Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Need some quick advice on skill resetting

PandaninjaPandaninja
Mabinogi Rep: 830
edited August 5, 2018 in Help
I recently started playing again and I really like chain slash skills a lot more now. My character was a Mage/Alch/Bard, but now I'm thinking of resetting my mage skills so that I can get more AP to do Archery + Chain Slash. Do you guys think this is worth it? I'll lose all my rank 1 progress and other skill progress, right? Or do you guys think I should leave those skills alone and just try to grind for more AP? (Currently I've put maybe 1k AP into Chain Slash skills, but none into Archery or any of the DEX life skills and stuff)

Also do you guys think Archery + Chain Slash + Alchemy is a pretty decent combo? I really wanted to do Puppetry but I've heard it's more of a late game kinda thing than anything (like if I master all the DEX and STR stuff to be able to pull off a good Puppet skillset).

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    I would just grind AP and do Chains if i were you. But yet again, if i were you i would try to give attention to CP related skills first.
    Pandaninja
  • OrkaneOrkane
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,365
    I second what Greta said; getting more AP is better than replacing old skills.

Right now, the connous beach event lets you get 50 extra AP a day so it's a great time to build up a lot of AP.
    Pandaninja
  • GretaGreta
    Orkane wrote: »
    I second what Greta said; getting more AP is better than replacing old skills.

Right now, the connous beach event lets you get 50 extra AP a day so it's a great time to build up a lot of AP.

And you also were supposed to get a Rebirth Potion once every weekend so you can get even more AP for leveling up.
    Pandaninja
  • CallantheCallanthe
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,110
    If I'd have to choose to reset one of these talents, I'd keep magic/bard and reset alchemy. Alch isn't exactly worth the amount of AP you have to spend on it, magic costs about the same but is more powerful - and this is coming from someone who's grandmastering battle alchem at the moment. But this is of course just my opinion, if you prefer to play a alchemist, go for it.

Archery + chain is really good if you're an elf. My elf friends rock that combo, but I have a hard time trying to shoot foxes with my human.

And I'm all for resetting, especially if you've been away for enough time to get the returned quest. You get 2 reset caps from that, so might as well use them and try out other skillsets.
    GretaJazmynPandaninja
  • GretaGreta
    edited August 5, 2018
    Callanthe wrote: »
    If I'd have to choose to reset one of these talents, I'd keep magic/bard and reset alchemy. Alch isn't exactly worth the amount of AP you have to spend on it, magic costs about the same but is more powerful - and this is coming from someone who's grandmastering battle alchem at the moment. But this is of course just my opinion, if you prefer to play a alchemist, go for it.

Archery + chain is really good if you're an elf. My elf friends rock that combo, but I have a hard time trying to shoot foxes with my human.

And I'm all for resetting, especially if you've been away for enough time to get the returned quest. You get 2 reset caps from that, so might as well use them and try out other skillsets.

I like what you said. But just gonna add that you can reset your skills at Duncan for small amount of gold ANYTIME and AS MUCH AS YOU WANT. Which means that if you regret ranking any Talent and want to concentrate on another one, but you need AP asap, then you can do a reset. But be aware that all your training progress will be reset and you will also become squishy as hell since you will be only gaining/keeping stats from one Talent because of these resets, so i'll recommend choosing to rank at least 2 talents at once (especially Warrior for a start if you are Human/Giant, and Archery if you are Elf) and try to avoid wandering around between Talents too much. Choose your 2-3 favorite talents and master them first before moving on to another ones.
    JazmynCallanthePandaninja
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Callanthe wrote: »

All great advice, and I agree on the Alchemy thing... but I totally don't understand how people have such an issue with bow as a human... I'm a grandmaster archer and grandmaster chain on my human, only now working on warrior, and I live over halfway across the states from Cali and don't have any issues using most range skills and have a crappy computer that gives me a warning every time I start the game. Magnum shot takes patience, yes, and granted, I'm slower and obviously have less damage with one arrow vs two, but it is totally do-able... :o Not trying to start a war. Lol. I respect everyone for their choices of talents and skills in the game, I mean, that's really what Mabi is all about. <3 I just truly don't get it.
    Pandaninja
  • CallantheCallanthe
    I don't know, honestly. I tried training archery some time ago and it was absolutely miserable so I'm saving it for the last. I imagine with elf's speed and Vision of Ladeca it's much more pleasant.

Duncan's resets are a godsend, I abused the hell out of them when I was training some CP-dependent skills.Combine with -CP gear and you can train boss-level requirements on raccoons :D
    JazmynPandaninja
  • PandaninjaPandaninja
    Whoa, thanks everyone so much for the responses! I really appreciate all the advice. This is a little awful but I'm just having such a hard time letting go of alchemy. But I know I can definitely forgo it. I also just found out about these neat extra equipment slots! I think I'm going to take everyone's advice. I'm going to main Chain/Archery, with (not focusing on) Magic/Alchemy in my extra slots (using only a few utility skills or AoE skills).

Also I did not know Duncan can reset my skills for gold. WHOA! I totally thought this was a beginner's only thing! Thank you so much for bringing that to my attention.

Lastly, I just want to do a double check. If I main Chain/Archery and have Magic/Alchemy on the side (I think I'll just use a couple alchemy skills like rain casting and shock mostly), which Magic skills should I mainly use? I think I have to differentiate between using mostly wands/staff, but that's because back then I was maining magic. If I'm only splashing in those skills, which ones should I focus more on?

Thanks again everyone. You've all been a great help!!
  • GretaGreta
    I usually see people who use Magic spam skills such as: Lightning Rod, Fireball, Thunder and sometimes even Ice Spear. You can choose which ones suit you most. :)
    Pandaninja
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    For the most part people are only recommended to reset their skills if they happen upon a very CP heavy skill and need to cripple themselves so that training isn't completely hair pulling. Otherwise it is always better to build up AP and rank skills as the stats they give is far more valuable to you and your normal play than a bigger AP pool to swim in. As for hybridizing, there are many MANY unique combinations one could go for, and it all comes down to what is most fun for you. I'm a player that has all 3 extra equip slots active and I make use of many many combat talents and I perform very well in almost all situations, so the idea of "Does X work with Y" comes down to a matter of how much you like a certain talent since all skills have their quirks and effects that you can exploit. You can even adjust how much of a certain talent you want to hybridize for a specific play style. Since you have experience in Mage and Alchemy, lets take a look at that, there are actually 2 types of hybridization options that just these talents have.

1: 50/50 split. Generally wielding a staff in one slot, and a cylinder/guard cylinder in the other, you have access to pretty much all magic and alchemy with this set up. However, some things are hindered, staves cannot chain cast bolts, so you lose out on some options here. Alchemy however, is completely unhindered by the set up and its full potential is completely accessible.

2: 75/25 split. Wielding a staff in one slot, and a wand (Tribolt or a preferred elemental wand) + a guard cylinder in the other. This gives you access to most alchemy skills, but their damage and effectiveness is significantly lowered, however, you have the full potential of magic accessible, including chain cast for bolts (assuming your wand is optimized).

I usually advocate for the 2 damage type set up (melee and magic) since it lets you fall back on something if a specific mob is immune to a certain type of attack. But any set up is fine, above all else, don't worry too much about personal power. Just have fun is the theme.
    PandaninjaCallanthe
  • PandaninjaPandaninja
    Greta wrote: »
    I usually see people who use Magic spam skills such as: Lightning Rod, Fireball, Thunder and sometimes even Ice Spear. You can choose which ones suit you most. :)

Thank you! I love lightning rod, I think I'll mainly use that. ^_^
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    For the most part people are only recommended to reset their skills if they happen upon a very CP heavy skill and need to cripple themselves so that training isn't completely hair pulling. Otherwise it is always better to build up AP and rank skills as the stats they give is far more valuable to you and your normal play than a bigger AP pool to swim in. As for hybridizing, there are many MANY unique combinations one could go for, and it all comes down to what is most fun for you. I'm a player that has all 3 extra equip slots active and I make use of many many combat talents and I perform very well in almost all situations, so the idea of "Does X work with Y" comes down to a matter of how much you like a certain talent since all skills have their quirks and effects that you can exploit. You can even adjust how much of a certain talent you want to hybridize for a specific play style. Since you have experience in Mage and Alchemy, lets take a look at that, there are actually 2 types of hybridization options that just these talents have.

1: 50/50 split. Generally wielding a staff in one slot, and a cylinder/guard cylinder in the other, you have access to pretty much all magic and alchemy with this set up. However, some things are hindered, staves cannot chain cast bolts, so you lose out on some options here. Alchemy however, is completely unhindered by the set up and its full potential is completely accessible.

2: 75/25 split. Wielding a staff in one slot, and a wand (Tribolt or a preferred elemental wand) + a guard cylinder in the other. This gives you access to most alchemy skills, but their damage and effectiveness is significantly lowered, however, you have the full potential of magic accessible, including chain cast for bolts (assuming your wand is optimized).

I usually advocate for the 2 damage type set up (melee and magic) since it lets you fall back on something if a specific mob is immune to a certain type of attack. But any set up is fine, above all else, don't worry too much about personal power. Just have fun is the theme.

This is perfect, thank you! I just one more quick question for you I hope you don't mind. How do you set up your hotkeys / skills? I often find myself fumbling over my skills and such, or that I press the wrong thing because it's too far out or so, or I don't know which set to change it into because sometimes the shift / ctrl + 1,2,... doesn't work that well for me.

Thanks again!
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    I built my hotkeys out of experience and preference, so it's highly personalized and very difficult to use by another person. Basically I categorize my skills into different groups and uses, with skills that I would often use but are not tied to any weapon placed on my Fn keys. For the number keys, I keep frequently used skills in the 1-5 slots (things like water canon and flame burst go here if we use alchemy as an example) with the 6 - = keys reserved for less used skills, (shock, rain casting). I use shift + # and alt + # to quickly change between the skill slots (shift 1-4 for slots 1 - 4, and alt 1-4 for slots 5 - 8). Though my way is actually a complex way that lets me access skills for all the talents, most people just adjust their Fn and number keys to accommodate a very specific play style and combos.
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    edited August 7, 2018
    I think I would still use the reset capsules you get from the Return quests instead of going to Duncan. If I remember correctly, those reset capsules from the Return quests are un-storable and there's a couple of them that you get during the quests, making them potential inventory huggers. If you're like me and have a lot of items that hog up space, you may not like those extra few slots taken; may as well use them.

What's worse is I remember not being able to destroy them or drop them either (although they may have changed that since I used Return quests; it was quite a while ago).

Other reset capsules you get from events appear to be a lot nicer in letting you store them and can be put in the bank (for the most part)
  • CallantheCallanthe
    Staff vs wand is just personal preference IMO. Staff gives you way more variety, while CC wand allows you to specialize in an element (preferably CC fire wand). I personally use a little bit of CC firebolt spam, but mostly go with staff for thunder/lightning rod spams and an occasional meteor. Thunder can be used with just one charge, which is fun for quick room clears when the mobs aren't super tough <3

Nobody can really give you an advice on hotkeys, because it depends on your play style. If you stick to two talents then obviously hotkeys would be related to those talents, but if you have extra equip slots or are able to swap weapons on the fly then it's a completely different story.

I just realized my post basically boils down to: do whatever works for you. But yeah, that's pretty much what mabi is all about :)
  • IAAWIAAW
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,285
    edited August 9, 2018
    On the topic of wands, definitely invest in a celtic tribolt wand. "Bad" celtics aren't that expensive and they can both be upgraded for chaincasting for all three bolts and are inexpensive per repair. Even with spamming chaincasted firebolts, the 4k per point repair at 100% will have you laughing all the way to the bank.

A Celtic Guardian Staff enchanted with the Engineer's enchant will also set you up with the cheapest staff to repair at 5k per point repair at 100%.