Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

what would mabinogi look like in a new engine

Comments

• taninotanino
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,685
    edited January 16, 2017
    Splatulated

Shaeli
    Shaeli said:

With our diminshed player base, I seriously doubt the NA Mabi servers are doing much better than breaking even, let alone making Nexon millions. We have, what, maybe 2000-3000 active players left?
    Still lots <3 </p>
    Its hard to judge just how active the game are when there are multiple servers complaining about innactive / dead servers. You'd really want to see a merge at this point, to fully understand the scale of how much of a community is left. A sure fact thing is that a lot of people have quit because their servers were stagnant and it was increasingly difficult to find others to conduct their dailies with and such.

Without trying to derail the thread too much here, I highly doubt that Nexon Korea is willing to invest much into Mabinogi without some external source giving significant funding to an engine rebuild / swap.
    [Deleted User]
  • LetusLetus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,130
    Wasn't there that one guy that was making Erinn/Tir Na Nog in Skyrim?

That looked kinda cool given the fact that it was like...5 years ago
    [Deleted User]Crimsọn
  • MhaolMhaol
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,215
    If DevCat decided to change the game engine for Mabinogi, they'll have their work cut out for them. Thousands of customization options, hundreds of Mobs, dozens of Locations, game mechanics, dungeons, animations and other assets. Especially if they go for a realistic look to the game.

Its not impossible for them to do it, just it will take a lot of time and man-power.
    +Plus the Transfer Process would be hell. Lol
    [Deleted User]
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    I can only wish something like that would happen. Would be nice. Since we are dreaming the impossible, I'd also like the ability to switch between the different kinds of graphics. Although that would be more for the PCs on our end to handle.

@Gaea
    Yuppers, it still kind of surprises me that a 2002 game is still running TBH. A Mabinogi II would be kind of nice.. and speaking of MapleStory 2, I don't even know if there is any news yet of it being launched on global. Probably not until 2020 at this rate. -_-
    [Deleted User]
  • SplatulatedSplatulated
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
    Hardmuscle

--and, speaking of Minecraft.. anyone remember this? (and no, I didn't make this, lol). ☺

Hardmuscle

--and, speaking of Minecraft.. anyone remember this? (and no, I didn't make this, lol). ☺

Are images finally enabled :3

Also this map downloadable looks sick
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    @Hardmuscle
    Bunch of lies, of course we have mac and linux playerbase. having 0 means nexon is better of killing the game because it only works for one system while all other games work for all 3. do you understand at the engine is so old that it can work even on a ipod tablet, the software for mac and linux are way younger compared to this game. so again we do have a mac and linux playerbase.

running on a custom controler (KR people are crazy for games)

mabinogi on a tablet:
  • MhaolMhaol
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,215
    Thanks to this Thread.... I'm now picturing Mabinogi in the Zelda-Breath of the Wild's art style.
    I really wish that was a thing now.
    [Deleted User]CrimsọnWolfandWolf
  • SplatulatedSplatulated
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
    edited January 16, 2017
    videos seem to be back o.o

test image

no images :c

[Deleted User]
  • watercat0watercat0
    edited January 16, 2017
    @Hardmuscle

"wat.

I'm playing Mabi on my Macbook Air right now. Can you tell me why you're unable to run boot camp? It's necessary to play Mabi."

-Link removed-

and

"I have a Mac and am writing this on a Mac and I run Boot Camp and it is beautiful.

But seriously, while I love Macs, they’re terrible for gaming. Boot Camp = everything."

-Link removed-

get rekt
    imagehttps://ih0.redbubble.net/image.122478896.9981/flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    @Tanino Now that's a graphics I could actually spend money on gachapons for. Too bad data transfer is an issue if graphics are far too advanced. Although I do agree we can do better than 10 years ago when it comes to new engines.
    [Deleted User]
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited January 16, 2017
    @Hardmuscle Dedication like that is why I believe this game will be around for at least another decade. TT^TT

@watercat0 I so wish I could run Mabinogi on my android. I could take Mabinogi with me to work! XD
    [Deleted User]
  • lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    Hardmuscle

Videos never left, as far as I know. o.o
    Dunno about anyone else, but for me they are broken, and when I click play I get an error has occurred try watching on youtube.com

Also love how people are disagreeing with you on windows being currently needed while they unknowingly are agreeing by saying they run it in a VM, or boot windows :D
    People also should look at the rate of OS use in Asia Mac OS from what I last read is almost non existent so they would have to make a port of it almost purely for the western world.
    [Deleted User]
  • PorkeyPorkey
    Mabinogi Rep: 500
    edited January 17, 2017
    @Hardmuscle
    ''There are exactly 0 people using Mac or Linux to play Mabinogi without a Virtual Machine running Windows. For the simple reason that neither of those two operating systems provide native support (or any support) for DirectX."
    Actually, both of you might be wrong. I've dabbled in Linux so far, and it would be entirely wrong to say that Linux has zero support for DirectX. There is native Linux software such as Wine, which is is not a VM, and if my memory serves, Wine is more like directly running Windows applications on Linux, using native Linux code. I'm pretty sure Wine is the result of reverse-engineering bits of Windows and creating Linux software to run Windows programs. I know for a fact that Mabinogi used to have Linux players as far back as 2010, but I'm very doubtful of whether or not we still have that playerbase at all, as I spent a considerable amount of time last year trying to get Mabinogi to run on Linux, and I ended up running into an issue that had to do with BlackCipher.aes not being an .exe, and therefore Wine did not recognize it as a program, leading to the game not running...

@watercat0, if you would be so kind as to introduce me to our Linux playerbase and show me how to get Mabinogi working on such a proper operating system, I would appreciate it.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited January 17, 2017
    @Splatulated Wait they took them away yesterday?

...maybe they didn't like me using them as a replacement for images. >_>;;;
  • Crisis1Crisis1
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,765
    created a simple prop for you guys to look at c:
    http://i.imgur.com/yuOVJsG.jpg
    [Deleted User]
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Yeah because because botting right?
    [Deleted User]
  • PorkeyPorkey
    @Hardmuscle
    No, not really. Even after having grown up using Windows, and only having used Linux for a short time, I can definitely say that as of late, even as difficult as it is to learn, Linux seems to be a much less chaotic operating system. I can't think of many good examples off the top of my head, but I know Linux does a lot of things in different ways than Windows does that just make more sense. One thing I recently learned about was using UNIX-style system load averages to more understandably represent total CPU/system load.
    I guess I was implying something more along the lines of "they should have made this game for Linux in the first place because Windows is doing things wrong."
  • PorkeyPorkey
    Yeah, it's a pretty big problem that Nexon will actually ban you for just using the software of your choice, regardless of whether or not you're doing anything legitimately wrong.
    People could (and should) pull all kinds of cards on them to make them look bad.

Want to use free and open-source software? ONLY A CRIMINAL WOULD WANT TO DO THAT! You're obviously up to no no good! What good could possibly come from not using expensive, proprietary, suspicious software?

You're a kid playing video games and you're too poor to afford a new computer with a copy of Windows? Too bad, either pirate it and be a criminal or use another OS and still be a criminal. - What?

Down a different road thare's Blizzard and the whole Nostalrius thing; realizing they were doing it wrong and players wanted to have a choice on what they wanted to play. Jagex with OSRS. The list goes on, and on, and on, and on like an everlasting Energizer bunny.

Getting back onto the topic of the thread, Mabinogi could probably benefit from some sort of engine rewrite/replacement. They should just put together 3 teams of proper developers and write a new version of the client, debuting a multi-platform release. And for the naysayers who say that's too much work...
    Nexon earned the equivalent of something like $55 million US in profit for 2015 (Wikipedia is good for something). While redeveloping parts of a game engine can be expensive, I still think the greedy money-heads at Nexon could squeeze it in somewhere if they were forced to. With $55 million in profit, they can certainly afford to get something done.
    Even if they'd only be gaining a fraction of the customers that they currently have on locked-down WIndows, I have a feeling it would be worth it.
  • PorkeyPorkey
    Good point. But they don't have to make a Linux client open-source, or use any open-source software for it. They could just develop in-house. Even if a dedicated Linux client was that much of a problem, that still leaves the possibility of them loosening up to people running their Windows game client on Linux.
    Actually, why IS Linux such a big problem to Nexon, again? Of course it's not officially supported, but the way they will ban you for using Linux makes them look like they are trying to pin you as some sort of do-no-good-er that only means them harm. To not provide support for is one thing, but labeling you as a bad guy?
    VMs, on the other hand, can be used to do harm much more easily, so we can certainly see why they don't want people using VMs.
  • watercat0watercat0
    edited January 18, 2017
    ///
    Hardmuscle

@Porkey - I don't think the aim is directed at people using a Mac or a Linux specifically, regarding bans. It's more about the non-native methods being used than anything else. For example: If Nexon took no effort to block things like Wine or Bootcamp; Mac and Linux users would be able to run many copies of Mabinogi on a single machine, which is the same reason they block VMware on Windows. ☺
    ///

Dude we have bots running mabinogi, another new account won't kill nexon servers.
This discussion has been closed.