Check out the patch notes for the July 16th update, P.E.T. Part 1: http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/23332/
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Why do people constantly insist that mabi is dying

Comments

  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 12,900
    Posts: 2,553
    Member
    edited January 9, 2018
    @Darkpixie99 ~ You obviously didn't spend much time playing those games or reading posts and announcements in their forums prior to their closures with Nexon. You're assuming all mitigation of bots, hackers and ddossers comes without a cost (loss equates to cost), and without any kind of setback (ddossers aren't hackers btw)? Whether random or not; you can't do business and make money from your game if its servers are being held down by someone with way too much free time. There were two different incidents of the black robe situation. The first was (as you implied) an inventory bug, and the second was the result of the black tent hacks. (I'm referring to the latter on 12-31-11, when the entire game was taken over). Oh my! The abusive nature of the community? Does your pointing that out somehow override my saying the game is taking blow after blow by dirty hackers? You cannot erase what I said about the MTS with "abusive nature",.. it's still hacking and it still affected all Nexon users (not just those who played MapleStory). Funding? Really? You don't say? What do suppose caused a lack of funding? "It couldn't possibly have anything to do with what I have said already". You keep putting emphasis on the legality of purchasing gold, and that's where the subtlety comes in. There's nothing 'illegal' about it outside of the game and its EULA. It's only illegal in Korea. Your assertions in reference have nothing to do with the losses accrued (all the way around) when accounts are stolen by hackers. The fact it's written in the terms of service that someone will get mad, and slap you with a ban, does not mean it isn't happening or isn't relevant to the detriment of the game. :sleeping:

  • TheOthicTheOthic
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,525
    Posts: 52
    Member
    edited January 9, 2018
    Some people still don't understand that mabi isn't what it used to be nor that times have changed within Mabi,Nexon and the gaming industry at large. Very few mmorpgs still survive on the old f2p model or come very close to it i.e war frame or whatever. Those kind of titles are few and between and sadly mabi isn't one of them and probably cant be with how the game would be a liability in NA if they decided to break away from its current Model.
    @Darkpixie99 technical stand point? don't make me laugh this is subjective on how it would be dying.. If I had to go with any opinions on this probably @Hazurah and @Tayloreski.

    @qaccy @Darkpixie99 @Liyeta @CapnRecon its obvious this game cant be as profitable as it used be in NA. times have changed, im not saying I like these changes but you have to face reality. Also don't go and tell me oh look but these other games can do it so we should we be getting it, just because someone else can do it doesn't mean it will happen the world isn't that magical that in it self is a terrible logical reasoning. @Hardmuscle has been trying to point out to you people it boils down to money, anyways you 4 should either leave your nostalgia out the door and enjoy the game or find another game :smirk: but that's just my opinion.
    Hardmuscle
  • OdinwolfeOdinwolfe
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,900
    Posts: 103
    Member
    When dunbarton AND belvast aren't filled to the brim with shops, where it overflows to the secondary channel,

    When there aren't people killing eachother in EvG all day long,

    When there are no X item on the housing board,

    When only one guild bids on a castle,

    When Primary Market channel almost never becomes truly Full,

    When a new event comes out and you have no trouble talking to an NPC because a lack of crowds (think black dragon event with the human NPC in Rano)

    When over half your FULL friends list is permanently Red,




    You know Mabi is a shadow of its former self.
    HardmuscleCrimspawcalypseJulieZarozianUnisexSherriHazurah
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    Posts: 797
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Odinwolfe wrote: »
    When there aren't people killing eachother in EvG all day long
    Why is this a problem?
    Get what you're saying though: population's gone down a bit and a lot of the older crowd moved on. Of the crew I started with, I'm probably the last one who still logs on.
    HardmuscleJulie
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 12,900
    Posts: 2,553
    Member
    @Odinwolfe ~ If they reduced all servers to one (or two, or three) channel(s), you would have your wish. Not only in Dunbarton and Belvast. ~ EvG isn't half as much fun as it was when Mirage Missile affected 'everyone'.. :trollface: ~ There's X items on the housing board every time the servers are rebooted. Castle mechanics are poop as they are. :smirk: ~ Oh yes, they'll always be full and you'll rarely be able to log in too (that'll go over like a lead balloon, I'm sure). Even with a huge crowd, there's not much problem talking to NPCs if you're comfortable with targeting ( holding Ctrl :sleeping: ). Your friends list might surprise you if all characters on a friend's account were universally tied. ~ They're probably playing on one of their 150+ alts while trolling the forums in another window. :)

  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,880
    Posts: 1,145
    Member
    Can't we blame it on Lawbreaker? The BILLION DOLLAR FRANCHISE published by NEXON.


    :v
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,440
    Posts: 1,701
    Member
    edited January 9, 2018
    Hardmuscle wrote: »

    If you don't believe the exploitation part, just check out how old the system was on Maple Wiki.
    Usually when a large system like that is shut down, it indicates that even legitimate players were abusing it in various ways as well, or that it became obsolete and no longer desirable in the company's eyes. (Marketplace portals and physical IG shops taking up server space, rather than a massive UI.)

    A temporary server closure usually indicates a larger than estimated attack that Nexon could have handled at that time, but may have not been prepared for.
    (Although it's usually just a preventive measure to keep player information safe, and intel about the attackers contained.)

    Those articles are from when Mabi was fairly new, so naturally hackers would be more adept and persistent in those times of high server population.
    I seem to recall people saying that Hackshield was easy to breach back in the day, before Mabi could build something of it's own.
    That weak security was also why Maplestory was always getting hacked as well.
    (At least at the time, Nexon's cyber security measures were pathetically weak with partners they trusted, although those partners had poor reviews with weak and outdated software.)

    The gold bots aren't the main issue here, Nexon NA's marketing team, past lack of experience or knowledge, and continuous lack of a development team are.
    Including KR's Micromanagement and the team that started that old mess. (From not wanting to create something that they could confirm would work in the first place.)
    Blaming a company's (KR/NA) self made mistakes that put player funding on stagnation and caused the community to drop out, on Gold Bots isn't going to work here.
    Nexon NA is a company with employees that have limited ability to change the code, and there will always be hackers or exploiters trying to undermine their business.
    In normal cases, the company in charge is innovative and capable enough to develop new Cash Shop systems or patch in defensive revisions, to adapt to the modern views and trends to keep the gold bots from "stealing from them," but in fact Nexon NA did none of those.
    The proof of Nexon NA's past performance is in the pudding, a gooping pile of hardening pudding that was in need of a new lid and sprinkles. The lid was added, but the pudding just still looks bland, stale even.
    Unfortunately, there's just no getting rid of gold bots anywhere you go. It's a fact of MMOGs.
    tenor.gif
    Complaining about any bots on the forums will only make things look worse than they actually appear... which gives me an idea.
    If our GMs can make a button to make us dance, why not make a button/skill that causes a botter/spammer to dance until they lose all their HP?
    It's deadly and satisfying for everyone to watch! :D At least... it's just a temporary idea to make a constant issue seem less annoying. :|

    TheOthic wrote: »
    its obvious this game cant be as profitable as it used be in NA. times have changed, im not saying I like these changes but you have to face reality.
    It hasn't been profitable as I explained above, Nexon NA was understaffed, with outdated security, people got hacked, and there was no time for any change or improvements until the recent years...which have done nothing but play catch up with Korea and fix what Ferghus broke.
    If anything, Nexon NA lost more money than KR due to KR's management style, and how behind the times the staff was.
    Right now we've got some GMs on Twitch every now and then, so they're at least trying to be cool. (Or modern, whatever.)
    Issue number one, the of lack of staff engagement is more or less getting fixed, or slightly repaired compared to the past few years of nothing of note.
    Issue number two, is finding another NA CM. So far we've only seen a handful of NA suggestions make it to KR, but hopefully that trend will continue to rise and our Mabinogi pudding will no longer be so stale. (Save Face/Hair, Homestead House Interior Decor)
  • ApollodorusApollodorus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,665
    Posts: 57
    Member
    It's actually pretty expected that this game's population would shrink even without all of the problems people bring up. This is an old game with outdated graphics and systems appealing to a niche audience in the west. Old players are naturally going to move on and new players have newer, shinier, and more polished games to draw them in. This game appeals hardcore to completionist who, once they've finished their grind or gotten tired of it, have nothing left for them in this game and they get bored. So while various other factors might have affected Mabi's dwindling population gacha/reforges/events/whatever are not really the actual cause, at least as far as I can tell. Now I could be wrong, but I've seen nothing to suggest that Nexon NA is on the verge of shutting down the servers or that the community is so sparse that it will be unable to support Mabi for the foreseeable. I kind of doubt we will make it another ten, but this game probably still has a few good years left in her.
    Darkpixie99UnisexpawcalypseMizukiHayamaSherri
  • UnisexUnisex
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,760
    Posts: 57
    Member
    Gonna be honest, I never thought mabi would live long enough that my own kid would want to play it.
    Darkpixie99GretaVeylainepawcalypseZeoSherriPolicroma
  • CrimsCrims
    Mabinogi Rep: 48,675
    Posts: 7,458
    Member
    Odinwolfe wrote: »
    When dunbarton AND belvast aren't filled to the brim with shops, where it overflows to the secondary channel,

    When there aren't people killing eachother in EvG all day long,

    When there are no X item on the housing board,

    When only one guild bids on a castle,

    When Primary Market channel almost never becomes truly Full,

    When a new event comes out and you have no trouble talking to an NPC because a lack of crowds (think black dragon event with the human NPC in Rano)

    When over half your FULL friends list is permanently Red,




    You know Mabi is a shadow of its former self.

    Well that sums it up pretty damn well. Rip.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 12,900
    Posts: 2,553
    Member
    @Darkpixie99 ~ I didn't say anything about not believing an exploit existed. You're trying to convince me that bots and hackers play no role in the dwindling of this game's population and are in no way a hindrance to Nexon's profit. ~ Please put down the crack pipe.

  • ZarozianZarozian
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,900
    Posts: 275
    Member
    Odinwolfe wrote: »
    When dunbarton AND belvast aren't filled to the brim with shops, where it overflows to the secondary channel,

    When there aren't people killing eachother in EvG all day long,

    When there are no X item on the housing board,

    When only one guild bids on a castle,

    When Primary Market channel almost never becomes truly Full,

    When a new event comes out and you have no trouble talking to an NPC because a lack of crowds (think black dragon event with the human NPC in Rano)

    When over half your FULL friends list is permanently Red,




    You know Mabi is a shadow of its former self.

    Damn son....that's like so true. o -o
  • CrimsCrims
    Mabinogi Rep: 48,675
    Posts: 7,458
    Member
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    @Darkpixie99 ~ I didn't say anything about not believing an exploit existed. You're trying to convince me that bots and hackers play no role in the dwindling of this game's population and are in no way a hindrance to Nexon's profit. ~ Please put down the crack pipe.

    Rip. XD
    Hardmuscle
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,580
    Posts: 943
    Member
    Since the chain blade update there have been time where the game literally tells me im not allowed to enter ch1.
    Also for the past like three weeks I can rarely finding any shop spaces that are open.

    The game is totally dead.
    Hardmuscle
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    Posts: 251
    Member
    Opalthira wrote: »
    Since the chain blade update there have been time where the game literally tells me im not allowed to enter ch1.
    Also for the past like three weeks I can rarely finding any shop spaces that are open.

    The game is totally dead.

    bots dont count
    Hardmuscle
  • UnisexUnisex
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,760
    Posts: 57
    Member
    Opalthira wrote: »
    Since the chain blade update there have been time where the game literally tells me im not allowed to enter ch1.
    Also for the past like three weeks I can rarely finding any shop spaces that are open.

    The game is totally dead.

    Weather and Climate are two different things.
    Just because it rains doesn't mean it stops being a desert.

  • ScarlyScarly
    Mabinogi Rep: 770
    Posts: 5
    Member
    Speaking from the perspective of a relatively new player (lol, I started two or three weeks ago), it doesn't seem dead to me. As far as "dying" goes, I think that everything is always dying, a little bit at a time, so maybe that's not a helpful way to think of things.

    Hasn't this game been around for more than a decade? Probably, there's going to be some ups and downs during that time, and the mmo market has only become more competitive since back when Mabi was first created. It isn't saying much to say that less people are online now as compared to a decade ago. A better question would be how the experience is for newer players.

    I'll just say that I felt like it was time for something different, so I went looking for cute mmos to play. I haven't played an mmo since WoW, so I had no idea what was out there. Well. I tried nearly all of the top rated mmos that looked sorta cute. I didn't like any of them, even though a lot of them were more active than Mabi. I stayed away from Mabi initially due to how old the game was, but finally I was like, "Ah, what the heck!" Sooo, I installed and started it up. After the (sometimes painful) initial tutorial, I really have enjoyed it, and I've even made a few friends in the game despite the fact that I'm antisocial af (I am... Cripplingly shy. Most of the time.).

    So, I started playing and am bringing more players into the game by word of mouth.
    Unisex wrote: »
    Opalthira wrote: »
    Since the chain blade update there have been time where the game literally tells me im not allowed to enter ch1.
    Also for the past like three weeks I can rarely finding any shop spaces that are open.

    The game is totally dead.

    Weather and Climate are two different things.
    Just because it rains doesn't mean it stops being a desert.

    That's true, but even if Mabi is a desert, that doesn't mean that it's inhospitable. Lots of plants and animals thrive in deserts and other similar environments. In fact, for some of them, only places like a desert can be home. :0

    Also, if anyone replies to this and says anything like this - "aww, cute little newbie filled with optimism. I'm a hardened player with one million hours logged and I eat the chest hair of my enemies for breakfast... Blah blah... Give it time... Blah blah... Chest hair for breakfast with no milk" - if anyone says that, then I'll never forgive you. Haha, if you're still logging in then you're evidence that the game isn't dead, so there. :0
    HardmuscleRadiant DawnPolicroma
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 12,900
    Posts: 2,553
    Member
    edited January 11, 2018
    @Scarly ~ Welcome to Mabinogi. ~ This forum represents less than half of 1 percent of the game's total population. (< .5%). Don't let the sparse delusions of those who've been screaming since the day the game first opened to the public (January 30, 2008) bother you. Threads like these are usually devised by members of one guild; as opposed to intervention by the community at large or as a whole.

    They do this in hopes of strengthening lost appeals. ~ Such as the 9 year old (won't happen anytime soon or ever) appeal to merge servers.

    ScarlyVeylaine
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    Posts: 251
    Member
    Scarly wrote: »
    Speaking from the perspective of a relatively new player (lol, I started two or three weeks ago), it doesn't seem dead to me. As far as "dying" goes, I think that everything is always dying, a little bit at a time, so maybe that's not a helpful way to think of things.

    Hasn't this game been around for more than a decade? Probably, there's going to be some ups and downs during that time, and the mmo market has only become more competitive since back when Mabi was first created. It isn't saying much to say that less people are online now as compared to a decade ago. A better question would be how the experience is for newer players.

    I'll just say that I felt like it was time for something different, so I went looking for cute mmos to play. I haven't played an mmo since WoW, so I had no idea what was out there. Well. I tried nearly all of the top rated mmos that looked sorta cute. I didn't like any of them, even though a lot of them were more active than Mabi. I stayed away from Mabi initially due to how old the game was, but finally I was like, "Ah, what the heck!" Sooo, I installed and started it up. After the (sometimes painful) initial tutorial, I really have enjoyed it, and I've even made a few friends in the game despite the fact that I'm antisocial af (I am... Cripplingly shy. Most of the time.).

    So, I started playing and am bringing more players into the game by word of mouth.
    Unisex wrote: »
    Opalthira wrote: »
    Since the chain blade update there have been time where the game literally tells me im not allowed to enter ch1.
    Also for the past like three weeks I can rarely finding any shop spaces that are open.

    The game is totally dead.

    Weather and Climate are two different things.
    Just because it rains doesn't mean it stops being a desert.

    That's true, but even if Mabi is a desert, that doesn't mean that it's inhospitable. Lots of plants and animals thrive in deserts and other similar environments. In fact, for some of them, only places like a desert can be home. :0

    Also, if anyone replies to this and says anything like this - "aww, cute little newbie filled with optimism. I'm a hardened player with one million hours logged and I eat the chest hair of my enemies for breakfast... Blah blah... Give it time... Blah blah... Chest hair for breakfast with no milk" - if anyone says that, then I'll never forgive you. Haha, if you're still logging in then you're evidence that the game isn't dead, so there. :0

    you dont know this but the game has nothing to offer after you beaten the story, you do not need a powerful weapon to be powerful and fashion is lock behind gotcha. if you were to not play the storyline, you will see the same problems.
  • CaptmuffinzCaptmuffinz
    Mabinogi Rep: 625
    Posts: 13
    Member
    Hmm.... People still like to point finger and blame any thing that could cause mabinogi dying. Lately I been not spending much time on mabinogi and not spending much time on mabinogi forum. Just when I came back to check up on thing. I did saw some good update add into the game. Still find the player base or what they do in game. Are still pretty much the same. Old player have less reason to play and have some thing more important to do. New player don't want to do long grinding and also it is boring. Well mabinogi fan will be just fans of the game. I was one those mabinogi fan. Into I throw away my mabinogi fandom feeling. Just to find out.... What it mean to play better game then mabinogi. If you one of those user been playing mabinogi more then 3 to 6 years now. Of course you will be bored. The...
This discussion has been closed.