Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

its probably just me

steelsugarsteelsugar
Mabinogi Rep: 830
edited July 5, 2018 in General Chat
im basically new. i played for a while a few months back, but stopped. I kinda know why now returning. the fighting system is very infurating to me. i went cringey youtuber rage scream at the game in this dungeon where the kubold where just taking 60 health per hit and im here with 200 hp having to come back to the same spot 30 plus time. i just rebirthed so that may have something to do with it but regardless. I have a gold title combat and i am now a naieve ninja and im trying to get that up.
I have been playing aura kingdom for a while and with there easy missions and fighting mechanics ive been spolied. I love this game i love the profession system and the pet system. i just wish in terms of fighting and missioning i wish it was like aura kingdom. one basic storyline, auto trageting and all that
im not hating on this game, but when im shouting at the top of my lungs "hit the guy ffs" then its time for me to quit. for what its worth i did enjoy the game. I do think they are spoiling new players but they are helping in all the wrong areas. dont ask me which areas, because i do not know. all i know is i was basically served 80 ap on a silver plater and was still raging.

Comments

• BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited July 5, 2018
    First, type proper English.

Secondly, play smarter, not harder. Ninja isn't quite what I call a sustainable skill set, as it relies on power attacks and utility that are balanced by a long cool down. Essentially, you will be able to properly spam it unlike skills like Chain Blades, Warrior, and fighter. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

In any case, some dungeons are not meant to be run by newer players. What dungeon instance were you running?

You can also auto target by pressing tab to focus on enemies in terms of closest proximity.

@steelsugar
    Gaby5011
  • MizukoMizuko
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,315
    Dungeons used to be super easy before the revamp. After the revamp, they can tank more hits before falling. I think he was running Math Dungeon because he was referring to a Kobold.

I recommend not doing ninja because it is a late game talent. If you need help, just find people on a busy channel.
    Imaizumi
  • steelsugarsteelsugar

Secondly, play smarter, not harder. Ninja isn't quite what I call a sustainable skill set, as it relies on power attacks and utility that are balanced by a long cool down. Essentially, you will be able to properly spam it unlike skills like Chain Blades, Warrior, and fighter. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

In any case, some dungeons are not meant to be run by newer players. What dungeon instance were you running?

You can also auto target by pressing tab to focus on enemies in terms of closest proximity.

@steelsugar

ok thanks for the advice, but i do not understand where you get off telling people speak proper English on a gaming forum when that may as well not even be there first language
    Kedarui
  • MizukoMizuko
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,315
    edited July 5, 2018
    steelsugar wrote: »

@steelsugar

ok thanks for the advice, but i do not understand where you get off telling people speak proper English on a gaming forum when that may as well not even be there first language

He meant to say that you need to improve your English grammar when you type. Speaking is not related to the topic. The first post has a lot of grammar problems that you need to fix it.

@steelsugar

To be fair, I am actually incredibly stupid, and thus have a difficult time understanding such content when it isn't presented in a more legible manner.

A few grammar mistakes do not bother me, but I genuinely wish to know what it is that you are attempting to communicate. I apologize if it came off as rude, because it did, and I regret not wording my actual disatisfaction.
    TheNyanCatTwelie
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    I think ninja is stated as a starter skill talent because it's more mobile. Much like the knockback hit and run. The skill tree is what makes it more feasible and there was quite a bit of controversy over why it was in the starter skill area.

As for auto-targeting, it does have a target lock or free range according to near your cursor targeting. This is done in the settings menu. As well as how to cycle your attacks. (eg: when you click you auto attack). It does take time to get used to the different system, but essentially it does have a lock target and cycle target feature. Most people use the cursor targeting feature. You will have to test out what is best for you.

There are different generations of storyline, some of which branches out allowing you to partake in them at any time. Others you have to do in sequence. They did try to differentiate them, but for the beginning you have to do the quests in general to access the main one which can be confusing at first. It is understandable that they want you to clear some basic quests before it starts as it gives out starting items that seem outdated. This needs to be revamped, but it already took them years to recode the dungeons as well as Tir because the original coders tied everything together instead of separate it out. Tis why they have to allocate more resources to undo and redo the coding since one change in one area effected the rest of mabi (of course not the newer content after Irias).

I have played aura kingdom as well and the mechanics are really different. The auto run quest features and whatnot are nice to have as well as the main quests highlighted so not to be confused as well as item creation and gathering. I used to do dungeon runs where I could fight and rest and change classes which was a challenge and was essential to more advance players when the game was starting. I'm not sure how it fairs nowadays as it has been a long time since the release of the game.

Mabinogi has what is called battle flow and it's really not taught to the newer players. This is something that goes back from closed beta to Generation 1 and has mostly been forgotten since free rebirths came out. There are different combinations and free reign of skill tree talents available to the player which is nice yet overbearing for beginners as they have no idea where to start off and what to do with so many skills to obtain. It also does not help when the latency becomes an issue as well as attacks on the server atop of it. The game is great like you said, the rest......well let's just say....and that....is that.
  • steelsugarsteelsugar
    edited July 6, 2018
    Multi-posts have been merged. Please do not spam posts.

asnscorpio wrote: »
    I think ninja is stated as a starter skill talent because it's more mobile. Much like the knockback hit and run. The skill tree is what makes it more feasible and there was quite a bit of controversy over why it was in the starter skill area.

As for auto-targeting, it does have a target lock or free range according to near your cursor targeting. This is done in the settings menu. As well as how to cycle your attacks. (eg: when you click you auto attack). It does take time to get used to the different system, but essentially it does have a lock target and cycle target feature. Most people use the cursor targeting feature. You will have to test out what is best for you.

There are different generations of storyline, some of which branches out allowing you to partake in them at any time. Others you have to do in sequence. They did try to differentiate them, but for the beginning you have to do the quests in general to access the main one which can be confusing at first. It is understandable that they want you to clear some basic quests before it starts as it gives out starting items that seem outdated. This needs to be revamped, but it already took them years to recode the dungeons as well as Tir because the original coders tied everything together instead of separate it out. Tis why they have to allocate more resources to undo and redo the coding since one change in one area effected the rest of mabi (of course not the newer content after Irias).

I have played aura kingdom as well and the mechanics are really different. The auto run quest features and whatnot are nice to have as well as the main quests highlighted so not to be confused as well as item creation and gathering. I used to do dungeon runs where I could fight and rest and change classes which was a challenge and was essential to more advance players when the game was starting. I'm not sure how it fairs nowadays as it has been a long time since the release of the game.

Mabinogi has what is called battle flow and it's really not taught to the newer players. This is something that goes back from closed beta to Generation 1 and has mostly been forgotten since free rebirths came out. There are different combinations and free reign of skill tree talents available to the player which is nice yet overbearing for beginners as they have no idea where to start off and what to do with so many skills to obtain. It also does not help when the latency becomes an issue as well as attacks on the server atop of it. The game is great like you said, the rest......well let's just say....and that....is that.

wow, your very knowledgeable, but yeah "difficult" mmorpgs are not for me. i prefer the casual easy going ones thats more social than anything. Iv'e started playing wakfu to its more strategic and less skill, which i enjoy as well
    Mizuko wrote: »
    He meant to say that you need to improve your English grammar when you type. Speaking is not related to the topic. The first post has a lot of grammar problems that you need to fix it.
    its a GAMING forum not lit class <3
    To be fair, I am actually incredibly stupid, and thus have a difficult time understanding such content when it isn't presented in a more legible manner.

A few grammar mistakes do not bother me, but I genuinely wish to know what it is that you are attempting to communicate. I apologize if it came off as rude, because it did, and I regret not wording my actual disatisfaction.

its fine. just watch what you say. I am sorry, but you came off as a little inconsiderate. Ask the others, if you are having trouble understanding what i am saying. I am not typing all this again

speaking.....typing its not really that different.

you can also make grammar mistake in speaking to

for example:

you did good: wrong

you did well: right

thats a common mistake made in grammar that is in speaking as well as typing. I understand there are mistake that can be made in typing that cant be made in speaking ( such as typos) , but regardless they are not much different so i use them interchangeably

i also speak when i type, so thats contributes to it as well.
  • FeliceFelice
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,790
    I guess I'll point this out since everyone seems to be so focused on either the OP's literacy or lack there of, or whether or not Ninja is a newbie-friendly talent.

Goblins, Kobolds and Imps are monsters in Mabi that I have nicknamed "Newbie Killers". They are smallish, unassuming and overall fodder like in most RPGs. However, in Mabinogi, they have a much higher Critical Proc rate than most anything else. The exception to this are Imps, which are known for spamming Lightning Bolt. New Players tend to NOT have high defensive stats or armor early-game when they start encountering these mobs, and as a result of treating them like they are in every other RPG, they rush in and get Crit-smacked to death or roasted with lightning.

Regarding your choices of skills, by the sounds of it, you got to Expert Warrior and then switched to Ninja. This is both a smart and foolish choice. Smart in the sense that Ninja's Damage is calculated based on your Strength and Will stats, and Warrior is one of the largest sources of Strength. Ninja also gives you a ranged melee attack as your normal attack. This choices is Foolish in the sense that you are trading a trained up talent for a novice one, so unless you properly blend ranked skills from warrior into your combat with ninja, you will just not have all the damage potential you would as a full warrior.

There is also a fair bit of info lacking to offer better help. Such as weapon and skill choices you used when fighting as a warrior and getting crit-smacked around. Did you use Counter at all? Did you use Defense at all? Windmill? or did you just run in with Smash trying to OP-stomp them, only to have the attack order overwritten by the Kobolds using a Normal Attack or Counter? There are people out there willing to help you get better at mabi, but honestly, the Forums are one of the worst places to find it.
    MizukiHayamaGretaVeylaineImaizumiBronzebreakKingEphyTheNyanCatTwelieCiri
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Felice wrote: »
    I guess I'll point this out since everyone seems to be so focused on either the OP's literacy or lack there of, or whether or not Ninja is a newbie-friendly talent.

Goblins, Kobolds and Imps are monsters in Mabi that I have nicknamed "Newbie Killers". They are smallish, unassuming and overall fodder like in most RPGs. However, in Mabinogi, they have a much higher Critical Proc rate than most anything else. The exception to this are Imps, which are known for spamming Lightning Bolt. New Players tend to NOT have high defensive stats or armor early-game when they start encountering these mobs, and as a result of treating them like they are in every other RPG, they rush in and get Crit-smacked to death or roasted with lightning.

Regarding your choices of skills, by the sounds of it, you got to Expert Warrior and then switched to Ninja. This is both a smart and foolish choice. Smart in the sense that Ninja's Damage is calculated based on your Strength and Will stats, and Warrior is one of the largest sources of Strength. Ninja also gives you a ranged melee attack as your normal attack. This choices is Foolish in the sense that you are trading a trained up talent for a novice one, so unless you properly blend ranked skills from warrior into your combat with ninja, you will just not have all the damage potential you would as a full warrior.

There is also a fair bit of info lacking to offer better help. Such as weapon and skill choices you used when fighting as a warrior and getting crit-smacked around. Did you use Counter at all? Did you use Defense at all? Windmill? or did you just run in with Smash trying to OP-stomp them, only to have the attack order overwritten by the Kobolds using a Normal Attack or Counter? There are people out there willing to help you get better at mabi, but honestly, the Forums are one of the worst places to find it.

Which is quite sad since pre-genesis those mobs were far more dangerous to beginners since they were pretty similar to beginners in terms of skills and strength. But there's a reason why Warrior is listed as a beginner talent. It offers you a robust combat set that comes with some defensive stats as str increases def as well. It's perfect for beginners because of the larger HP pool and higher defenses and lower enemies rarely have magic attacks so you'd only need to worry about physical damage.
    Blissfulkill
  • JJJJ
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,400
    Felice wrote: »
    Ninja also gives you a ranged melee attack as your normal attack.
    I thought that was for chains. Shuriken normal attacks work against whites/wights.

Also, I should probably apologise for this:
    violetkittBlissfulkill
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Though beginners get a free suit of light armor near the beginning of G1, I think it's far better for a newbie's survivability to get some kind of heavy armor and to work up towards Rank 1 Heavy Armor Mastery, asap.

Especially if they're choosing combat methods aren't heavily affected by the Dexterity penalty Heavy Armor Mastery gives when wearing heavy armor.
    Close Combat and Ninja are good for this, since neither use Dexterity as their weapon damage stats.

And hey, shields and Shield Mastery are good if you're using a one-handed weapon with close combat.
    You can really stretch your HP further if you're using heavy armor and a shield.
    Both of their Mastery skills are cheap on AP and simple to rank. (it's as easy as getting hit)
  • ZephyrmaruZephyrmaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,430
    Im really not trying to be mean, but...

If this guy had a gold warrior talent and is still failing against a kobold, hes prolly not at all a gamer, and should just quit real MMOs if hes not just extremely young and can't grasp it yet. And it comes off as mean, but I honestly mean it from a caring place. It sounds like with his current mindset he will just fail over and over and never succeed.

1) He says he'd rather this game just have a more mindless and simple combat progression system instead of challenging himself a little. And I think we can all agree Mabinogi is complicated and not simple just on a nurturing your skillset basis. But Mabi combat is more muscle reflex and critical thinking as well, and someone who wants to just kinda click and win isnt going to win at mabi...unless they buy some pets. :^) You have to either spend on time practicing the combat and getting the rhythm down, or just play a hack and slash like dynasty warriors. A lot of other MMORPGs are the same as well, you have to master the flow/timing before you can make your combos shine.

2) I'll say that soloing a dungeon isnt a good idea for a new player, but this dude was a expert+ warrior already and ninja isnt super complicated either... I had two guildies last night for example, one ttlv 200 and the other ttlv 100 duo barri dungeon after 45 minutes. The ttlv 100 had no gear but was an alt of a lv5000(Warrior Talent), and the other was an elf archer who literally started Mabi last week. The 100 one spent the whole time saying how hard it was to fight things with only defense, smash, and no windmill and no pets like clouds to save them, and they died once. The other died twice in the first two rooms, then never died again till near the end because they began to get the hang of it. Now, I had to go and kill the boss for them, so that parts moot, but if two beginners with beginner weapons can (almost) clear barri, an expert+ can kill a kobold.

I don't think the problems the guy's ability to 'git gud'. I think he's prolly really clever. But you're better off not playing if you can't challenge yourself and improve as a gamer, and instead sink into negative thought about how the game must be broken, not my current skill level.
  • RandomguyonmabiRandomguyonmabi
    Mabinogi Rep: 745
    im not hating on this game, but when im shouting at the top of my lungs "hit the guy ffs" then its time for me to quit.

How exactly are you fighting them? Are you just clicking (auto attacking them) over and over? The Ninja talent is designed such that you use your skills rather than your auto attack.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165

@steelsugar

Rip Blissfulkill.
    SpaceCat
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Zephyrmaru wrote: »
    Im really not trying to be mean, but...

If this guy had a gold warrior talent and is still failing against a kobold, hes prolly not at all a gamer, and should just quit real MMOs if hes not just extremely young and can't grasp it yet. And it comes off as mean, but I honestly mean it from a caring place. It sounds like with his current mindset he will just fail over and over and never succeed.

1) He says he'd rather this game just have a more mindless and simple combat progression system instead of challenging himself a little. And I think we can all agree Mabinogi is complicated and not simple just on a nurturing your skillset basis. But Mabi combat is more muscle reflex and critical thinking as well, and someone who wants to just kinda click and win isnt going to win at mabi...unless they buy some pets. :^) You have to either spend on time practicing the combat and getting the rhythm down, or just play a hack and slash like dynasty warriors. A lot of other MMORPGs are the same as well, you have to master the flow/timing before you can make your combos shine.

2) I'll say that soloing a dungeon isnt a good idea for a new player, but this dude was a expert+ warrior already and ninja isnt super complicated either... I had two guildies last night for example, one ttlv 200 and the other ttlv 100 duo barri dungeon after 45 minutes. The ttlv 100 had no gear but was an alt of a lv5000(Warrior Talent), and the other was an elf archer who literally started Mabi last week. The 100 one spent the whole time saying how hard it was to fight things with only defense, smash, and no windmill and no pets like clouds to save them, and they died once. The other died twice in the first two rooms, then never died again till near the end because they began to get the hang of it. Now, I had to go and kill the boss for them, so that parts moot, but if two beginners with beginner weapons can (almost) clear barri, an expert+ can kill a kobold.

I don't think the problems the guy's ability to 'git gud'. I think he's prolly really clever. But you're better off not playing if you can't challenge yourself and improve as a gamer, and instead sink into negative thought about how the game must be broken, not my current skill level.

To be fair the new gremlins (assuming that's the boss you're talking about) are WAY to hard for most even middle tier players. They multi aggro like mad, hit like trucks and all have different damage immunities. I'm not trying to be mean either but, expert+ warrior shouldn't have much difficulty doing barri rooms, perhaps it's time to think more about strategy and less about mashing.
    Imaizumi
  • Ryuzaki/LRyuzaki/L
    Mabinogi Rep: 500
    Just get good.
  • Goldtiger01Goldtiger01
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,515
    edited July 7, 2018

People like this poison this community. You don't even know this guy's background! English could be their 2nd or hell, 50th language!!
    edited July 8, 2018

People like this poison this community. You don't even know this guy's background! English could be their 2nd or hell, 50th language!!

I always considered that in past cases; yet regardless of the reasoning, we need to be able to communicate efficiently. It isn't a matter of typing in proper grammar, but being able to be understood. I rather people post in the proper channels in their home languages then attempt communicating a message neither native speakers or people just becoming familiarized with the language will understand.

In any case, I assumed carelessness to be the dominant cause, because my problem was not merely the language, it was the content. It was not phrased well, it didn't clearly enunciate what the issue is upon a first reading. (It helps that I never experienced the issue, so hence my confusion.)

That, and vague details are something to be loathed; I have to make assumptions, or have to ferret out the certainty of the scenario, and I dislike both. If one wonders why I type quite a bit, it is to dismiss any uncertainty as to what I am trying to say.
  • spamellaspamella
    Mabinogi Rep: 810

I always considered that in past cases; yet regardless of the reasoning, we need to be able to communicate efficiently. It isn't a matter of typing in proper grammar, but being able to be understood. I rather people post in the proper channels in their home languages then attempt communicating a message neither native speakers or people just becoming familiarized with the language will understand.

In any case, I assumed carelessness to be the dominant cause, because my problem was not merely the language, it was the content. It was not phrased well, it didn't clearly enunciate what the issue is upon a first reading. (It helps that I never experienced the issue, so hence my confusion.)

That, and vague details are something to be loathed; I have to make assumptions, or have to ferret out the certainty of the scenario, and I dislike both. If one wonders why I type quite a bit, it is to dismiss any uncertainty as to what I am trying to say.

Iunno, 'Type proper English.' was pretty vague. You probably should've said you didn't understand the long way around like you just did instead of getting quippy.
    spamella wrote: »

Iunno, 'Type proper English.' was pretty vague. You probably should've said you didn't understand the long way around like you just did instead of getting quippy.

I did, and I apologized for that in a later post when confronted.

It was based on the assumption that the user did not care, as many do, and that I believe that it should have been apparent to everyone. However, it is irritating to see people forgo any semblance of legibility to type insensible drivel, and that has me more assumptive than I ought to be, I suppose.
    TheNyanCat