Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Does luck effect the animal taming skill?

Rewey_Ducky45Rewey_Ducky45
Mabinogi Rep: 620
in Help
I seem to have a pretty tough time taming animals.

I'm of course a low level though, just barely over 400. My animal taming skill level is rank C. My luck is 82, I was wondering if it would make it easier if my luck were lets say 120.

Comments

• IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    I don't think so.

Taming is just kinda lame.
    Of course, the weaker the enemy, the better the success rate.

Using a better Taming Cane or Bait can help.

There's also certain titles or 2nd titles that affect taming success rate.

But the best bait is crafted via Cooking, and the best Cane is the Tikka Wood Taming Cane.
    If you're already using that, then just keeping trying over and over is about all you can do.
  • Rewey_Ducky45Rewey_Ducky45
    Mabinogi Rep: 620

Thanks for the insight, I'm getting taming up for adventurer title, I'll look up how to obtain the bait, cane and titles. Much appreciated. :)
  • TwelieTwelie
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,840
    edited July 16, 2018
    The second titles that affect taming are
    Tupai (gives 10%)
    ALO Asuna (gives 20%)
    MMO Junkie: Pokotaro's Partner (gives 22%)

Honestly I wouldn't recommend looking into getting a title though, I ranked it without, especially cause the price tags aren't anything to scoff at. (Other than Tupai I didn't see it around lol)
    If you're high cp you'll probably want to get some cp gear, since the cp reqs are immensely helpful in ranking it.
    I would also suggest getting a Tikka wood taming cane. I found one for around 50k on Alexina and blessed it, it only lost like 3 dura throughout my entire training.
    You can make shrimp taming bait with cooking pretty easily, but if you kept those taitinn carps from fishing during the week of the event making those into bait helps a lot too. I mostly used those on golems or harder things (and the basic bait for the rest while still using the better taming cane), and at rank 7 ish I only ended up needing about 100 of each with level bonus, weekend bonuses, rebirth bonus, etc to get to r1 (other than the basic bait, stock up on that!).
    Rewey_Ducky45
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Thanks for the insight, I'm getting taming up for adventurer title, I'll look up how to obtain the bait, cane and titles. Much appreciated. :)

You don't need to rank up every skill, and the taming is dependent on Combat Power differences, as others have stated. Except, the previous dungeon revamp made many dungeon mobs essentially untameable, as there was a cap to how high a flat CP a monster you can tame (Around 5k), which increases the difficulty of taming by a bit.

Combined with the fact that taming doesn't directly give stats, the effort it takes to rank it, and the AP if you are going to bypass brute force measures, it essentially a huge waste at your level, compared to other Adventurer Skills like Fishing, Campfire, Exploration Mastery, or Artifact Recovery.

It doesn't depend on Luck either, to my knowledge. You're facing an uphill battle, though your low CP may actually be a blessing, as the amount of monsters who will fulfill boss and awful training requisites are many.
    Twelie
  • RaykaRayka
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    Dark Knight Control of Darkness can passively increase the succes rate even if you don't have DK on
    Twelie
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited July 17, 2018
    I just wish they'd fix taming to deal with the CP of the new revamped dungeons... it's almost impossible to catch certain creatures now. You have to run SIREN to catch a Gnoll for instance, because it's the only version on Rundal that wasn't revamped and CP on mob skyrocketed. I have 4k-ish CP and can't catch a Rabbie Normal Succubus :| ...and that's WITH master title, pokotaro title, taitinn bait and life exploration taming cane. I considered trying to put black scar on my taming cane but it's really hard if not impossible