Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Can't train combat skills

AkarugiAkarugi
Mabinogi Rep: 300
in Help
I don't know if I'm missing some obvious game mechanic (if that's the case I apologize for the dumb post) but I simply can't train combat skills anymore.
I already tried killing raccoons, spiders, dire wolves, but none of them are giving me any skill xp. I just switched to Chain Blade after using Puppetry for a while, but both my Novice chain skills and my ranked puppet skills, as well as Combat Mastery, are stuck and never get any progress at all. The only combat-related skill that still gets xp is Critical Hit when I do get a critical.
I tried using some life skills and they're getting xp just fine, whatever this is seems to only be affecting combat skills.
The only possibly related event that comes to my mind is how I did a certain quest yesterday that propelled me all the way from lvl 30-something to lvl 130+, but I already rebirthed and still can't train my skills.
Does it have something to do with my cumulative lvl? It's exactly 191 now, do I have to find insanely strong mobs or something? I'm pretty much still a noob and only got to lvl 4 after my last rebirth.

Comments

• FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    edited March 19, 2020
    Hi,

Since you mentioned Combat Mastery, it likely has to do with Combat Power (CP). Ranking skills in the game helps build up your CP.

If the raccoons and foxes appear as "Weak"/"Weakest" (which you can check by pressing "Alt" while you're around them), it means your CP is much higher than theirs, thus there isn't much satisfaction in killing them anymore.

The training requirements for certain skills in the game require you to tackle enemies with certain CP levels. When that is the case, you'll have to seek out other enemies based on their CP in relation to yours. The wiki link is helpful in explaining a lot of that.

You should still be able to gain skill exp for skills like Puppet's Snare, since the only training requirement is "Use the skill successfully."

EDIT: oops typo.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    If it IS because of combat power, just go visit Duncan and get your skills lowered. This lowers your combat power and returns the AP back to you. Don't worry, you can just put the AP back and boost them back up. I would Caveat, that any partial progress made to a next rank will be lost when you lower the skills, so you have to prepare for this in advance, or throw caution to the wind; whatever.