Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

i still dont get this game.

ChawmiMcbiteyChawmiMcbitey
Mabinogi Rep: 500
in Help
so ive been playing on and off for 8.5 years. i love the game but i feel like im bad at it... i restarted with a new account to try to relearn the game and am in the 500+ range... i think ive gotten things figured out, but im curious if i should go back to my old account after im done, i do want to start a new character on there if i do, and im curious which ace would be the easiest to work with between vates and druid?

Comments

• GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    so ive been playing on and off for 8.5 years. i love the game but i feel like im bad at it... i restarted with a new account to try to relearn the game and am in the 500+ range... i think ive gotten things figured out, but im curious if i should go back to my old account after im done, i do want to start a new character on there if i do, and im curious which ace would be the easiest to work with between vates and druid?

Found the problem.
  • ChawmiMcbiteyChawmiMcbitey
    Mabinogi Rep: 500
    i dont see how this is a problem when its a new account which ive been using for about a week
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    What do you mean by saying that you are at 500 range? I'm confused. Are you from Runescape or what?
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    I think they are referring to cumulative levels @Greta .
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    I'm 960 and play like a 7k lol.
    This game is all about stat building based on what stats your talent uses.
    And those stats come from ranking up skills.
    ImaizumiAeolys
  • AeolysAeolys
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,115
    edited July 8, 2018
    To add to Opalthira's comment, getting a few skills to rank 1 is better than spreading your ap among many skills to rank A or so. There is some min-maxing involved in Mabi, prioritizing on specific skills (it usually is a hard hitting skill like Smash, Firebolt+Magic Weapon Mastery, Water Cannon+Chain Cylinder, etc.) to be really good at that could carry you through most content.

On top of that, equipping smartly helps too. The cheap round shield is rubbish compared to a kite shield. Dirt-cheap armor is just as good as expensive fancy-pants armor. Take advantage of dual wielding. Use a Guard Cylinder while using another cylinder. Don't use a bow if you live outside of California. Make a +4 Chain Casting Fire Wand. The list goes on. A little investment goes a long way. Look at my old firewand: 3 max durability; I've been using it for a long time before replacing it because it was that useful (and yes, I still kept it).
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Aeolys wrote: »
    To add to Opalthira's comment, getting a few skills to rank 1 is better than spreading your ap among many skills to rank A or so. There is some min-maxing involved in Mabi, prioritizing on specific skills (it usually is a hard hitting skill like Smash, Firebolt+Magic Weapon Mastery, Water Cannon+Chain Cylinder, etc.) to be really good at that could carry you through most content.

On top of that, equipping smartly helps too. The cheap round shield is rubbish compared to a kite shield. Dirt-cheap armor is just as good as expensive fancy-pants armor. Take advantage of dual wielding. Use a Guard Cylinder while using another cylinder. Don't use a bow if you live outside of California. Make a +4 Chain Casting Fire Wand. The list goes on. A little investment goes a long way. Look at my old firewand: 3 max durability; I've been using it for a long time before replacing it because it was that useful (and yes, I still kept it).

I LOLed at this. xD Maybe it should be: "don't depend on a bow as your only combat skill set if you live outside of California." I love being an archer and I live in Wisconsin. [Disclaimer: I am no where NEAR an end-game player; and chain skills have greatly helped my bows become more effective, and not just fun. Magnum Shot on the other hand, is a skill I avoid in most instances, and is only mastered at Rank 1. -rofl-]

But all in all, to keep on topic, these suggestions are good.
    Aeolys
  • MegasoulMegasoul
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,735
    Most of the early combat is Mabi's signature rock-paper-scissors combat, where one skill is better than the other and so on. There are a few skills that can really help out with this if early dungeons are providing too much challenge, my recommendation is lullaby since at max rank it will give 300 additional damage for sleeping targets that are prime for using smash on. Some talents are clearly easier than others, my recommendation is that magic shouldn't be your first skill set since a lot of enemies resist it and it takes a while to get enough AP to rank some of the skills.

Later you're supposed to stick to strong skills like Final Hit, Giant Full Swing, Defense with Large Shield, Way of the Gun, Chain-casted Magic, Transform Skills, etc. to take on monsters. The wiki has a number of suggestions for enemies, if any one in particular is giving you a rough time.

A pre-1000 character that isn't built just right is by design now supposed to be a "Beginner." Picking a Vates talent this early will probably distract you from picking one thing and going with it.
  • ookieookie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,925
    edited July 29, 2018
    i just learn all i can that helps me in different ways in battle.....no matter what the skill is......point being, Mabi doesn't have a class system so it's time to shed all the class system hooha that other games have ingrained in ya....no reason to choose at all when you can DO IT ALL....personally, i just get my base combat skills up to R1 then focus on magic bolts to R1 with a backup of mana shield to compliment the hand to hand combat....don't forget range also....if you can kill from a distance then do it.....from there i branch out into other skills to zero in on targeted attacks for specific mobs....all on the SAME character....this game is all about cross training so take advantage of it...that's why we can rebirth every week with the option to repeatedly swap out skills for training.....do it all so you can handle it all
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    There are some skills that are great for starting off as they are not stat based so much as others. An example would be alchemy since it started out not being heavily dependent on any stats before the revamp...which added a bit more weight should you use it mid tier now and becomes situational at higher tiers.

Mabinogi has always been pretty strong via melee. I would suggest starting with the beginner board as they have players start out that way and heavily invest in such. The rest of the skills become secondary until you build up your character. For starters it's mostly about battle flow where you use X skill against Y skill. Once you got most of the formor patterns you become more attuned to combat styles. Everyone has different ways.

Some people invest heavily in certain talent tree's and others spread themselves so they are hybrid and scattered all over. Some become strong and overpowering and others feel obsolete in their combat. I, myself, don't do much damage as a higher tiered total level player, but due to my battle flow....I match on par with those who are higher level that don't have such. It's dependent on how you play the game.

Like people mentioned before, G21 Finale part 2 has been done easily with high tiered characters or low tiered. It really depends on how you play the game. I finished part 2 boss only doing 200 dmg to it each hit. Sure it took a while, but I got it done.

The reason this game becomes so difficult is because even if the character builds are the same....gameplay and feel is different due to hidden mechanics. So not all characters are going to be exact. If you like the feel of your older character then I suggest you go back to it. Making a new character isn't goin to change much since you still have to heavily invest your time into it. There is no messing up when you invest your skills, you just rebirth and grain more AP and invest where you want.

Nowadays with Duncan's pay to reset, just save up gold and reset your skills whenever you want. I don't really see a reason to do such since more and more content keeps coming out that makes any training reasonable as they are all pretty much tedious.

Hope this helps.
    Jazmyn