Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Great Era of Commerce Part 2 Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/75598/great-era-of-commerce-part-2-patch-notes-july-28th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

what would mabinogi look like in a new engine

Comments

• HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 13,135
    edited January 17, 2017
    @watercat0

I wasn't advocating for use of Unity 3D, CryEngine, or Unreal, just asserting what they are capable of and the licensing drawbacks of using them. As for Torque, you might be pretty amazed at what all it can handle when combined with MySQL and Python. There are exactly 0 people using Mac or Linux to play Mabinogi without a Virtual Machine (or similar software) running Windows. For the simple reason that neither of those two operating systems provide native support (or any support) for DirectX. My remark about Mac and Linux wasn't meant as an insult, I just don't think Mabinogi is as easily ready for OpenGL.☺
  • ShaeliShaeli
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,430
    With our diminshed player base, I seriously doubt the NA Mabi servers are doing much better than breaking even, let alone making Nexon millions. We have, what, maybe 2000-3000 active players left?
  • SplatulatedSplatulated
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
    Shaeli
    Shaeli said:

With our diminshed player base, I seriously doubt the NA Mabi servers are doing much better than breaking even, let alone making Nexon millions. We have, what, maybe 2000-3000 active players left?
    Still lots <3
    Hardmuscle
  • taninotanino
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,685
    edited January 16, 2017
    Splatulated

Shaeli
    Shaeli said:

Still lots <3 </p>
    Its hard to judge just how active the game are when there are multiple servers complaining about innactive / dead servers. You'd really want to see a merge at this point, to fully understand the scale of how much of a community is left. A sure fact thing is that a lot of people have quit because their servers were stagnant and it was increasingly difficult to find others to conduct their dailies with and such.

Without trying to derail the thread too much here, I highly doubt that Nexon Korea is willing to invest much into Mabinogi without some external source giving significant funding to an engine rebuild / swap.
    Hardmuscle
  • LetusLetus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,130
    Wasn't there that one guy that was making Erinn/Tir Na Nog in Skyrim?

That looked kinda cool given the fact that it was like...5 years ago
    HardmuscleCrimsọn
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    edited January 18, 2017
    You might remember this from the old forum. I made this in Minecraft a few years ago (2013)...

"Mabinogi World Map" 1 block = 1 pixel ~ http://imgur.com/a/Xud53
  • MhaolMhaol
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,215
    If DevCat decided to change the game engine for Mabinogi, they'll have their work cut out for them. Thousands of customization options, hundreds of Mobs, dozens of Locations, game mechanics, dungeons, animations and other assets. Especially if they go for a realistic look to the game.

Its not impossible for them to do it, just it will take a lot of time and man-power.
    +Plus the Transfer Process would be hell. Lol
    Hardmuscle
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,360
    I can only wish something like that would happen. Would be nice. Since we are dreaming the impossible, I'd also like the ability to switch between the different kinds of graphics. Although that would be more for the PCs on our end to handle.

@Gaea
    Yuppers, it still kind of surprises me that a 2002 game is still running TBH. A Mabinogi II would be kind of nice.. and speaking of MapleStory 2, I don't even know if there is any news yet of it being launched on global. Probably not until 2020 at this rate. -_-
    Hardmuscle
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    edited January 16, 2017
    --and, speaking of Minecraft.. anyone remember this? (and no, I didn't make this, lol). ☺

SherriCrimsọn
  • SplatulatedSplatulated
    Hardmuscle

--and, speaking of Minecraft.. anyone remember this? (and no, I didn't make this, lol). ☺

Hardmuscle

Are images finally enabled :3

Also this map downloadable looks sick
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    @Hardmuscle
    Bunch of lies, of course we have mac and linux playerbase. having 0 means nexon is better of killing the game because it only works for one system while all other games work for all 3. do you understand at the engine is so old that it can work even on a ipod tablet, the software for mac and linux are way younger compared to this game. so again we do have a mac and linux playerbase.

running on a custom controler (KR people are crazy for games)

mabinogi on a tablet:
  • MhaolMhaol
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,215
    Thanks to this Thread.... I'm now picturing Mabinogi in the Zelda-Breath of the Wild's art style.
    I really wish that was a thing now.
    HardmuscleCrimsọnWolfandWolf
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    edited January 17, 2017
    @watercat0 ~ It's more than readily apparent you're not aware of Mabinogi's dependence on Microsoft DirectX for rendering 3D Graphics. A Mac or Linux machine cannot run DirectX. "GPD WIN" as demoed in your first video is based on Windows 10, and Tablet can use a VM or Bootcamp or Wine to run Windows and in turn run Windows applications, but that doesn't make it any less a Windows application than it was to start with, nor does this make Mac or Linux compatible with Microsoft DirectX, at all. Like I said the first time, there are exactly 0 people running Mabinogi in Mac or Linux without using a Virtual Machine or similar software (to run Windows in). ~ Have a great day. ☺
  • SplatulatedSplatulated
    edited January 16, 2017
    videos seem to be back o.o

test image

no images :c

Hardmuscle
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Videos never left, as far as I know. o.o
    Greta
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    edited January 16, 2017
    @Hardmuscle

"wat.

I'm playing Mabi on my Macbook Air right now. Can you tell me why you're unable to run boot camp? It's necessary to play Mabi."

-Link removed-

and

"I have a Mac and am writing this on a Mac and I run Boot Camp and it is beautiful.

But seriously, while I love Macs, they’re terrible for gaming. Boot Camp = everything."

-Link removed-

get rekt
    imagehttps://ih0.redbubble.net/image.122478896.9981/flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    @Tanino Now that's a graphics I could actually spend money on gachapons for. Too bad data transfer is an issue if graphics are far too advanced. Although I do agree we can do better than 10 years ago when it comes to new engines.
    Hardmuscle
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 64,210
    edited January 16, 2017
    @Hardmuscle Dedication like that is why I believe this game will be around for at least another decade. TT^TT

@watercat0 I so wish I could run Mabinogi on my android. I could take Mabinogi with me to work! XD
    Hardmuscle
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    edited January 16, 2017
    @watercat0 ~ If you go back and read everything I have said in regards to this topic, you may notice I didn't deny Mabinogi possibly being rebuilt in a such a way it could handle OpenGL or cross-platform support (in an engine heavily drenched with licensing and royalties). You seem to be stuck on my saying, 'We need physics, not Mac and Linux', and that's not to say we (or Nexon) don't need Mac or Linux users as part of the playerbase. That's simply to say we don't need to cover Mac or Linux when considering a physics upgrade using a DirectX based engine for a game already using it. If you really believe 30% of Mabinogi's userbase is derived from people running Windows through a VM on Mac or Linux, I have a bridge to sell you on Krypton. Would you like some cheese with that? Hot or Mild Sauce? ☺

I also didn't say you're unable to run Bootcamp on Mac; in fact I said the exact opposite. It's clear you don't understand the scope of the topic, or how licensing between Mac, Linux, and Windows works. Just because you can load a Windows game into Mac using a workaround, doesn't mean Microsoft will grant you the license to do so, let alone use their proprietary software to do it and release a game. In your case scenario, you would need to legally own both a Mac and a Windows operating system to run games making use of Microsoft's product on a Mac. Which to me seems like a ridiculous argument, because you'd already have the Windows OS and wouldn't need the Mac you're defiantly defending.☺
    Crimsọn
  • lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    Hardmuscle

Videos never left, as far as I know. o.o
    Dunno about anyone else, but for me they are broken, and when I click play I get an error has occurred try watching on youtube.com

Also love how people are disagreeing with you on windows being currently needed while they unknowingly are agreeing by saying they run it in a VM, or boot windows :D
    People also should look at the rate of OS use in Asia Mac OS from what I last read is almost non existent so they would have to make a port of it almost purely for the western world.
    Hardmuscle
This discussion has been closed.