Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Revamp Transformation Mastery and Taming

NegumikoNegumiko
Mabinogi Rep: 9,765
edited June 27, 2018 in Feedback and Suggestions
while exploring Avalon I saw beautiful new monsters like the Wing-eared Rabbit and the Yggdrasil Sprite and thought it would be cool to transform into some of these. new monsters could be added randomly to the different ranks in the transformation journal depending on how strong the monster is.

Avalon monsters that could be added:
- Crystal Boar
- Crystal Wolf
- Crystal Bear
- Crystal Fish
- Crystal Crab
- Crystal Goat
- Peacock Spider
- Yggdrasil Sprite
- Wing-eared Rabbit
- Ghostly Alban Priest
- Reanimated Corpse

Other monsters from a few different areas that never got added:
- Cat Sith
- Giant Worm
- Ice Worm
- Mutant Rabbit

some of these monsters could also be added to the taming journal as well and it would be nice if taming was revamped so we can actually tame some monsters again. it has been near impossible since the dungeon update.

JohanaThiagoRiolu
  1. Revamp Transformation Mastery?23 votes
    1. Yes
       100% (23 votes)
    2. No
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• DingigraphiDingigraphi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,935
    Would be nice to see more Transformation's, as they are usually fun to mess with!
  • RaishiiRaishii
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,245
    I keep hoping that they'll add the new monsters to the transformation list, but it seems they've practically moved away from updating it completely. Like, even though Succubus Queen and fiends are monsters, they're NPC transformations. And the last time the trans list even got an update was when the White Dragon raid came out...and that was almost 5 years ago.
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    Yes please also add Bisque Doll to the list of trans that never got released! I've always wanted to trans into that. :(

And I think Nightmare Humanoid is another. Would be cool if different colors were available too if you trans and trans back.
  • SollSoll
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,330
    Transformation mastery has the potential to be the Life tab's ''fighting style'' but with its current limitations, it cannot. It'd be nice to have some actual function behind it aside from just transforming into monsters or NPCs with limited basic skills.
    THICCthighssavelivesKnightdog
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Soll wrote: »
    Transformation mastery has the potential to be the Life tab's ''fighting style'' but with its current limitations, it cannot. It'd be nice to have some actual function behind it aside from just transforming into monsters or NPCs with limited basic skills.

I have always thought of it more as a hunting system then a fighting style. finding rare monsters then collecting them to turn into the monster and degrading it by making it do funny things. one of the best features about transformation mastery is a lot of them can use gestures and play the rock, paper, scissors mini game which really adds a lot of fun to roleplaying in mabi.

as for combat using transformations it would be nice if they had a few more fighting options but only 2 to 4 fighting moves really keeps you thinking on what transformation to use next. some can use smash, counter, block, and windmill and some can't use windmill or smash. it is fun to keep the monsters speed, size, and skills in mind as you work through a dungeon or shadow mission. like the fox can run faster but something big like Dark Commander has larger windmill attack.
    Jazmynscienceguy2FluoretteTHICCthighssavelives
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    edited July 4, 2018
    Taming and transformation can be merged into the same system that uses some sort of 'monster familiarity' as it's backbone, where your success chance at both taming and transformation will depend on your familiarity with the monster. When you don't know anything about the monster you can only tame it (peaceful method) or capture it (combat method), which increases your knowledge of the monster. As you gain knowledge, you can possess it's body, gain small combat bonuses against that monster type, or even increase or decrease its spawn rate in its spawn area. Once you have expert knowledge of a monster you can attempt to transform into it.

The transformation window already has a big list of monsters. It can be repurposed for the more generalized monster familiarity system. What do you think?
  • FaybalFaybal
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,775
    Taming and transformation can be merged into the same system that uses some sort of 'monster familiarity' as it's backbone, where your success chance at both taming and transformation will depend on your familiarity with the monster. When you don't know anything about the monster you can only tame it (peaceful method) or capture it (combat method), which increases your knowledge of the monster. As you gain knowledge, you can possess it's body, gain small combat bonuses against that monster type, or even increase or decrease its spawn rate in its spawn area. Once you have expert knowledge of a monster you can attempt to transform into it.

The transformation window already has a big list of monsters. It can be repurposed for the more generalized monster familiarity system. What do you think?

That would be ridiculously broken. The mabi Monster spawn servers have crashed several times in the past, so incorporating this would probably bug or slow that down as well.
    Also what would happen if two or more players tried to influence the spawn of an area?
    Knightdog
  • JohanaJohana
    Mabinogi Rep: 765
    They could add monster skills to the transformation when you re transformed and the option to use transformation without the dream catcher when reaches the rank 1 of the skill like bard when uses buff singing
    KnightdogTHICCthighssavelives
  • KnightdogKnightdog
    Mabinogi Rep: 860
    edited July 19, 2018
    THIS is the post I have been waiting for. I told the GMs at AX that I wanted to see it be feasible in combat. Currently, it is a massive AP sink and sure, it is fun to be able to transform into everything, but I really want to be able to actually use it as a combat style. Adding monster skills would help, even if my transformed icebolt is the same rank as my ranked one. Maybe I can use archery transformed if I carry arrows, or alchemy if I have crystals. You could still make it so you have to have the skill, or make it so the skill can be obtained and used only while transformed if normally restricted by talking to Kousai or Shamala and doing quests. Pretty sure all of us die hard Shamala fans would love to be able to use skills like Roar and Smack again! Yes, that quest was hard as heck, but the Giant Lion was awesome! How about add a skill called Monster Mastery for leveling any skill that is monster exclusive? I would not even care if it was just as much of an AP sink as TM, and leveling it up should be REALLY hard. Maybe you need to have one specific transformation and use a specific skill? Make it necessary to go through half your transforms to rank it! The journey would be as fun as collecting all those transforms! You could need R3 Monster Mastery in order to use R3 monster exclusive skills for example, and the requirement could be "Use Smack XXX times to knock down 4 or more enemies" "Use Icebolt XXX times to defeat an enemy while transformed" "Use Stomp while transformed into a golem XXX times" and "defeat XXX enemies while transformed into the White Dragon"

You could also restrict skills based on the type of dreamcatcher equipped, similar to how staves work. The ones available now should enable the basic attacks, and you could add a magic one for any transform needing mage skills, one for enabling range (those monsters should become collectible with the rework too) and one that requires R1 Monster Mastery to enable all skills for example.

Pleeease make this rework! You could write a whole storyline around it! It would be amazing! It would fulfill all my dreams I've had since I first learned about the Transformation Mastery skill! Yes, I might be this skill's biggest fan! :D
  • KnightdogKnightdog
    Mabinogi Rep: 860
    Also, where's the "Hell yeah!!!!" option on the poll?
  • IAAWIAAW
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,285
    One idea I've had for Transformation Mastery was to maybe make the skill itself act as an activator for monster-specific skills while transformed, such as being able to use Transformation Mastery to spin cobwebs while as a spider, or being able to use a Golem's Stomp or a Master Lich's Flames of Hell. And perhaps you could be able to inflict Poison while transformed as any creature that has that ability. It would also help in general if the available skills while transformed was expanded.
    Johana wrote: »
    They could add monster skills to the transformation when you're transformed and the option to use transformation without the dream catcher when reaches the rank 1 of the skill like bard when uses buff singing

Both A++ ideas. I hate lugging around a dreamcatcher. I don't even get the logical connection between a dreamcatcher and transforming.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Johana wrote: »
    They could add monster skills to the transformation when you're transformed and the option to use transformation without the dream catcher when reaches the rank 1 of the skill like bard when uses buff singing

Both A++ ideas. I hate lugging around a dreamcatcher. I don't even get the logical connection between a dreamcatcher and transforming.

what about dream catcher earring trinkets? a 1x1 item that could offer 1 defense rate and 1 protection plus a 1% chance increase to catch monsters. it would also allow you to transform without a dream catcher weapon. equipping two of these dream catcher earrings would increase our chances at catching monsters by 2% total. also thinking a dream catcher totem would be cool and each random totem would give a 1% to 3% increase chance to catch a monster much like the goose feather boosts movement speed between 1% and 3% the reason for a totem would cause why not? we need different types of totems as I barely have my totem bag halfway full. all this could be done with a simple event in Cor Village to bring attention back to transformations. improving our collection chance would be nice cause even a rebirth into adventurer talent with a demonic dream catcher some of the chances for some monsters and super low.
    Faybal wrote: »

Also what would happen if two or more players tried to influence the spawn [rate] of an area?

I guess the same thing that happens when two players start killing the same monsters in the same area.
  • IAAWIAAW
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,285
    Maybe Dream Catcher damage could scale off of Transformation Mastery instead of Blunt Mastery; I'm thinking +1 to Minimum Damage and +2 to Maximum Damage for each rank of Transformation Mastery (up to +15 Minimum Damage and +30 Maximum Damage at Rank 1). Additional benefits to Dream Catchers could possibly be applied as well; some ideas I had are:

- Splash damage/splash radius increases at Ranks 9, 5, and 1.
    - Additional attack at Rank 9, similar to Lance Mastery.
    - Weapon speed increases at Rank 9, 5, and 1. (Very Slow at Rank F, Slow at Rank 9, Normal at Rank 5, and Fast at Rank 1.)
    - Maybe an increase in Injury Rate/Critical Chance at Rank 9, 5, and 1.

And maybe Dream Catchers could become available for Erg enhancement; bonuses could be towards weapon damage and an increase in the amount of stat bonuses you receive while transformed.
  • SollSoll
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,330
    edited July 23, 2018
    While we are at it: fix the scale of Macha's trans model and the dragons that are currently scaled down.

And enough with gacha-only "Monster" transes
  • GiegueGiegue
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,975
    I wouldnt call this a revamp, I'd call it an update.

But as the resident Transformation addict, yes. I'd like some of the new monsters added to the Journal.