Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

A little too much ptw ?

Comments

• tetrarchtetrarch
    Mabinogi Rep: 340
    edited July 25, 2018
    You know, I was all hype for trying to get this armor bc of the set effect so I bought it with gold. Later found out that the set effect is only 1% movement speed increase. Meanwhile my colossus valiance--
    abyss drag v col valiance
    33 def v 29
    25 prot v 17
    9 m. def v 13
    7 m. prot v 13

imo 4 def, 8 prot and a decrease in magic defenses + 1% movement speed isn't worth it. I sold it right back.
    TheDumbOneAlexisEUSherri
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    ShouK wrote: »
    Everytime I try to catch up to end game gears, they release more p2w items....as someone who’s mostly f2p it’s pretty much impossible to get enough gold to buy all these items.

well, good news, this gear isn't end game at all!

Unless you count having prot as end game.
    fennixfox
  • BronzebreakBronzebreak
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,940
    edited July 26, 2018
    tetrarch wrote: »
    Later found out that the set effect is only 1% movement speed increase.

DW guys, it's balanced because its most useful aspect breaks all previous conventions and is only a 10% boost of what you'd normally get from other 'P2W' items.

BALANCED.

/s
    Can't say I don't like how they did this, then;
    it has a little bit of good all around, but isn't the most powerful thing that we've ever gotten, locked behind a gacha.

TBH, hearing that the AS/AD is trash actually DOES keep the set balanced. Having something ridiculously powerful behind a gacha in general is awful. I don't think having low rates has ever really balanced that.
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    Hellkaizer wrote: »

I'm mostly talking about the attack delay on the horn. I count end game as having the best gear for each slot. Pretty pissed the armor is basically an upgraded version of RKA. I worked so hard on my RKA too.. and they not just released a better version of it, but it came pre-r1 too. And it is not that much different from a max roll langu/bhafel.
    Sherrifennixfox
  • Donk3yDonk3y
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,050
    Mabi has been p2w for awhile not, this is just making it more obvious.
    fennixfoxSherri
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Sebastian wrote: »
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    You do have a way to get it. Save up money. It's not hard at all to make money in the game and the prices of the armours arn't even that expensive. It's first 12 hours of the gacha.

You can't expect nexon to always release shopping bags, that's not have any gaming company works.

Also you are not being taken advantage off or ignored at all, and the game isn't going down the hill at all over an armour being put in the gacha.

1. That actually depends on drop rates, not how long the gacha is out. It could get either worse or better from here. Some people just can't make that much money before the end of the sale, and even well after it.
    2. That one's a fair point.
    3. I agree it's not going downhill, but it is a bit scummy to add armor that's better than most of what we have. Someone in here brought up engineering rolls, and it's ridiculous that you can negate that by spending cash monies. Rip actual effort.

Tldr gacha armor is good and I'm just jealous because I want it but have no money ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just to add my 2 cents on this:

1. Its pretty much one of the strongest stat wise armors with a status effect coming exclusively from a gacha. This is the very definition of P2W.

2. Shopping bags isn't a problem, they should've just released this armor at best with stats similar to that of the dark knight armor or the colossus armor. That would mean that besides the look of this, it is not inherently better than any obtainable armor in the game. Which means that someone is not paying for actual power and instead just paying to look fancy and pretty. They released this with the expectation that people will aim for this rather than any available in-game items.

3. In all honestly would you invest time and effort in obtaining a suit of armor that unless you get the highest possible quality will be inferior to a gacha item that will possibly be cheaper. It's a scummy practice, they're bashing the players over the head with "Oh you could spend months gathering the materials for a suit of armor that maaaaaaybe better, or you can hand you a couple hundred $$$ for this". It's a scummy practice, plain and simple.
    SherriSebastianShouKfennixfoxCallantheTheNyanCatLialin
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer

I'm mostly talking about the attack delay on the horn. I count end game as having the best gear for each slot. Pretty pissed the armor is basically an upgraded version of RKA. I worked so hard on my RKA too.. and they not just released a better version of it, but it came pre-r1 too. And it is not that much different from a max roll langu/bhafel.

Bhafel slayer is a better RKA by a pretty massive amount, but the set effect on bhafel sticks it ahead of the abyss stuff by a bit as well. Same goes for langu, max roll it's better, plus the set effect does something. I'm mostly a free player as well (I spend around $30CAD a month on mabi, mostly going to service, and equip slot) and I'd say I outgear a fairly decent amount of people. It's frustrating that the attack delay is on a gacha item, but I also think of it as more a fashion thing (or something to help people catch up and get gear) Don't get me wrong, not trying to defend gacha but people are blowing this out of proportion pretty massively.
    Donk3y wrote: »

This is a matter of perspective, out of all the games I've played mabi is one of the most generous freemium games out there. Runescape is broken amounts of pay to win, TERA has rates so low for enchanting you're probably never going to get it without cash shop protections, they're also stingy with pets/mounts as well. That's just a few examples as well, even vindictus is significantly worse than mabi in terms of pay to win. The other thing is someone with max stats average gear, and echostones will out perform someone in "max" gear with reforges and gacha stuff.
    fennixfox
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium

Bhafel slayer is a better RKA by a pretty massive amount, but the set effect on bhafel sticks it ahead of the abyss stuff by a bit as well. Same goes for langu, max roll it's better, plus the set effect does something. I'm mostly a free player as well (I spend around $30CAD a month on mabi, mostly going to service, and equip slot) and I'd say I outgear a fairly decent amount of people. It's frustrating that the attack delay is on a gacha item, but I also think of it as more a fashion thing (or something to help people catch up and get gear) Don't get me wrong, not trying to defend gacha but people are blowing this out of proportion pretty massively.

This is a matter of perspective, out of all the games I've played mabi is one of the most generous freemium games out there. Runescape is broken amounts of pay to win, TERA has rates so low for enchanting you're probably never going to get it without cash shop protections, they're also stingy with pets/mounts as well. That's just a few examples as well, even vindictus is significantly worse than mabi in terms of pay to win. The other thing is someone with max stats average gear, and echostones will out perform someone in "max" gear with reforges and gacha stuff.

I'm generally okay with armors being in gacha, even R1 reforges sometimes, but before they were rarely inherently better than armors in-game. I would prefer it when cash items are regulated to just being a style choice rather than offering anything substantially powerful. (This this is substantially powerful because of its stats comparable to the strongest armor in game while offering a unique status effect).
    SherriShouKfennixfoxTheNyanCat
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    edited July 26, 2018
    Just buy a RKA for like 4mil and upgrade it the stats are basically the same.
    Minus like 2 def and 1 prot.
    And all the magic def and prot
    fennixfox
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    Bhafel slayer is a better RKA by a pretty massive amount, but the set effect on bhafel sticks it ahead of the abyss stuff by a bit as well. Same goes for langu, max roll it's better, plus the set effect does something. I'm mostly a free player as well (I spend around $30CAD a month on mabi, mostly going to service, and equip slot) and I'd say I outgear a fairly decent amount of people. It's frustrating that the attack delay is on a gacha item, but I also think of it as more a fashion thing (or something to help people catch up and get gear) Don't get me wrong, not trying to defend gacha but people are blowing this out of proportion pretty massively
    Max roll. The reason why I bolded it in the first place is it's nearly impossible to craft a max roll, given by how terrible rng rolls for magic crafts and engineering are. Didn't you sold the new abyss armor just yesterday though? I guess we have a different definition by "free player". In 2018 I only spent $10 on mabi and that's only because I bought a pet, and adoption aren't being sold during that pet sale so I can't buy it off player for a reasonable price.

I'm pretty much done after the previous enchantable wings gacha. This newest gacha just solidifies that. I used to defend that Mabi isn't that p2w, but I change my mind. They keep releasing more power creep in gacha.

SherrifennixfoxTheNyanCat
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Bhafel slayer is a better RKA by a pretty massive amount, but the set effect on bhafel sticks it ahead of the abyss stuff by a bit as well. Same goes for langu, max roll it's better, plus the set effect does something. I'm mostly a free player as well (I spend around $30CAD a month on mabi, mostly going to service, and equip slot) and I'd say I outgear a fairly decent amount of people. It's frustrating that the attack delay is on a gacha item, but I also think of it as more a fashion thing (or something to help people catch up and get gear) Don't get me wrong, not trying to defend gacha but people are blowing this out of proportion pretty massively
    Max roll. The reason why I bolded it in the first place is it's nearly impossible to craft a max roll, given by how terrible rng rolls for magic crafts and engineering are. Didn't you sold the new abyss armor just yesterday though? I guess we have a different definition by "free player". In 2018 I only spent $10 on mabi and that's only because I bought a pet, and adoption aren't being sold during that pet sale so I can't buy it off player for a reasonable price.

I'm pretty much done after the previous enchantable wings gacha. This newest gacha just solidifies that. I used to defend that Mabi isn't that p2w, but I change my mind. They keep releasing more power creep in gacha.

You have my admiration for lasting this long. I gave up quite some time ago lol.
    Sherri
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    The irony of people complaining about armour that gives defence in a game that basically kills you in one hit regardless.
    :^)
    MizukiHayamaVeylaineSherriRadiant DawnfennixfoxZephyrmaruLialin
  • Donk3yDonk3y
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,050
    Opalthira wrote: »
    The irony of people complaining about armour that gives defence in a game that basically kills you in one hit regardless.

What game are you playing? With good armor, you can basically tank 95% of the hard hits in the game.
    Zairak
  • AstoramAstoram
    Mabinogi Rep: 545
    It's not only the fact that it is pay to win, but you also have to gamble your way to get your hands on these items.
    The worst kind of P2W.
    SherriLialin
  • HarukariHarukari
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,470
    edited July 26, 2018
    I'm so glad my interest in this game is below sea-level.
    Getting salty over something like this is just not worth it at this point, since it's just gonna keep happening all the time til the game finally dies. imo.

The typical "Oh they surprise us with a shopping bag. How lovely!!"
    Then a "I am livid!! they brought a p2w gacha out! Not fair!"
  • CoolAidCoolAid
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,160
    edited July 26, 2018
    Opalthira wrote: »

What game are you playing? With good armor, you can basically tank 95% of the hard hits in the game.

You can do the same with mana shield, won't even take injury damage. Plus with high enough MA you lose less mana than hp vs 200+ def 50+ prot. Like against tagar I took 200s with ms but 900-1200 with rk and demon shield.

Also I think they're refering to end game like succubus queen and alban golem , because jolly ole biscuits those mobs hit hard.
    Sherri
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    The thing about P2W is that some players pay way too much attention to players who prefer to P2W, Just because certain players P2W doesn't mean you have to P2W. This is the flaw of human flock mentality, to follow what others do. But this is just a broad look at the overall problem.

However, there is an additional problem is P2W items being distributed in the player market, and this is the biggest problem for P2W. Once it's available in a more easily accessible market, others have a better chance at obtaining it, unless it is locked per character and cannot be unlocked.

I just think for those complaining about P2W, if you're willing to buy gachas for P2W items, don't complain because you're willing to buy the product to win. For those who don't but P2W items, there is also no need to complain because it won't concern you. The only real concern is the potential impact of the player society due to these items.
    fennixfox
  • SyaohartSyaohart
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,660
    edited July 26, 2018
    Everyone complaining about "P2W this, P2W that" just answer me this, WHO are you winning against?
    I certainly can't think of any PVE content in the game that someone has not done with a naked character. PVP? Well that one is only done by a handful of the population who are bored or want to test combos, I can't remember the last PVP event we've had.

I'm from Mabi EU and by the time our server ended, most players didn't even have armor or just got used to doing things naked cos repair became impossible for a while if memory serves proper. For people who can't throw money to try your hands at the gachas, just think of those who try and get hit by the greed sensor and only get junk. That said at least the game gets supported when we do fork over money for gachas.
    fennixfoxZephyrmaru
  • AstoramAstoram
    Mabinogi Rep: 545
    Syaohart wrote: »
    Everyone complaining about "P2W this, P2W that" just answer me this, WHO are you winning against?
    I certainly can't think of any PVE content in the game that someone has not done with a naked character. PVP? Well that one is only done by a handful of the population who are bored or want to test combos, I can't remember the last PVP event we've had.

I'm from Mabi EU and by the time our server ended, most players didn't even have armor or just got used to doing things naked cos repair became impossible for a while if memory servers proper. For people who can't throw money to try your hands at the gachas, just think of those who try and get hit by the greed sensor and only get junk. That said at least the game gets supported when we do fork over money for gachas.

I'm also from Mabi EU, everyone from my server were always aiming to get the "best" gear, the "best" enchants, the "best" stats. It's a game, and we're always trying to improve our characters.
    That said, if we keep getting everything shoved in gachapons, it just becomes pointless to do any content in-game, cause you can simply buy it.

Also, highly doubt anyone had been able to do Rabbie Phantasm naked.
    BronzebreakdeepdrakeTheNyanCatSherriLialin
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    edited July 26, 2018

Yeah, I sold it for 30m and it's like 20m today.
    Astoram wrote: »
    Syaohart wrote: »

I'm from Mabi EU and by the time our server ended, most players didn't even have armor or just got used to doing things naked cos repair became impossible for a while if memory servers proper. For people who can't throw money to try your hands at the gachas, just think of those who try and get hit by the greed sensor and only get junk. That said at least the game gets supported when we do fork over money for gachas.

I'm also from Mabi EU, everyone from my server were always aiming to get the "best" gear, the "best" enchants, the "best" stats. It's a game, and we're always trying to improve our characters.
    That said, if we keep getting everything shoved in gachapons, it just becomes pointless to do any content in-game, cause you can simply buy it.

Also, highly doubt anyone had been able to do Rabbie Phantasm naked.

Factually that's just wrong, a streamer on Alexina did just that.