Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Thoughts On G21? (Content And Story)

BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
edited June 16, 2018 in General Chat
Evening there, this thread is meant to discuss a few things in general.

-Our assessment of the content (The raids, the area and its aesthetics, and the new equipment.)
-The quips and criticisms of the narrative
-The tips for attempting to do said content

Content:
I honestly believe we do need clear raid times included in the time table.

As for what I can praise, raids deducting contribution via dying makes not dying quite the incentive. The simplicity of simply doing damage to the bosses is also lovely; no one wants to smash 100 times in a row, and being also able to choose your role is incredibly thrilling.You can choose to be support, garrison, or head, if not medic.

The bosses do a perfect amount of damage for someone like me. Enough to be concerning but not outright annoying. Perhaps best of all, the Sylvan dragon lacks many of the hitbox issues I always had with Red Dragon. I dislike random channel RNG however, but with the auctionboard, this is not nearly as tedious as it would be before.

The area is beautiful and open, but I foresee it being barren in the future without more activities.

Story:

Spoiler on the last few quests, specifically concerning Avelin
Avelin_is_beautiful.png
*Avelins cuts her hair out of guilt

Avelin: "Even though I have a knife here, I will try commiting suicide via smiting myself with my own Judgement Blade!"

Me: "F**cking hardcore Avelin, you damn beautiful woman."

I also love this new hairstyle, to be honest.
  1. How Highly Would You Rate Generation 21?76 votes
    1. 5 Stars!!! :D
       28% (21 votes)
    2. 4 Stars! ;)
       39% (30 votes)
    3. 3 Stars....
       14% (11 votes)
    4. 2 Stars :(
       11% (8 votes)
    5. 1 star? How about no stars?
       8% (6 votes)

Comments

• 3rdy3rdy
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,705
    well....i like it more then g20. not saying much though. i like g14-16 more then i like g20 x-x
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    The raid with Mokku is okay, although I still can't figure out how to NOT die when it uses that circle thingy attack. Although it's partly because I was so focused on looking at my contribution points that I didn't realized he executed that attack lol

The raid with the dragon is so annoying. I usually choose leg attack roles because I was told it was the easiest attack role but sometimes, my character would slash the air like an idiot without actually hitting the dragon. A friend of mine also said it happened to her and I also noticed when there's a swishing sound (coz my character was slashing air), the other players doesn't seem to be able to attack the dragon either. There's also one weird occurrence of not being able to hit the dragon at all at a certain point. I don't know if it's only on my end, but when I reached at the location, ALL the players are only hitting the wisps, the dragon is a good distance away from the players. Wondering why, I loaded final hit and it won't teleport, it won't attack at all, THEN I realized why no one is attacking the dragon. The dragon is just so glitchy overall.

The area is really big, so I was quite annoyed that it's a non flying zone. Had to run around finding the spawns.

As for erg, I only did it to level 5 for the quest, and ignored it cause I know there's no way I will max erg anyways. Those are for the 1%.
  • ZarozianZarozian
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,900
    edited June 16, 2018
    I'd give it 5 or 4 stars purely cause of the story and whoever the writer is did an excellent job, big pat on the back for that, but I probably would of give it a 1 star for those time walls. Those 20-30 minute waits are killer.

Twelie
  • RiddleTricksterRiddleTrickster
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,585
    edited June 16, 2018
    ShouK wrote: »
    The raid with Mokku is okay, although I still can't figure out how to NOT die when it uses that circle thingy attack. Although it's partly because I was so focused on looking at my contribution points that I didn't realized he executed that attack lol

The raid with the dragon is so annoying. I usually choose leg attack roles because I was told it was the easiest attack role but sometimes, my character would slash the air like an idiot without actually hitting the dragon. A friend of mine also said it happened to her and I also noticed when there's a swishing sound (coz my character was slashing air), the other players doesn't seem to be able to attack the dragon either. There's also one weird occurrence of not being able to hit the dragon at all at a certain point. I don't know if it's only on my end, but when I reached at the location, ALL the players are only hitting the wisps, the dragon is a good distance away from the players. Wondering why, I loaded final hit and it won't teleport, it won't attack at all, THEN I realized why no one is attacking the dragon. The dragon is just so glitchy overall.

The area is really big, so I was quite annoyed that it's a non flying zone. Had to run around finding the spawns.

As for erg, I only did it to level 5 for the quest, and ignored it cause I know there's no way I will max erg anyways. Those are for the 1%.

Use Shield/Defense as soon as it starts. That will do it. Then you can keep going.

On the other hand...Talking to Duncan and Kristel. Really did some damage to me there. Feels like the Devs put it like that intentionally *cries*.
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    I'd go for 3. I love the divine knights story, I always did. I also like having mechanics other than "lol let's all collectively use that one skill on the same mob together that allows us to hit together without getting in each other's way" and "kill or be killed in one shot". However, the execution of some of this story is incredibly annoying.

Why do we have field raids spawning only one one channel? I can accept this one, since our population is rather low so it's easier to take a boss down when we all work together. Fair enough.
    But why in all of the god's names is there no easy way to tell where and what boss spawns when, why are there seemingly no notifications on other channels, why is there never proper documentation ingame about any of the features like the erg enhancement that is treated self-explanatory, why do we have to wait 10-30 minues between each quest when you know everyone's gonna do it as quickly as possible or at their own pace? Why involve an npc that spawns once only every damn hour to artifically delay things again? Etc.

Long list of tiny grudges that kinda add up. Easily one of my favorite gens in the game, but some choices baffle me.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    I want to know when we get Part 2! If you look at the bottom right of the G21 page, you'll see something I'm VERY curious about story-wise. I'm actually surprised the guys who made that page put that in. Maybe to make us freak out?
    IreireireireTeasesIyasenu
  • TeasesTeases
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,630
    edited June 16, 2018
    I finally put the Divine Knights above the Alchemist arc after G21's release. Avalon is gorgeous, as was the music. And, the writing in this Generation was excellent.
    Especially during the parts where you have to save Avelin, Altam, Llewelyn from the crystal traps. I wish I could see what Llewelyn was all about, but I chose the former two. Then of course, there's the part with Morrighan and Cichol. And the part at the Soul Stream. And the oddly intimate part with Talvish made my heart go Doki Doki.

I also can't believe I watched Merlin get drunk in a damn cookie tent.

The raids bring back the old White/Black Dragon days. So I guess I'll be spending most of my time trying to get Divine Spellbook and enjoying it while it lasts. c_ c;
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    I really like the story this Generation.

I almost wanna drag the score down for having such wait times between quests, but I guess that'd be lame.
    I am really really anticipating the Part 2 update.
    I hope it's not too long of a wait.
    TwelieSakura2503
  • AeolysAeolys
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,115
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    I almost wanna drag the score down for having such wait times between quests, but I guess that'd be lame.

Remember the good ol' days when we have to wait an entire irl day to get the next G1 quest?
    TeasesKingEphy
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Contributions deducted via dying.

Medics gets points for reviving.

Yeah OK I guess.
    BlissfulkillImaizumi
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    I perhaps should change mine to 5 stars, as there has been QOL changes I so greatly enjoy. Optimization seems to have been significant; Mabinogi no longer eats up memory like a glutton at an all you can eat buffet, and the quickness of bringing up the chatbox is near instantaneous.
    KingEphy
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    tl;dr 4/5 because screw waiting an hour to walk through a freaking door.
    Negatives:
    Honestly story is okay, but the whole feeling was absolutely ruined for me having to wait a quarter hour after finishing a quest, before getting a new one telling me to walk thru a door the NPCes just went thru themselves. The hour-ish waits between quests only work when you put in a lore blurb saying "you should rest" or similar: not between every. single. freaking. quest.
    Also the 'end' to part one left me with no actual hint on it being the end of part 1. And seeing as every quest in this main line had a 15~90 minute wait time between the next arriving I sorta just sat around doing nothing expecting a new quest to come in.
    The role playing segments with Altam and Avelin broke for me a few times because I was already moving to a different position when the game wanted to auto-walk me to the NPC for the Shield of Trust moment. End result was the game never activating the Shield, and the missions getting soft locked.
    Positives:
    Rather enjoyed how some characters were explored a bit further than what we've seen before. Some of the character flaws exposed actually felt like legitimate things that would happen to real people in similar situations, which was kinda nice.
    Avalon is actually kinda pretty. A lot of effort seemed to go into building it, and i can appreciate that.
  • ShouKShouK
    Use Shield/Defense as soon as it starts. That will do it. Then you can keep going.
    I'm talking about the field raid, not the G21 quest lol
  • BlankeyeBlankeye
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,640
    It's really good! And they've mostly stayed true to the KR version this time so I'm really happy about that! In fact, they kinda increased Llywelyn's snark and sarcasm in the NA version which was actually quite funny and endearing, though he was still a great character in the KR version, I kinda like NA Llywelyn better because he's so dang pretentious and passive aggressive it's hilarious. He's so great. I like that we finally got some backstory on the knights that really needed some development (ie Avelin and Altam) some of the boss fights were a bit unfair (what with vague as heck explanations and insta-fails) and the amount of typos was a bit unfortunate but it didn't really take away anything for me. And I got to hug Altam AND Merlin! SO that automatically makes it the best gen!!!

Though I'm really looking forward to seeing the eng part 2, since things get very intense from here on out.
  • LongSlyLongSly
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,210
    3 Starts... only thing that saves it from a 1 star is the story (whatever I have to say about the story has already been said far better).
    This darn final boss Hasiam or whoever is nearly impossible for me to beat. I have to heavily, no SOLELY, rely on paladin transformation just to have a decent chance against it, yet even still I have to retreat frequently to heal me and my soul link pet that's the fastest mount to avoid the double-dash spam this slender-knight does, if I can even predict it. Would be nice if the NPC's actually did decent damage to it instead of poking it with tooth picks to death.

I faced this thing like 10 times, spamming HP and MP pots, Wound Recov pots, everything. Best I gotten down to was 50% and that's with about 30-mins left of the mission STRUGGLING just to survive and hope I don't get hit or be targeted but goes after one of the meat-shield NPCs (rarely does but instead goes after my pet the moment the health bar pops up).

I don't know what else I need to do in order to survive it's attacks other than hit once or twice if given the chance and run (if the game would even register me wanting to mount). I don't even know what to do anymore. I do good damage, just need to survive more than 1-2 hits from it or not be put into low health that easily; whether it's swinging at me or double-dashing at me (which mostly KO's me if targeting me).

Be nice if it didn't hone in on me once it gives its double-dash sign and instead miss me if I get out of the way of the direction it's going to go... would have a MUCH better chance killing it if I have a better chance of surviving that specific attack pattern, and if it did that attack rarely too.

Also, during that battle, every time I get close to the gate of the Ruin City going outward, my game loves to freeze for a second or so just to display "Avalon" and it's description on my screen, misplacing me and leaving me open to be attacked, especially when I'm trying to gain distance from it to heal. If that could be addressed, would make the battle a bit easier for me...

That's my only major issue with this generation, the battles. I don't mind difficulty, but when you rank it up to 11 and then some it becomes less discouraging to even progress.

I like the new area, the music and atmosphere is great. Really love the story. Most of the battles, however, makes it difficult for me to enjoy it fully as it puts me at wits end of wondering "what can I do differently to have a fair chance?"...

The more I keep doing the Alban Knights chapter, with countless retries between all 3 generations, the more I think I probably wasn't ready for this at all...

That's my thoughts of G21.
    CDMaril
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,765
    Leinei wrote: »
    I want to know when we get Part 2! If you look at the bottom right of the G21 page, you'll see something I'm VERY curious about story-wise. I'm actually surprised the guys who made that page put that in. Maybe to make us freak out?

they said in the stream part 2 will be sometime next month and there would likely be another stream before it. I think G21 part 1 is worth at least 4 stars, mostly cause the writing is good and the Avalon area is beautiful. G20 felt extremely lazy with overly easy enemies and really annoying missions. the part where you have to cook for the Alban nights in G20 is a good example as it was nothing more then a waste of time and did not benefit the story in any way at all.
  • RiddleTricksterRiddleTrickster
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,585
    I'm talking about the field raid, not the G21 quest lol

....right on a G21 Thread. Okay.
  • ShouKShouK
    .....and the field raid came with G21.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    .....and the field raid came with G21.

Generation 21 can refer to the content update itself, which should be apparent in my opening post regarding content and story as semi separate categories.
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    Field raid is a total bummer, spawns are random, no time to tell when they will spawn, and what channel they will spawn in first.

I do not like channel hopping for a single boss that will die in under 5 minutes.
    ImaizumiBlissfulkillAeolys