Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Did you made any mistakes when you were a newbie?

Comments

• GenuisenieGenuisenie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,190
    edited January 12, 2017
    Here's a list of my most memorable mistakes.

I also spent a long time (2-3 months) without learning what rebirth is.

I was trying to fight the Gigantic White Wolf field boss, and used the "revive here" button like 10 times, so I had -100% XP and didn't level up for MONTHS until I learned what rebirth was.

I also one time mistook the Giant Red Spider in Alby Basic to be a regular Giant Spider (it looks just like it). Then I died like 3-4 times.

I deleted my old human character because skill resets weren't a thing.

I had no idea there were varying dungeon difficulties, so I joined a random Ciar party back in G8 and unknowingly went into Advanced and got creamed.

I tried to enter Peaca alone back when there was a 4 person requirement.

I had no idea there was a weapon shop in Tir Chonaill for like two weeks, so I wandered with broken swords for a while.

I thought the Trinity Staff was a super rare item and tried to sell it to someone for a million gold.

I bounced around random talents and never focused on finishing a single talent.

I made my Elf assistant character a melee fighter.

I ate any food that dropped, and became really, really fat.

I played default songs with the performance feature active and expected people to give me lots of money for being "a musician".

I tried selling a Shadow of Eweca (extremely old event item) for a million gold.

I had no idea continent warp was a thing; I travelled to and from Iria ON FOOT.

I had no idea you could get to Physis and Connous without a flying mount or someone giving you a ride there.

I went through a moon gate one time (back when they sent you to a pre-defined location) and got murdered by a bear, then waited half an hour for someone to revive me. I was lost for another hour, trying to find my way back to noob town.

I wore a Lava Cat Robe because back in the G8 days, if you wore a Lava Cat Robe you were automatically considered "professional".
    Greta
  • SelzyrSelzyr
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,055
    . _. I started playing the game....bad Selz...BAD!
  • ApplezApplez
    Mabinogi Rep: 500
    Greta
    Greta said:

@Applez maybe because you are Ferghus and you tend to make mistakes? XDDD

Touche, you got me there. XD

• EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    My ping to the servers ranged from 500ms-4000ms.

Most of my newbie days were spent wondering how the hell does anyone fight in this game, let alone pull off actual combat combos. Spent a few years doing life skills and ptjs and had to hire someone to get me through G1 (his party ad said S>Mercenary services lol).

Even though I started back in Pioneers of Iria, it was well past C3 before I completed any mainstream quests, and around C4 when I finally started ranking combat skills.

Also I left stuff in the locked side of the bank tab.
  • MeyMey
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,735
    Let's see.. the mistakes I remember..

1. Before mailboxes were a thing I would drop items from my other account to "trade" it to my own account. It worked with most things, score scrolls mostly. I dropped a Premium Summer '08 dress and logged onto my other account and poof. Had the dress no longer. It wasn't even my dress, it was my sister's RIP.

2. Back before Nuadha robes were in gachas and you could only get them through NPC coins, I accepted a trade for one of my more rarer coins.. The dude offered me I think it was 10mil and a lot of items, so I said sure. I didn't even get the money because he filled the trade window up with items, which was only like 1/4 of the items he was giving me. Completed the trade and he ran off without giving me the gold and the other 3/4s ; w;

3. Some random asked me for a pvp so he could die and revive with Nao to bless his equipment. Me being the little naive one I was said sure. Pvp happened, was killed in 3 hits. ; ; Free win for him and I fell right for the trap.

I think I've made plenty of other mistakes too.. But these are the only ones I can remember off the top of my head, haha!

• Naomii66Naomii66
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,770
    I used to destroy all the event items because I had no idea what they were and thought that they were taking up space. I thought Tir Chonaill was the only place in mabi and was really confused and did part-time jobs for a month there (no WONDER there weren't that much people there). I dropped a DEV cat 10x10 bag on the ground because I had no idea what it was :D I destroyed a tutorial quest because I was scared of killing the wolves so I wandered about confused on what to do.
  • SylviaWolfeSylviaWolfe
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,310
    I had no idea about the value of gold ingame or what gacha items sold for so I bought a ton of gacha items and undersold them in a personal shop at ridiculously low prices (to the point that people would actually try and trade me more gold because they felt bad for the stupid newbie selling training pots for 20k). I didn't know that Belvast existed or that I should probably shop around to get an idea about item/gold worth and hitting 1m in my bank made me feel like a god, even though I probably should've had much more after burning through tons of gachas.
  • KororeKorore
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,765
    edited January 12, 2017
    I used to grind on wolves in Tir Chonaill to level.
    pawcalypsemagicks
  • DaktaroDaktaro
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,335
    edited January 29, 2017
    I thought beginner enchants came off if you died with the item equipped. My friend gave me a Trinity wear as a gift and this was back when Trinity was super rare and expensive. I enchanted it with a beginner enchant like.. i'll die eventually and it will come off and I can put something else on it later. But then I realised the truth and now that 8 squares outfit is stuck in my Me tab or bank for all eternity =_=
    Idk how I thought that but I did.

Also was trying so hard to rank all skills without resetting. Bought a raccoon cub pirate gear and everything. Did skills like windmill, enthralling etc no problem. Buttttt I somehow forgot Shock................. and now my CP is waaay too high to train it even with CP gear. So i'm gonna have to reset at some point just for that skill. To master Hydra probably as well. I only have the "strong" req left for that but idk where to find 8 strong enemies that I can train on. Ghhhh TT v TT
    Edit: update!! shock ended out to be way easier than i thought and rank 1'd it during master plan event without resetting woop woop
  • LetusLetus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,130
    Didnt realize there were blacksmiths besides fergus until the Bangor seal broke
  • AeolysAeolys
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,115
    edited January 14, 2017
    My biggest mistake was to go all into archery.
    Once upon a time, post-open-beta, archery was the bee's knees. Arrow revolver didn't have a cooldown and windmill will use the bow's attack. Since I was very into life skills and crafting, I got plenty of dex and thus I hit hard.
    THEN theres: arrow revolver stamina cost increase, windmill uses barehanded damage with a bow equipped, elves were introduced with the double ranged attack, GENESIS happened and slapped cooldowns on everything and latency issues became worse. Now archery is the thing that you stay away from.
    Yup...
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited January 14, 2017
    I can't really remember anymore, it's been so long. I dunno, repairing my stuff at Ferghus without blessings? That's one I can remember. What I do vaguely remember is having to figure everything out by myself or screaming for help. lol.
  • NilremNilrem
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,880
    I never tried to level a lot or get powerful until many, many years of playing the game.

I pretty much did next to nothing of value in my early days.
  • stormhammerstormhammer
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,465
    I thought rebirthing would make me lose everything, back when your first rebirth required you to be level 20 or something.
    So I made sure, by dying and reviving on the spot over and over, that I would have -99.99% exp and I would never get to level 20 and rebirth.
    Eventually I bit the bullet and decided to do it, after digging myself out from that exp hole, but first I sold all my stuff at like 1 gold a piece cause I thought it would be gone anyway. I didn't have anything worth much at total level 20, but still.

I also put off G1 until total level 3000. I don't know why. I already had giant transform from the old quests, so I guess I just forgot about it. I actually asked for help from guild mates to do the early generations, so a party of total level ~15k marched into those dungeons.

And while not in game, I feel the need to say that when I joined mabi, I would turdpost on these forums all day long. The posts I made were so annoying that I still cringe about them to this day. When someone recognized me from the forums in game, I was mortified and never did it again.

Also I discovered mabi before I discovered the rest of the internet, so when people were making memes and references on the forums, I thought they were specific to mabi. I had no idea what the TF2 engie nope gif was about, and i thought it was a mabi reference. I wasn't a smart kid.
    Tsumikki
  • ShoogShoog
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,535
    My biggest mistake when I was a newblet was dropping a lava cat robe on Alby's altar. Back then, those robes were really pricey and it took me forever to save up enough gold to buy one. I was doing some Alby runs and stopped to rearrange my inventory. I dropped the robe (without thinking since I was standing on the altar) so I could pick it back up momentarily after rearranging my inventory, but to my horror I found myself entering the dungeon. /facepalm After that, I started grinding fossils so I could get another robe. Took forever but I managed to get one again.
  • pawcalypsepawcalypse
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,705
    During the early days of the game, it was harsh and at times forgiving during combat against monsters. The game also made it easy to learn (the combat system) as quickly as you made mistakes.
    Dying was sort of fun since there were a lot of players going through the same experience and many were there to revive you. Reviving others gave Exp which encouraged players to help others. Helping in raids and field bosses was a ton of fun when you are still new to the combat-system since the monsters move around and you can also run away - like a game of tag, virtual-tag. The game also allows hide-and-go-seek since the monsters can become obstructed by objects or walls.
  • CapnReconCapnRecon
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,055
    Getting Ancient Magic Powder off of Ancients and selling them 20k a pop in Dunby because I thought magic powder was garbage. Wasn't fun learning the actual price of them when I was a noob after selling so many.

Something I regret to this day is dropping my old Black Outing Uniform shoes in Filia because I preferred some Sandra Sniper Suit boots I found in a clothing store. Basically everything had taxes on it that I couldn't afford as a noob. In fact, until yesterday, I had the matching Black Outing Earring in the Lost and Found because I couldn't afford the 15k to get it out.

Then there was my nooby ignorance of the existence of Belvast. Back when I started, Dunby used to have a bunch of cool stuff there instead of the absolute trash people sell there today. Since the shop limit was 2.25m there, I managed to convince myself everything in the game was in that price range and ended up under pricing tons of stuff. When I came back in 2014, I was not pleased to discover Belvast. Seriously, screw that island. It crushed all the dreams I had as a noob.

A more recent mistake was with the Fate gacha. I logged in about two minutes after the servers went back up, and passed on a chance to nab a Saber Dress for 1m. Punched myself in the head when I saw how high the price on them shot two hours later.

Then of course there was the Windmill epidemic. RIP four WM training pots later down the line.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    Oh man, I remember NPCing away my elf Chinese Dragon Armor... only to buy an Idol ribbon dress and some dyes.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    @Darkpixie99 -facepalms!-
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    @Gaea Yeah, I couldn't agree more, but at least I got the gold I needed back then from gachapons. *sob*