Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

A little too much ptw ?

Comments

• HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Zephyrmaru wrote: »
    Too many kids screaming pay2win when they don't get what they want out of a gacha...

Here's something that's gonna blow your minds...gacha is normal and healthy for a free to play MMO. Remove the stigma that selfish and/or stupid ppl give it, and what you have is a means for anyone new or veteran to have an equal chance at something rare. A "good" MMO gives the veterans and the diligent the ability to grind gold out to trade for said items, creating commerce(no not that kind) between players and forming a steady market based loosely on supply and demand. Gacha is the tried and true method of achieving this while at the same time funding the Free to Play model that so many MMOs operate on.

Now there are exceptions...when something for example is so obscenely OP or trade locked that it just power creeps the meta, thats an issue. Now this armor set looks power creep, but honestly you'd be better suited(get it) investing in a Langu or Bhafel than going for this set for what...3 defense? That's where gacha gets battlenogis, the thirst to have the maximum possible stats is what drives ppl to spend $400 on this gacha, or pay 60-80million for Altam title when the other knights are 3-8mil with only 8 less max attack. And that's okay! Being the best is a good goal, and Mabinogi doesn't trade lock the armor sets so you "can" get it with in game gold. It's less than 20mil on Alexina right now.

What a lot of people are asking for is no gacha not because gacha rewards the rich, but because gacha rewards the hard working. Most people here complaining could've gotten the 20mil in less than a week if they played the game and invested the time and effort into grinding, which is a much better timeframe than some Korean MMOs give. Instead they've been playing a different game and now come back to a shiny new thing while they have no gold, no items to sell, and no motivation to work. Which means...hope you got some cash : )

20 Million Armor for something who ingame craftable counterparts run easily in 80+ million gold? Maybe GTCvActium has a point, actually. I don't think we should be making content so outclassed in this manner. The Armour itself has a 1% movement speed, but the horns possess an attack delay decrease effect.

Though my main issue regarding your post is that your characterization of your opposition is incorrect and lazy; it would be best to avoid painting everyone concerned with the same brush of "People who did not draw what they wanted out of the gachapon". It isn't fair to dismiss everyone, because some people have differing rationales for the same conclusion, be it driven by selfishness or genuine concern.

Langhurises aren't that cheap, yet are subjected to even higher rates of RNG.

Not nitpicking the p2w or w/e just replying on prices

This price guide is false, on alexina (which zephy and bliss are both a part of as well)

the heavy abyss armor is going for 35-40m while the light is going for 25-30m

takes 15 dragon scale frags (and like 1.5m in other mats) to make either dragon armor with the average price of scales being 2m right now that's 31.5m to make the armor, not counting saved scales from GM tailoring it costs the same, or less for armor that's better on chest slot.

The benefit of the horns is pretty small as well, while good it's still small. Unless you're using a very slow/slow weapon the horns pretty much don't do anything.
  • ZephyrmaruZephyrmaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,430
    edited July 30, 2018
    Woops, havent checked prices lately, muh bad.

And on the subject of "Shouldn't be so close to Langu/Bhafel", how long has L&B been in the game for? Other armors are going to reach their tier sooner or later, pretending that its unfair that a gacha item catches up to it years after its been out is being silly. This not only lets newer players obtain the armor, it paves the way for better armor sets and equips to be craftable later on. No one ever crafted a celtic crossbow only to go "I'm glad this will never be gacha'd or a better bow come out", because it's silly to think that they won't appear after awile. No one stays at the very best gear score forever, unless they're...actively playing and earning gold to buy the better stuff.

You also can't say the broad brush thing without at least offering a counterpoint. If the broad brush is true, then there's nothing wrong with painting with it. You can be wary of the precedent, but it's downright being foolish if you're gonna call this encroachment when the armor isn't even that amazing and L&B have been out for literal years. Unless you legitimately thought celtic royal was as good as we're ever getting in terms of gear, in which I got bad news for you...sooner or later we're gonna have to erg up a new, better set of gear. Just like how we switched from demonic to celtic in the first place, it's not encroachment if years later the bar's raised on gear score.

tldr; I feel bad for people with spirit weapons.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer

And on the subject of "Shouldn't be so close to Langu/Bhafel", how long has L&B been in the game for? Other armors are going to reach their tier sooner or later, pretending that its unfair that a gacha item catches up to it years after its been out is being silly. This not only lets newer players obtain the armor, it paves the way for better armor sets and equips to be craftable later on. No one ever crafted a celtic crossbow only to go "I'm glad this will never be gacha'd or a better bow come out", because it's silly to think that they won't appear after awile. No one stays at the very best gear score forever, unless they're...actively playing and earning gold to buy the better stuff.

You also can't say the broad brush thing without at least offering a counterpoint. If the broad brush is true, then there's nothing wrong with painting with it. You can be wary of the precedent, but it's downright being foolish if you're gonna call this encroachment when the armor isn't even that amazing and L&B have been out for literal years. Unless you legitimately thought celtic royal was as good as we're ever getting in terms of gear, in which I got bad news for you...sooner or later we're gonna have to erg up a new, better set of gear. Just like how we switched from demonic to celtic in the first place, it's not encroachment if years later the bar's raised on gear score.

A pretty darn good example of this is the armor coming with g22, it enhances the new "traits" we're getting and I'm pretty sure it'll make anything in game currently obsolete (Minus things like bohemian set most likely)

Would I rather have had the abyss dragon stuff be crafted? AbsoFreakingLutely, is it the end of the world? Not really. It would've been worse if we just straight up got langu/bhafel in a gacha imo.
  • deepdrakedeepdrake
    Mabinogi Rep: 330
    edited July 31, 2018

Yeah the traits that gives tons of defense and another that gives protection is nice it's going to be something that players will have to work for the rank as it require stuff other than ap to rank. Anything that adds content to the game that is not limited and locked behind a paywall is good.

Also speaking of gear treadmills people grind gear so they can do harder content(you know see and do more in the game) which is very simple game progression it also helps teach mechanics lets player feel out what they want to do/how they want build their character . I think one of the many things that upset people was not just the stats of the gear but the its "method of obtaining". Cash shop power creep can make a lot of content obsolete which makes less things worth doing. Their are people who would rather work for their gear and people would rather pay gold or cash for it.

Why spend time running for gear enchants and materials to make gear when gach will hand out equivalent gear. There is just is little motivation for players do nothing but a select few bits content and just wait till gach releases better and better gear. The big issue is not that gear is top tier but good enough so that most people would rather get gear that comes from the cash shop then farm or grind in-game.

"tldr; I feel bad for people with spirit weapons."
    1000% AGREE! I would also love more spirit weapon types like staffs and chain heck maybe even instrument egos!
    Sherri
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    deepdrake wrote: »

Yeah the traits that gives tons of defense and another that gives protection is nice it's going to be something that players will have to work for the rank as it require stuff other than ap to rank. Anything that adds content to the game that is not limited and locked behind a paywall is good.

Also speaking of gear treadmills people grind gear so they can do harder content(you know see and do more in the game) which is very simple game progression it also helps teach mechanics lets player feel out what they want to do/how they want build their character . I think one of the many things that upset people was not just the stats of the gear but the its "method of obtaining". Cash shop power creep can make a lot of content obsolete which makes less things worth doing. Their are people who would rather work for their gear and people would rather pay gold or cash for it.

Why spend time running for gear enchants and materials to make gear when gach will hand out equivalent gear. There is just is little motivation for players do nothing but a select few bits content and just wait till gach releases better and better gear. The big issue is not that gear is top tier but good enough so that most people would rather get gear that comes from the cash shop then farm or grind in-game.

1000% AGREE! I would also love more spirit weapon types like staffs and chain heck maybe even instrument egos!

Not only that a lot of the traits aren't easy to unlock (oh good I can make another "can we not ask for nerfs" thread) I think one of the reqs is the title you get for soloing alban advanced.

I like content that's hard to get, and I dislike the recent "Spoonfeed it to me or the content is trash" mindset lately.
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    edited July 31, 2018
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    deepdrake wrote: »

Not only that a lot of the traits aren't easy to unlock (oh good I can make another "can we not ask for nerfs" thread) I think one of the reqs is the title you get for soloing alban advanced.

I like content that's hard to get, and I dislike the recent "Spoonfeed it to me or the content is trash" mindset lately.

THIS
    This right here.
    I am glad the recent gens were not a big push over. As someone who is 23k TTL I was getting tired of being able to solo the content with a click of my firebolt or one cycle of FH. G19-21 got me thinking abit.
    It's always the same people also.
    "WAH THIS CONTENT IS TOO HARD, NERF THIS NEXONNNNN!!!!!!!" -> Nexon makes content easier -> "WAHHHH THIS CONTENT IS TOO EASY NEXON MAKE THIS HARDERRRRRR!!!"

Hellkaizer
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    THIS
    This right here.
    I am glad the recent gens were not a big push over. As someone who is 23k TTL I was getting tired of being able to solo the content with a click of my firebolt or one cycle of FH. G19-21 got me thinking abit.
    "WAH THIS CONTENT IS TOO EASY, NERF THIS NEXONNNNN!!!!!!!" -> Nexon makes content easier -> "WAHHHH THIS CONTENT IS TOO EASY NEXON MAKE THIS HARDERRRRRR!!!"

Did you mean "Wah, its too hard"?
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    THIS
    This right here.
    "WAH THIS CONTENT IS TOO EASY, NERF THIS NEXONNNNN!!!!!!!" -> Nexon makes content easier -> "WAHHHH THIS CONTENT IS TOO EASY NEXON MAKE THIS HARDERRRRRR!!!"

Why not both?
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    THIS
    This right here.

yeah,I was half asleep when I typed that.
    Blissfulkill
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,050
    edited August 1, 2018

A pretty darn good example of this is the armor coming with g22, it enhances the new "traits" we're getting and I'm pretty sure it'll make anything in game currently obsolete (Minus things like bohemian set most likely)

Would I rather have had the abyss dragon stuff be crafted? AbsoFreakingLutely, is it the end of the world? Not really. It would've been worse if we just straight up got langu/bhafel in a gacha imo.

so what exactly does it do? I was thinking of making a langu set for my giant for gunner but if this trumps everything but boh set might as well just sell my mats lol.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Veylaine wrote: »

so what exactly does it do? I was thinking of making a langu set for my giant for gunner but if this trumps everything but boh set might as well just sell my mats lol.

Langu will still be good, don't worry.

So there's a skill called transcendent life, it gives you a massive HP shield and from the g22 dungeon there's armor drops that will make that shield bigger (at least as far as I know). There's most likely going to be ones that effect the damage skills as well, and those will be more "better" in a lot of cases than langu/bhafel/abyss drag.

If you're just making langu for the attack speed I'd probably use some other way of getting it.
  • Clovis15Clovis15
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,780
    edited August 2, 2018
    I just realized this Abyss Dragon Full Armor everyone is making such a fuss about only has 6 more Damage Protection than what I'm already using (and it really isn't min-maxed in the least), which - when combined with the Protection bonus I get from my Doll Bag set - would barely give me any additional benefit whatsoever. It's important to remember that the Protection stat is one where you get rapidly diminishing returns the more you have. And as for the Magic Protection, I'd maybe get a single extra percent... at best... (my INT is regularly over 1400, and sometimes higher depending on the current rebirth).

I'm sure this looks like some godly item to lower-levelled players, but it really isn't nearly as great otherwise. By the time you could easily afford it you simply won't need it, and those who could make the most of it usually aren't in a position to afford it either. I honestly just advise you pretend it doesn't exist, because you aren't missing out - it'd be wasted Gold in the long run - and there's more important things to pursue if you're still at a juncture where it otherwise still seems amazing.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Clovis15 wrote: »
    I just realized this Abyss Dragon Full Armor everyone is making such a fuss about only has 6 more Damage Protection than what I'm already using (and it really isn't min-maxed in the least), which - when combined with the Protection bonus I get from my Doll Bag set - would barely give me any additional benefit whatsoever. It's important to remember that the Protection stat is one where you get rapidly diminishing returns the more you have. And as for the Magic Protection, I'd maybe get a single extra percent... at best... (my INT is regularly over 1400, and sometimes higher depending on the current rebirth).

I'm sure this looks like some godly item to lower-levelled players, but it really isn't nearly as great otherwise. By the time you could easily afford it you simply won't need it, and those who could make the most of it usually aren't in a position to afford it either. I honestly just advise you pretend it doesn't exist, because you aren't missing out - it'd be wasted Gold in the long run - and there's more important things to pursue if you're still at a juncture where it otherwise still seems amazing.

It comes off as elitist when said, but to a newer player it does look absurd. I can bet most of the people here don't even have langu/bhafel sets, (Which are almost cheaper to make than abyss armor now btw). Not gonna lie, if I could trade all the prot/def on my gear for a little more damage I would.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium

It comes off as elitist when said, but to a newer player it does look absurd. I can bet most of the people here don't even have langu/bhafel sets, (Which are almost cheaper to make than abyss armor now btw). Not gonna lie, if I could trade all the prot/def on my gear for a little more damage I would.

I think you're missing the point that the armor itself is comparable to the the STRONGEST armor sets in-game. Not mid-tier armors, but the strongest armors that a normal free player can obtain and only at a chance because of the nature of the crafting rolls. Your argument would work better if it was closer to a mid-tier set, but this isn't, this is explicitly being compared to the strongest obtainable armor sets. This is a bad practice and you should NOT be encouraging it. This is compounded by the fact that the armor is all but upgraded for you, AND has an R1 reforge, AND has 2 status effects. On top of that, we're not just comparing them to the strongest armors in game at just even decent rolls, we're explicitly comparing them to the armors at their absolute best, how many people here are going to gather all the materials for the armor set and craft it and have the craft come out with perfect stats? Even with Dan 3 AND craft bonus enchants (dubious if they even work on MC and Engineering), the people that come out with perfect rolls are still going to be a tiny minority, and this is on top of getting 4 perfect rolls for all 4 pieces for it to be definitively superior stat wise to the Abyss. Even THEN it still loses out to the abyss thanks to the Bhafel only have 15% melee auto def to the Abyss's 20%. So yeah, even if the materials are bit cheaper, this in effect ENCOURAGES players to not play the game and just fork over cash for an armor set that is basically going to be stronger than what they'd make unless they build multiple copies of the armor sets to get the best crafts.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    edited August 2, 2018

I think you're missing the point that the armor itself is comparable to the the STRONGEST armor sets in-game. Not mid-tier armors, but the strongest armors that a normal free player can obtain and only at a chance because of the nature of the crafting rolls. Your argument would work better if it was closer to a mid-tier set, but this isn't, this is explicitly being compared to the strongest obtainable armor sets. This is a bad practice and you should NOT be encouraging it. This is compounded by the fact that the armor is all but upgraded for you, AND has an R1 reforge, AND has 2 status effects. On top of that, we're not just comparing them to the strongest armors in game at just even decent rolls, we're explicitly comparing them to the armors at their absolute best, how many people here are going to gather all the materials for the armor set and craft it and have the craft come out with perfect stats? Even with Dan 3 AND craft bonus enchants (dubious if they even work on MC and Engineering), the people that come out with perfect rolls are still going to be a tiny minority, and this is on top of getting 4 perfect rolls for all 4 pieces for it to be definitively superior stat wise to the Abyss. Even THEN it still loses out to the abyss thanks to the Bhafel only have 15% melee auto def to the Abyss's 20%. So yeah, even if the materials are bit cheaper, this in effect ENCOURAGES players to not play the game and just fork over cash for an armor set that is basically going to be stronger than what they'd make unless they build multiple copies of the armor sets to get the best crafts.

I'm not missing any points, and I've already stated I really dislike the abyss dragon armor for how strong it is as well. My point is we're bound for new armor that's not only better, but also has a better set effects as well. Langu/bhafel has been in the game since... 2012? In 6 years we haven't had better armor, that's pretty insane compared to all the stuff we've had for weapons. (celtics, step 7, erg). There's 2 passive skills in g22 that gives you a combined total of 500 def/ 22 prot, and 300 Mdef/84 Mprot. With how harsh diminishing returns on prot are even +10 prot would hardly make a difference.

Not only that, erg 50 on 2h gives +50def/mdef/prot/mprot as well.

The abyss dragon chest gives a whooping 1% movespeed. The horns are probably the closest thing I'd call truly OP but unless you're using a vslow/slow weapon it pretty much does nothing, it's 10% delay reduction while GM festia wings are 30% and even those aren't all that noticeable.

it's not going to carry you if you're at a part of the game where you need this kind of stuff and any earlier you can't afford the repair fee.

Ideally we'd only get appearance change scrolls in gacha that work on armor as well.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium

I'm not missing any points, and I've already stated I really dislike the abyss dragon armor for how strong it is as well. My point is we're bound for new armor that's not only better, but also has a better set effects as well. Langu/bhafel has been in the game since... 2012? In 6 years we haven't had better armor, that's pretty insane compared to all the stuff we've had for weapons. (celtics, step 7, erg). There's 2 passive skills in g22 that gives you a combined total of 500 def/ 22 prot, and 300 Mdef/84 Mprot. With how harsh diminishing returns on prot are even +10 prot would hardly make a difference.

The abyss dragon chest gives a whooping 1% movespeed. The horns are probably the closest thing I'd call truly OP but unless you're using a vslow/slow weapon it pretty much does nothing, it's 10% delay reduction while GM festia wings are 30% and even those aren't all that noticeable.

it's not going to carry you if you're at a part of the game where you need this kind of stuff and any earlier you can't afford the repair fee.

Ideally we'd only get appearance change scrolls in gacha that work on armor as well.

Still not an excuse to release something like this. At best this should've been something similar to DK armor, which are respectably strong, but at least they're only mid-tier.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer

Still not an excuse to release something like this. At best this should've been something similar to DK armor, which are respectably strong, but at least they're only mid-tier.

It's not an excuse at all, I really dislike most gacha enchants/armors in the first place but people saying they're quitting because of how broken the armor is, and the general outcry against it is blown way out of proportion.
  • ArbiterArbiter
    Mabinogi Rep: 530
    edited August 2, 2018
    I don't really find this armor to be pay to win. It doesn't really make anything important any less difficult having it. Sure, elves can wear it, but their dex will still go into the toilet if they do. It comes out of the box very strong, which I have wished they would stop doing since Iria Saga II when they put BDK gear in gachas which came out the box stronger than a maxed ego (when they were still relevant), but those big numbers aren't that godly in practice.

I believe instead of throwing in fully created items besides r1 pre-reforged which is a nice treat for players, they should release more patterns and manuals and make Blacksmithing and Tailoring more relevant.

Any elf or human who takes this abyss armor into an Alban Knights Heroic is still going to get 1-2 shot by a heavy gremlin anyways.

Any giant could just use defense with a shield and take 1 damage (from basically anything) or use Wind Guard to get +100 protection, so the extra few stats don't really matter.

All and all, I feel like Nexon should stop giving players handouts with gacha, but it's probably how they make 90% of their money (speculating, ofc) and lazy players rather just get stuff out of gacha than grind for it.

I just want to see the Dev team put more effort into renewing and maintaining the different game mechanics/systems they have in place rather than disregarding/circumventing them completely.

Also those whales that people seem to spite so much are probably singlehandely fund the server, lol. Sure they might be able to mag 100k or something, but there's VERY few instances where that's even necessary and imagine all the money they spent (legally or 3rd party). They aren't opening $10 of gacha and getting full Abyss sets.
  • Clovis15Clovis15
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,780
    edited August 2, 2018
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not particularly amused this exists, on multiple levels even. I definitely wish Nexon hadn't made this, partially because it's an absurdly convenient package (if you can afford - that is - which you probably won't be able to). I was merely trying to better put things into perspective, since nearly everyone salivating over it fell squarely in the "can't yet grind gold that quickly" camp of players. It's really just not worth it, especially at that cost - especially with how the Protection stat works - and especially with Generation 22 on the horizon.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not particularly amused this exists, on multiple levels even. I definitely wish Nexon hadn't made this, partially because it's an absurdly convenient package (if you can afford - that is - which you probably won't be able to). I was merely trying to better put things into perspective, since nearly everyone salivating over it fell squarely in the "can't yet grind gold that quickly" camp of players. It's really just not worth it, especially at that cost - especially with how the Protection stat works - and especially with Generation 22 on the horizon.

There's been langu armor for so cheap on alexina board lately because of this. People are hard core overreacting