Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

what would mabinogi look like in a new engine

SplatulatedSplatulated
Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
in Town Square
like unreal 4 ?

[Deleted User]

Comments

• BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    It'd look nice, but would probably lack the (for lack of a better term) 'anime' look in terms of shading and coloring.
    [Deleted User]Greta
  • NasumiRayneNasumiRayne
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,265
    edited January 15, 2017
    It would be scary to imagine. UE4 is one of the few engine to pull off astounding photorealism(*) that is easy to mistake for being an actual photo. If an engine can pull the such off it can easily pull off the needed filters to give it an 'anime' look far as shading and coloring. Though, UE4 would be a bit overkill for the ilk.

* = http://www.gamespot.com/articles/these-unreal-engine-4-scenes-are-unbelievably-real/1100-6428589/
    [Deleted User]Hyoukari
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited January 15, 2017
    It would look identical to how it looks now.

It would simply have a better.... more stable... framerate.

An engine swap is not an asset swap
    looks =//= performance
    Daktaropawcalypse[Deleted User]
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    edited January 15, 2017
    You'd still have to remake everything in this engine into the other. I haven't really heard of an UR4 asset looking quite like what Mabi has in terms of style, though I guess it's possible.
    [Deleted User]
  • taninotanino
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,685
    let me just remind you all of this old remake of tir...
    http://imgur.com/a/aUfq0
    [Deleted User]NasumiRayneMhaolSeimoreCrazy_WhaleAeolys
  • KororeKorore
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,765
    tanino
    tanino said:

let me just remind you all of this old remake of tir...
    http://imgur.com/a/aUfq0
    That is so beautiful, I want it now.
    [Deleted User]Berryswirl
  • taninotanino
    Buffalos probably remembers that imgur post from years ago, still wish mabi would look nearly as good as that to these days, but hey, some ppl find the retro look to be an appeal to the game.
    [Deleted User]
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited January 16, 2017
    But we can't have nice things like that. The engine is just too old. That's why I thought when Mabinogi II -was- going to come out it was going to be something like that. But no it was just a weird version of Mabinogi Heroes (Vindictus).

I hope that someday in the future that they decide to create a true Mabinogi II (like what they did with maplestory). Because lets face it, at some point this game -will- die. We can say nay to that till our faces our blue even despite the strong community we have. But someday...it will happen. I just hope before it does they revisit Mabinogi and do something like that artist rendered and keep our world alive.

Mabinogi is love, Mabinogi is...life.

lol.

Serious though.
    [Deleted User]IrisMabiPannyaSherriAstralBlueCrazy_Whale
  • taninotanino
    edited January 15, 2017
    My concern is that Korea doesn't allocate enough of a budget to the game to revisit its entire artwork, its quite obvious by the game's performance that its current graphics are already pushing the limits of its game engine.

It'd be quite difficult to overhaul mabinogi's graphics without changing the engine, and even if this change were to occur, without a new engine, the system requirements would just be too much for most people to handle.
    [Deleted User]
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited January 15, 2017
    We already know that. As I said the engine is too old. Sure they have been pretty creative with it over the past couple of years, but ultimately there is only so much you can do.

That's why I hope for a Mabinogi II in the future with newer and better engines. Whether it be 5 years or even a decade down the road. We would start anew, but we would carry over our memories to the new and improved world. We could experience everything again and we can all be there together.

TT^TT

I made myself cry, lol.
    [Deleted User]NasumiRayneRiddleTricksterSherriAstralBlue
  • taninotanino
    Hardmuscle

@tanino

I too remember that album from years ago...

It was the first thing that came to mind when I read the title of this thread; and if you hadn't posted it, I would have. ☺♥
    So much memories with this game. A lot of people would agree that while an overhaul would be nice, some would miss the oldschool look of mabi though.
    [Deleted User]
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    edited January 15, 2017
    Not really no. If the reproduction was done recklessly with one of the template-pushing engines like the ones given out to the public like unity/cry/uE it would definitely involve lots of remade stuff and take forever, since those engines are made for ``throwing things together`` . And it would probably be insanely buggy and crash-prone

But any normal engine overhaul simply involves getting the new engine to run off of the old tagset. The hand and finger nodes on a 3D hand model are still hand and finger nodes :)

And once the file formats are recognized, things like behavior and final appearance can simply be fixed in one large sweep
    [Deleted User]
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    @tanino =let me just remind you all of this old remake of tir...
    http://imgur.com/a/aUfq0=

Yup this is the one I was thinking. I really don't think it's possible to get this game's art style into UR4 without it looking bad, so most people go for the hyper-realistic style and it goes really well.

@Kouyioue If that were true, I would imagine that Korea would have already done something like that as it would be a clearly beneficial investment. They've had over a decade to do engine experimentation if they were going to try and pursue that path, so I'm really doubtful they'll try anything new for this game.

• KouyioueKouyioue
    edited January 15, 2017
    But you also have to remember that with a game this old(2002) it probably only has a skeleton-crew left running it who're probably only capable of small scripted events and minor bug fixes for every `one month` of work, nearly none of the original devteam from the original game, poorly written notes and documentation of their own source code, corporate overwork_underpay, etc
    [Deleted User]
  • PannyaPannya
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,710
    Please don't mix realistic stuff with anime art style, that use to be a really bad idea :-P
    WolfandWolf
  • BerryswirlBerryswirl
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,140
    @tanino

That remake TT so gorgeous
  • RiddleTricksterRiddleTrickster
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,585
    edited January 16, 2017
    Mabi's style is just due to the time it was in, Blade and soul made not too long after can be seen to have the same art similarities. In fact bnS is made by unrealengine so.... if made by it Mabi will most likely just look more advanced. It could have the same feel.
    However Mabi being remade into a realistic real-world form will make it become a dream game in my opinion.
    It needs a new proficient engine with huge optimization capability ( And a server mirror) we can only hopefor.
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    @Hardmuscle the engine and engines you listed are unrealistic to mabinogi. Unity can not handle large scale mmorpg games nor can it handle large player base like ours. Unreal 4 might do but people like me will have problems since the whole engine is build for desktop computers not laptops. Cryengine will make the developers cry, plus the company will not give it to nexon for free because they are making millions. Torque is horrible, people do play on Mac and Linux on mabinogi, nexon will never abandoned its 30% of playerbase for windows users. Not is not smart and money will be lost not gain.
  • ShaeliShaeli
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,430
    With our diminshed player base, I seriously doubt the NA Mabi servers are doing much better than breaking even, let alone making Nexon millions. We have, what, maybe 2000-3000 active players left?
  • SplatulatedSplatulated
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
    Shaeli
    Shaeli said:

With our diminshed player base, I seriously doubt the NA Mabi servers are doing much better than breaking even, let alone making Nexon millions. We have, what, maybe 2000-3000 active players left?
    Still lots <3
    [Deleted User]
This discussion has been closed.