Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Sooooo "Grave of the Butterflies" huh?

Sphyra21Sphyra21
Mabinogi Rep: 5,555
edited July 5, 2018 in General Chat
Is there anyone else besides me that keeps misreadin' that and wantin' to say "Grave of the Fireflies?"

And why grave? these butterflies are so pretty!
  1. Welp do ya?45 votes
    1. Yup totally
       53% (24 votes)
    2. uh no...?
       47% (21 votes)

Comments

• ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    Grave-of-the-Fireflies.jpg
    Sakura2503ForeRuniaKedaruiVimiSheenaKensamaofmari
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Nope I'm going with the "Nexon accidentally predicts the finale to RPDR" theory.

The butterflies from the title are on the floor too
    KedaruiSebastian
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    butterflies are so pretty though ... let's just sit back and appreciate them <3

article-0-13EB7C6E000005DC-988_1024x615_large.jpg
    FluoretteMizukiHayamaSphyra21ImaizumiMiDZRadiant DawnpawcalypsePolicromaYokkaichiLongSlyand 4 others.
  • EinwhegEinwheg
    Mabinogi Rep: 700
    if only they were blue it would be like those lifeblood butterflies from hollow knight
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Looks even more magical with the top altruist effect.

WolfandWolfSpaceCat
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    I'm a terrible person if i say that i never watched Grave of the Fireflies?
    Zarozian
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Greta wrote: »
    I'm a terrible person if i say that i never watched Grave of the Fireflies?

No. In any case, I have watched it, and I found the movie terrible as a tragedy, due to Seita's actions.

In any case, Isao Takahata's real life tragedy which forms the basis for Graveyard Of The Fireflies is far more uglier than what many consider to be his magnum opus.
    ImaizumiAquasol
  • EncrovianEncrovian
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,085
    Eralea wrote: »
    Nope I'm going with the "Nexon accidentally predicts the finale to RPDR" theory.

The butterflies from the title are on the floor too

LOL! Ur amazing~
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    Add it to my list of reasons I really wish titles had a "vanity slot" of sorts.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Policroma wrote: »
    Add it to my list of reasons I really wish titles had a "vanity slot" of sorts.

Along side this, can we have an option to disable/enable outfit idles? And can we also have blank app scrolls to put whatever weapon we want in? I feel like just those 2 things would add a TON of customizations (and a hefty sum of NX for nexon too). I know I'd pay $5 for a blank weapon scroll for sure.
  • LongSlyLongSly
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,210
    edited July 16, 2018
    Arjune wrote: »
    Saw this in one of my Japanese classes many years ago... it's dark and not something I want to see a second time. ._. Wasn't it about post-WWII, or more exactly, after the bombings on two Japanese cities?

Hellkaizer wrote: »
    Along side this, can we have an option to disable/enable outfit idles? And can we also have blank app scrolls to put whatever weapon we want in? I feel like just those 2 things would add a TON of customizations (and a hefty sum of NX for nexon too). I know I'd pay $5 for a blank weapon scroll for sure.

I second the idle pose toggle! I like some outfits that include an idle pose, but sometimes the idle pose ruins the look for me. I have to equip a non-shown item like potion kit or handicraft kit to "disable" the idle pose. x.x

Would be nice if the toggle was an option on the outfit instead of in settings somewhere.
    edited July 16, 2018
    LongSly wrote: »
    Arjune wrote: »
    Saw this in one of my Japanese classes many years ago... it's dark and not something I want to see a second time. ._. Wasn't it about post-WWII, or more exactly, after the bombings on two Japanese cities?

Hellkaizer wrote: »

I second the idle pose toggle! I like some outfits that include an idle pose, but sometimes the idle pose ruins the look for me. I have to equip a non-shown item like potion kit or handicraft kit to "disable" the idle pose. x.x

Would be nice if the toggle was an option on the outfit instead of in settings somewhere.
    The Firebombing of Kobe to be precise, to which they relocated to another part of the area. It was the latter area of the world, during which Seita learns of his fathers probably death alongside the surrender,

The film regards the war time condition the orphaned children face.

In regards to the actual story, there were a real brother and sister, but only the brother survived. He stole from his little sister, and she starved to death.

This led to the brother regretting his action, and eventually writing a short story based on his events which ends with both the brother and sister dying, which was his cathartic apology, and an expression of suicidal self loathing, so I have heard.
  • OrkaneOrkane
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,365
    I'll be honest, until I read this thread, I hadn't paid enough attention to realise it wasn't grave of the fireflies.
  • SheenaSheena
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,515
    Grave of the Fireflies is dark man :(
  • MrKaisirMrKaisir
    Mabinogi Rep: 975
    edited July 21, 2018
    Gaea wrote: »
    Looks even more magical with the top altruist effect.

where's the altruist effect in option o3o?
  • RiddleTricksterRiddleTrickster
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,585

Anyone into Hayao Miyazaki films most likely did think to grave of the fireflies lol. I had watched it in middle school and the fact the event stems from after the bombing of pearl harbor, I can't forget it.
    Sheena wrote: »

Time of war is dark, and it maybe worst in the Middle East. Also, I think at the end of g21 part 2, I swear they mentioned grave of the butterflies when you are in Tir, so they did try to incorporate it somewhat.
  • Sphyra21Sphyra21
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,555
    i have purposely refrained from watchin' that particualar Miyazki film bcuz i KNOW i'll end up bawlin' my eyes out (sheesh I still cry on some episodes of Cardcaptor Sakura. Also I doubt I'll ever watch/read Fruits Basket for a 3rd/2nd time, I cried so hard -.-')
    Anyone into Hayao Miyazaki films most likely did think to grave of the fireflies lol. I had watched it in middle school and the fact the event stems from after the bombing of pearl harbor, I can't forget it.

Time of war is dark, and it maybe worst in the Middle East. Also, I think at the end of g21 part 2, I swear they mentioned grave of the butterflies when you are in Tir, so they did try to incorporate it somewhat.

I dislike the film because it did not come off as something related solely to war, but a failed coming of age story where the protagonists simply did not rise up to the occasion. Given my background, I find nothing tragic that relates to times of war, except but how and what type punishments for ineptitude are meted out.

Seita seems like an outlier given his time, and the movies fails to capitalize on the contextual tragedy of Isao Takahata's real life trauma. The air of condemnation that was evident before wasn't communicated well here. The film ended the way it did because of Takahata's self loathing, but one wouldn't have known that unless they went outside the constructed narrative to the real world history behind it.

Barefoot Gen was a better communicator of the tragedies in war, because it was fair in analyzing the complicated matter in the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and how innocent civilians are caught between warring powers.
    Imaizumi
  • RiddleTricksterRiddleTrickster
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,585

I dislike the film because it did not come off as something related solely to war

Seita seems like an outlier given his time, and the movies fails to capitalize on the contextual tragedy of Isao Takahata's real life trauma. The air of condemnation that was evident before wasn't communicated well here. The film ended the way it did because of Takahata's self loathing, but one wouldn't have known that unless they went outside the constructed narrative to the real world history behind it.

Barefoot Gen was a better communicator of the tragedies in war, because it was fair in analyzing the complicated matter in the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and how innocent civilians are caught between warring powers.

I first took it as they made Grave of the Fireflies to simply portray a point of veiw and story of an innocent civilian that tried to survive in a terrifying world during that time.

And from what I remember, to me it did have a sense of impending doom from the beginning while I tried to hold some hope everything would be alright for them.

The first scene I recall happening are the blasts, house collapses, and then him needing to rescue/run if memory is correct. Then they dug up his tin rock candies (which can be quite addicting btw), later to be walking among starving people and dead corpses. I remember them at one point being isolated in a grassy area and everything looked okay as time passed but something seemed off and nothing got better... only to be given flashes of their ghostly images in the train throughout the movie, so I did feel it. I was a kid so I probably missed out on a few things, but it felt more frightening? Darker? I'm not sure.
    but a failed coming of age story where the protagonists simply did not rise up to the occasion.

What's special is that Miyazaki films speak through the art and expressed emotions more than dialogue and great endings so to speak. So there is no expectation of a great achievement, great feats, or grand ending like how western ones have.( Its about the journey, not the destination" sort of thing).

It's a tale of an experience(s). Plus, the story was written to be about a child and his baby sister, not having them survive would make it more heavy. This allowed them to add in their ghosts that further amplified the reality of death.
    Given my background, I find nothing tragic that relates to times of war, except but how and what type punishments for ineptitude are meted out.
    Being from Oahu, I suppose it makes sense that we may feel a bit differently.

Also I apologize if I misunderstood what you meant, and Perhaps I'll have to rewatch it, and I definitely want to check out Barefoot gen.

It was also directed by Takahata himself, he added in his experiences to the original story biography. There was alot put into to it. Im sure there was probably more that they wanted to.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Shouldn't be this at Town Square? We are not technically talking about Mabinogi now.