Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Did you made any mistakes when you were a newbie?

Comments

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    @Darkpixie99 -pat pat-
    Darkpixie99
  • Morbious17Morbious17
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,260
    edited January 16, 2017
    I'm seeing some comments about things like gunslinger skills and items that came waaaay later than when I started, and it makes me a little sad. When I started, Tir was the hub, there were no transformation skills yet, and the story was fascinating. When pets were first introduced, everyone who was online at the time bought their grey wolf or fox and everyone logged into them. Ciar lobby was full of animals forming parties to beat the golems with our new pets. When G2 came out one late night, all of us who were online rushed through to get our ego weapons and everyone was walking with a small white glowing weapon. When someone with a yellowish glow was found, everyone crowded around and we were all impressed.

Then the generations came and went. G4, when Nexon explicitly told everyone to go to sleep because the maintenance would take many hours longer than expected, G7 with Cor and rafting, G8, 9, 10 and shadow missions with demigod. I think that was the peak for me. I was still playing while looking back at all the good memories I made with my guildies. Back then, I was naive but optimistic. I was going to community college, staying on the dean's list, having fun in Mabi, and telling myself I would transfer to a 4-year college and get that dream job I always wanted. Most of my classes were on Monday, so I could get all my week's work done as early in the week as possible. I would often complain in guild chat about having so much homework and not being able to work on my blacksmithing, until one day, a guildy said to do my blacksmithing first then my homework on Tuesday. Epic face palms were had.

Time went on, and I gradually lost interest in Mabi. I finished my community college courses but put off my transfer, thinking everything would simply work itself out because I work hard and have ambitions I want to pursue.

I guess this is really just a long-winded way of saying the mistake I made was thinking those good times in Mabi would last forever. Whenever I think about logging in and hanging out with my guild, I become a little sad and think about how I'll never have as much fun in Mabi again as I once did because of the way my path through life has changed. But then I realize that all of the great times I look back on are things I never tried to do. I never went into Mabi wanting to create a memorable experience to look back on. I wanted to move forward and have fun while I worked towards having a better life.

Right now, it's really hard for me to start something new because I keep thinking about how I couldn't possibly have as much fun as I once did, but I keep telling myself that those great times happened because I tried something new and I won't have *any more* good experiences if I never take any more chances.

Have I told you guys that you're all great, even if some of you occasionally break the rules? You are.
    oneeyedprincess
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    What rules are we breaking? <3
  • SplatulatedSplatulated
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
    Got told to skip dialog when being helped with quest

Still do it to this day and have no clue what is going on

Want to start over but then would lose bag slots and skill levels
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    @Morbious17
    I think all of the better times were when the community and the GM's helped maintain the game. There has been less and less activity and maintenance. Mabi was fun until Housing was introduced...and then it dropped again around Irias release due to the huge amounts of harassment and none of the GM's or Nexon staff themselves would do anything about malicious players and so new and old alike moreso left the game leaving a vast majority of the bad eggs to proliferate. I have never seen such a population decrease since then. Mari for example was busy to full almost on every channel....and now only 1 channel stays busy due to people with another account for marketing while their mains can play. All it took for Nexon NA and their staff was to maintain the etiquette as they are responsible for providing a safe environment as people of various ages play this game and for a young teen to be exposed to so much within this game...it's pretty bad and no wonder why no one comes back even though they want to.

@Splatulated
    I'm not sure if this helps but there are video's in the Dunby library that allows you to re-view some of the story line. As to why they haven't allowed the full feature of revisiting the whole story is beyond me. There are also people who youtube video their Generation game-play and you can re-watch and read some of the dialog through there...but nothing will be the same as when you first went through it all.

Anyways....back on topic.
    I would say that my biggest mistake was letting steparu take the dunby to emain seal break instead of taking it myself when I was there first. He posted a video but it's been edited so you don't even see me there hitting the stone...just him.
  • SeimoreSeimore
    Mabinogi Rep: 410
    Way back when, I used the free weeks of each service to pretend I was a VIP

Completely ignoring that I wouldn't have been able to complete G1 and G2 in a week at the time, instead of drawing each one out to have 3 weeks.
  • FirelinksFirelinks
    Mabinogi Rep: 720
    I got rid of my 6k lvl Alexina character to start anew on another server.

I'm close to 10k with this one now.

At the same time though, I like it on Tarlach.
  • NekoLilyNekoLily
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,335
    Luckily for me I got a friend playing it that helped me with everything leaving me no possibilities to really do stupid things regarding Generations and skills, but that didn't help me with Bank!

Back then (2008) Bank was the only option to store dresses and I put a Selina Lady Dress in the bank, then I kept taking it in & out from different banks... and when I got the message I didn't have enough money, I couldn't understand. 21500 gold (if I remember right, but it was a price like that) everytime. Back when I would reach 800k by running Dungeons endlessly for at least a week, you could understand my frustration.

After a few months I found a full-healer, literally, and I was so impressed by her that I wanted to do the healer path and all. Well, you can understand how it ended. I'm still a stupid healer, stubborn in my decision, but at least I have almost completed all the Warrior Skills (Windmill r2 70% and 2-3 more - still a low CP so it isn't really hard).

The only "noob" thing that got stuck with me is not really ranking windmill but instead doing it when the Rank Up was available. My friend (mentor) was so mad with me that I was forced to get to at least r5 lol
    Well, he would be proud of me getting to r2 without pots :D
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    @NekoLily
    Wait.. is it bad to not have a good ranked Windmill? o.O
  • ImaizumiImaizumi
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,225
    Windmill is more difficult to rank at higher CPs, so the further back you go in time, the more of a nooby mistake it appears to be. These days there's seals, pots, and various -cp gear so it's not nearly as much of a mistake as it used to be to not rank it early.
  • Crazy_WhaleCrazy_Whale
    Mabinogi Rep: 500
    Tossing a Raccoon Cub outfit because I didn't know that value of it back when it was worth 5~10M(?) or so. A lot of stupid mistakes were mostly regarding marketplace (like trading a pair of white angel wings for a Nuadha robe). In terms of character skills, I was fortunate to have friends who played the game for a while to guide me through. I was not allowed to rank any skills until I got r1 WM first (way back before training pots even existed).
  • NekoLilyNekoLily
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,335
    "
    Sherri
    Sherri said:

Wait.. is it bad to not have a good ranked Windmill? o.O
    "

What? Never said that o_o my friend was mad because I was really a high total level (yes, high total low cp) and Windmill would be a real pain
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    At the end of the game you'll have rank 1 in all skills anyway, so why not rank CP-dependant skills while you can?

The alternative is being lv10k with 4000CP and forced to use training seals for ranking that one noobie skill you never finished.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Oh yeah...that was a mistake I ended up making too when I first started. I had to go to windmill zombies for days. :<
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    If you think selling my armor was bad, back as a newbie I skipped I think it was G1 and I never got a journal after that feature was added in because of it. Oh, and back in 2011 I thought that dyeing items made the item worth more by some magic reason. To this day, I just price based on stock and demand of the items I have. Oh, and I think I managed to get stuck in Tara once as a newbie. Could not find my way back and just ended up in circles. Today I'm kind of better navigating without the map, but I still autopath a bit. Oh, and I also rebirthed during the Miku hair bug, so I never got that back and I was too poor of a kid to be able to buy another character card to replace it. I may have undersold quite a bit of items in the past, which has rendered me poor and more likely to mark up prices as the housing board or in between.
  • Dai_Mata_ReiDai_Mata_Rei
    Mabinogi Rep: 900
    the biggest mistake i made when i started playing was picking an elf instead of a human. then there was also me thinking that high ranked smiths could repair things without having to go to an npc. was only after i learned of the remote repair things.
    SylviaWolfe
  • LynetteLynette
    Mabinogi Rep: 685
    i didnt know how ranking skills worked until someone told me all i had to do was hit monsters. so i did, but at some point the wolves stopped giving my training points. i didnt know why im to shy to ask strangers for help, so i just kept killing wolves and hoping itll give me something.

i dont know if they still do this, but when i joined they gave all new players 1 day training potions for all combat talents. i didnt know what they were used for and they took up alot of room so i threw them all on the ground, but the very next day i found out what they do. and i regretted throwing them away

it was my first day and i picked ninja as my talent. but i soon got bored cause i couldnt figure out how to get skills. i didnt know about rebirthing so i deleted that character, thinking i would get the card back.

i thought that if i let my hunger go all the way down i would immediately die. so i ate everything.

for the first month i avoided talking to anyone. because in the mmo i played before mabi. everyone hates noobies, there were some people who waited at the starting place just to pick on new players. and at the time that game was the only game ive ever actively played, so i thought mabi would be the same, which is why i avoided people until i became higher leveled. then i realized how nice most people are here. i dont know if this is considered a "mistake" but i probably could have learnt things faster if i didnt do that.

i knew about rebirth by the 2nd day of playing(because i stalked the wiki) but i didnt do it because i was level 20 and thought that was alot, so i didnt want to reset my level. i played for 2 weeks before rebirthing, and that was only because i was getting too tall and fat from eating all that food. i didnt know the point of rebirth until like 2 month

my first friend was a fashionogi. i love my friend, shes great buuut she gave me really bad advice. like one time, i was under 1k and she said to only rebirth once every 2 weeks so i could keep my teleporty book thingy longer. another time was i was saving gold for a weapon, but she talked me into spending it on clothes.
    SylviaWolfe
  • SugarAngelSugarAngel
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,220
    The mistake I did was neglect Archery until future levels - So I was stuck ranking Crash Shot at a ridiculous amount of CP.
  • LynetteLynette
    Mabinogi Rep: 685
    stormhammer

Also I discovered mabi before I discovered the rest of the internet, so when people were making memes and references on the forums, I thought they were specific to mabi. I had no idea what the TF2 engie nope gif was about, and i thought it was a mabi reference. I wasn't a smart kid.
    i did this too but with a different game. not just memes, everything about that game i thought it was only that games things. i even thought that was the only game that had guilds so when i found out almost every mmo ever has them i was so shocked.
  • ZephyrmaruZephyrmaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,430
    My biggest newbie mistake started with spending $10 on a gacha and getting the rare reward out of it. My friend Maya really wanted a Pierrot outfit, so I spent an hour trying to figure out merching in Dunby and selling the item to buy a Pierrot outfit for her. This really OP giant came up to me, asked if I was selling it, and told me how merching worked: "We trade and I give some of the payment to you in the trade, and you give me the item. I go to the bank a few times and trade again cause you can't carry much money at once, and give you the rest then in pure gold. Everyone does it like this, I'm leaving if you're so noob you don't do it like this too"

I give him the item, he gives me like 80k gold....and then goes into the bank and logs out. I realized I was an idiot and got scammed, and panicked running around asking if anyone could help me. Some nearby merchs saw it happen, had a good laugh, then taught me the right way to buy/sell in Dunby. Few days later I was walking around merching with holy water grinding and buying/selling HW in my shop, and saw a major merch on Alexina running around transforming into animals. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, met Shamala, and...here I am LOLOL.

note: Whoever put Ruwai as a Forum Avatar choice, I love you long time!