Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Weekly Loc Discussion: Favorite G21 Character?

KatherzKatherz
Mabinogi Rep: 21,640
edited June 20, 2018 in Weekly Loc Discussion Archive
Howdy, everyone! After all the anticipation, G21 part 1 is finally out. How do you like it so far? We've put a lot of love and care into each twist and turn of the story, and we hope it paid off.

For this week's story discussion, we've been thinking a lot about the Alban Knights (understandably!), who have really come to the forefront lately. It got us curious: who is your favorite character in this update, and why? The story does a pretty solid job characterizing each of them, so maybe it falls to a matter of personal preference. Or, it could just be someone whose design really clicks with you (Talvish's suave shampoo-commercial hair~).

We're looking forward to seeing who the crowd favorites are, so let us know what you think!

-The Mabinogi Localization Team
Iyasenu

Comments

• JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    As of right now, Avelin has grown on me a lot more; I understand why she's so... cautious and untrusting. I feel way to much empathy over created characters, but her time in the crystal hit me harder then anything to do with the other characters.
    Greta
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Llewelyn.

His beautiful and intelligent eyes :D
  • Sphyra21Sphyra21
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,555
    Caswyn! I love his laid-back-but-totally-in-control attitude. And ofc his looks. XD ♥♥♥
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    Caswyn, I'v had my eye on him since g20 (Since he was revealed in KR) Please give Caswyn mini gem.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Archelon, obviously.
    e888af0b3c.png
    Best character gets two seconds of screentime and promptly dies in an explosion.

See you in part 2, you ridiculous tortoise.

But seriously, I like Altam and Avelin's backstory parts.
    So one of those two... I wish Llywelyn hadn't broken out before we could've seen his backstory as well.
    KatherzJazmynEdethaCeviRiddleTricksterRowlette
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    edited June 21, 2018
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    Archelon, obviously.
    e888af0b3c.png
    Best character gets two seconds of screentime and promptly dies in an explosion.

See you in part 2, you ridiculous tortoise.

But seriously, I like Altam and Avelin's backstory parts.
    So one of those two... I wish Llywelyn hadn't broken out before we could've seen his backstory as well.

I question where Llywelyn's loyalty lies, and am curious if that's why his story wasn't shown. I may be too skeptical though....
  • DyIanDyIan
    Mabinogi Rep: 580
    It’s a hard one. I do really like that all of the knights have much more flushed out personalities and back stories. We get to see a lot of them more, and it makes them all more complex. I’m going to have to say that my fondness for Aveline has definitely gone up.

****mild spoilers *****

I really enjoyed the moment when she cut her hair off. She’s always been one of the most put together knights of the group. And to find out that she was being tracked, and blaming herself was pretty rough.

I have to ask.. does anyone know if this is the end of generations in Mabinogi? I get that it’s called Finale, because it’s the finale of the divine knights saga... but as things started unfolding, it’s really feeling like something major. They have started bringing little bits of everything together, even very nostalgic moments from G1. Even characters like Millia, Dian Cecht, the black wizard, and Shylock. I’m not saying it’s the end of the game... but, is this the end of the storyline? Or will it be going somewhere different? I’m not sure what was said in Korea etc.

Llewelyn has something odd going on also. The perfume, the fact that we can never seem to know much about him. Makes me curious ;) but I like him!
    Jazmyn
  • RiddleTricksterRiddleTrickster
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,585
    DyIan wrote: »
    It’s a hard one. I do really like that all of the knights have much more flushed out personalities and back stories. We get to see a lot of them more, and it makes them all more complex. I’m going to have to say that my fondness for Aveline has definitely gone up.

****mild spoilers *****

I really enjoyed the moment when she cut her hair off. She’s always been one of the most put together knights of the group. And to find out that she was being tracked, and blaming herself was pretty rough.

I have to ask.. does anyone know if this is the end of generations in Mabinogi? I get that it’s called Finale, because it’s the finale of the divine knights saga... but as things started unfolding, it’s really feeling like something major. They have started bringing little bits of everything together, even very nostalgic moments from G1. Even characters like Millia, Dian Cecht, the black wizard, and Shylock. I’m not saying it’s the end of the game... but, is this the end of the storyline? Or will it be going somewhere different? I’m not sure what was said in Korea etc.

Llewelyn has something odd going on also. The perfume, the fact that we can never seem to know much about him. Makes me curious ;) but I like him!

Llewelyns perfume is due to him needing to blend in with the regular people. Supposedly he does undercover missions outside. There must be more to what is going on with him for sure.
    The characters are nicely done, it's hard to have a favorite. I love how Altam has more to him than a basic happy go lucky fan boy, he gets angry, has some dark moments, has doubts, etc. Avelin was a character that grew on me as well, she feels like a respectful character. Also when she cut off her hair, couldn't help but think it was a Sakura moment xD.

I do think Hadism needs a bit of tweaking though. With the charging and almost no ability to do strategy using the environment, it just ends up having us needing to just tank. Also, the knights freeze in place around the 20 something minute mark. This mission hurt. I'm still not done recovering. *cries*
    JazmynDyIanBlissfulkill
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited June 24, 2018
    Avelin was a character that grew on me as well, she feels like a respectful character. Also when she cut off her hair, couldn't help but think it was a Sakura moment xD.

LOL, i thought i was the only one thinking that. I was like "This looks too familiar... Did one of Nexon employees watched old Naruto series recently?"
    RiddleTrickster
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Greta wrote: »
    Avelin was a character that grew on me as well, she feels like a respectful character. Also when she cut off her hair, couldn't help but think it was a Sakura moment xD.

LOL, i thought i was the only one thinking that. I was like "This looks too familiar... Did one of Nexon employees watched old Naruto series recently?"

It is a fairly common trope.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ImportantHaircut

Growing hair is a time reliant investment, so it is seen as an sign presaging further changes in anticipation of some great event. For female character, this is particularly powerful as women are often depicted cross culturally with long hair. When a character cuts their hair, it is supposed to signal a change, either of maturity or even a regression.
  • DyIanDyIan
    It’s really not even just a female thing. Cutting of ones own hair is a big symbol for both genders, especially considering she was also on the verge of pretty much committing suicide. It seems to be what all of them were going through, even the milletian. The tainted traps were making everyone fall into the deepest moments of despair in their lives, until the only way out seemed to be to die, or in some way end it all. Cutting off your own hair happens a lot in a person, not necessarily in a negative context, but in many ways. It tends to happen in a persons breaking point, when a change needs to happen, whether it be for the good or the bad of that person. Often times it involves the “self” of said person feeling dissasociated with the body. That feeling of “I just don’t know who I am anymore” or, “I don’t want to be this anymore.” A change is needed. And it is an act of control. To physically cut off ones own hair is a huge act of self control. It’s like a statement to the “self” in you, that you ARE in control, even if nothing feels like you are. And you can change everything, like a confirmation that you can do it, you can take this dark cloud away, be strong, and overcome anything.

Don’t ask me what I do for a living. *cough*

I also kind of feel like.... if any of you are feeling this way, please know that you’re not alone, and there are people who you can talk to and trust, even complete strangers who care about you.

So um, can we get some super happy fun event that’s all cheerful, like.... um... cookie trees or something because I just bummed everyone out lol.

Do it for Dylan, Nexon... do it for Aveline.
    JazmynBlissfulkill
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited June 25, 2018
    DyIan wrote: »
    It’s really not even just a female thing. Cutting of ones own hair is a big symbol for both genders, especially considering she was also on the verge of pretty much committing suicide. It seems to be what all of them were going through, even the milletian. The tainted traps were making everyone fall into the deepest moments of despair in their lives, until the only way out seemed to be to die, or in some way end it all. Cutting off your own hair happens a lot in a person, not necessarily in a negative context, but in many ways. It tends to happen in a persons breaking point, when a change needs to happen, whether it be for the good or the bad of that person. Often times it involves the “self” of said person feeling dissasociated with the body. That feeling of “I just don’t know who I am anymore” or, “I don’t want to be this anymore.” A change is needed. And it is an act of control. To physically cut off ones own hair is a huge act of self control. It’s like a statement to the “self” in you, that you ARE in control, even if nothing feels like you are. And you can change everything, like a confirmation that you can do it, you can take this dark cloud away, be strong, and overcome anything.

Don’t ask me what I do for a living. *cough*

I also kind of feel like.... if any of you are feeling this way, please know that you’re not alone, and there are people who you can talk to and trust, even complete strangers who care about you.

So um, can we get some super happy fun event that’s all cheerful, like.... um... cookie trees or something because I just bummed everyone out lol.

Do it for Dylan, Nexon... do it for Aveline.

It is a "female" thing in many cultures, but not solely a "female" thing. Women have typically been portrayed with long hair, and it is expected to do so. Long hair being shortened with a hasty cut is more conspicuous than its male counterparts, and this is further emphasized with how societal expectations are women versus men.

Quite simply, it is more noticeable to go from waist length hair to a buzz cut than it is to go from a three inch long to 2.5 inch long hair. At least, within the cultures I have become acquainted with. Combined with the rigid standards and many quandaries females can face, in the last few centuries with a gradually burgeoning focus on issues pertaining to females, it is doubtless that it would be put to pen and paper countless times, and that such a thing would become strongly associated with female characters.

Which I agree with your view, but felt the need to clarify that this was my view as well.

@Dylan
  • DyIanDyIan
    Hey Bliss, I totally agree with you. I'm the "today" that we live in, it's absolutey the case when it comes to women having long hair, and showing the drastic transformation. Im other cultures and much older cultures, men had long hair to signify their strength, power, or status, and had it cut as a way of shunning them etc.

Jeez, hair definitely holds a lot of weight in things eh? Lol. Its one of the biggest tools we use to express ourselves, if we choose to do so. Even if we choose the "messy bedhead" look.... it still helps define us. Though we have many other ways to do that as well (so everyone stop worrying about losing your hair)
    Jazmyn