. Having things effectivly castrated on a juvenile generalization applies to a large demographic, to have things decided for my assumed delicate western sensibilities, perturbs me greatly.

Give me a faithful and accurate translation, not this watered down localization. If I dislike it due to such factors, then it is not for me.

Localization should be the bane of individuals like us everywhere .

Apologies, just some personal commentary on this pernicious practice, not to you specifically.

I want you to know that I totally agree with you. I'm familiar with both the NA and KR versions of the NPCs (mostly the knights and Aces) and some of the things they changed... Especially with Talvish and Altam, and to a lesser degree Caswyn, had me a little sad. o<-<
    I understand WHY they did it, though I don't exactly agree with it.
    I'm not going to go into huge detail about everything they changed because I don't want to call out the translation team, who probably had directions from higher up people to change what they did. There was a lot they translated well, but I can see many things they did a very "Mabinogi Lite™" version of. (I'm looking at you, Talvish).
    I don't blame anyone for what happened except whoever higher up in the company thought "WOW THAT IS TOO MUCH THESE NA PLAYERS CAN'T HANDLE THAT!!!!!"
    And I assure you it was probably not the translation team that made that call.
    But I won't defend the misrepresentation of some of my favorite NPCs, either.

• KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    here's a product! now try and make some sense of it and give it some backstory and character and.... oh we already proffited off it, who cares let's move onto something else lololol

literally what happened to aces
  • FroglordFroglord
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,020
    It's just Latin guys. geez.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    Blankeye wrote: »
    I guess you could say Alltur is like Altam on 10 Redbull drinks.

I.....am terrified just trying to imagine that.

Me too. XD
  • VenezziaofArcadiaVenezziaofArcadia
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,270
    As long as Altam doesn't turn out to be Ruairi reborn or something to that effect, I'm good.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    The Aces were made basically as glorified advertisements for their respective paid talents. The sagas were the equivalent to a show made to sell toys showing you how great, and awesome the Aces are and YOU TOO can obtain this power by rebirthing into their talents. Funny enough, most of the development and humanization of the Aces came from the director after the one that created them and he didn't really want to work on them all that much. If you don't believe me consider this, RP missions in generations are usually use mechanically to demonstrate new skills or fighting styles, and story wise are used to convey first hand experience to the player for certain events in the past so they can move forward with that information. In saga, RPs are used not to relive past events but to make you take control of an Ace in the vein attempt to show "Look how awesome they are" even though your character is actually NEXT to them or in the same area they are.

I can accept the traditional model of RPs cause those are past memories and you are restricted, but when we're in the present, I want my actual body, my powerful, developed, CHISELED body.
    YokkaichiBlissfulkill