[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Immersion vs Convenience

nomigid15nomigid15
Mabinogi Rep: 1,410
in Story Discussion
Am I the only one who hates it when online games sacrifice lore in the name of "streamlining" content, like Maplestory centralizing PQs (which makes them feel less like perilous expeditions and more like daily errands) or Mabinogi removing Guard attacks in Filia and Vales (I mean, they could at least stop you for questioning if you're of/allied with the opposing race) and cramming the Falcon and Beast transformations into G2 (discarding the Elves>Desert Ghosts plotline in the process). Of course, I'm probably one of a VERY tiny minority of gamers who thinks story is as important as gameplay (as well as a moderately obsessive-compulsive pedant).

Thoughts?
Hardmuscle

Comments

• EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,565
    Oh yah.

I've been playing the revamped Chapter 1 on some noobie alts and the storyline doesn't even make sense any more. It's just a jumble of fetch quests and NPCs telling you to do specific stuff. The part where the Price investigates Esras stood out to me as being compressed beyond comprehension.

Also a long time ago I used to talk to all NPCs with the mainstream keywords because they actually had unique responses to them. Now it's all just "I don't know" responses.

I think if they wanted to open Chapter 1 to elves and giants, they should have split the storyline three ways from G2 onwards. The way they integrated Falcons/Beasts into the story is just so awkward and clumsy. As it is, you're stuck mucking around in human paladin training because your only clue is to "seek the path of the Knight of Light". If I'm an elf, why not tell me to seek the path of the ancient Falcons?

Jr7jPpI.png

Really, woman? You're telling me that at this point?

YFJbytv.png

Instead of having this thing where you run around with a piece of armour that doesn't look anything like the falcon/beast transformation, it could have given elves/giants an alternate set of quests that eventually leads back to Esras's plot. Maybe you learn about the curse of Irinid. Maybe there are clues about the Irinid in Uladh (she's not in Iria any more, so she must've gone that way, right?), so you run around in dungeons to look for her. Maybe you do the Good Deeds sequence to prove yourself worthy of the Irinid's and the spirits' blessings. Maybe the search causes you to stumble upon a certain necromancer and her golem. Maybe you discover that the little red haired girl in the dungeon is a vessel for a goddess, but it turns out to be Macha, not the one you were looking for.

Surely there are other ways to tell this story without being human-centric. It doesn't have to be a wildly different story, just a similar one from a different perspective.
    Hardmuscle
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,410
    Some G2 tweaks I've been thinking of myself:

- Talking to Craig the first time will give you a Falcon (if an elf) or Beast (if a giant) keyword.

- Talking to Rian and Esras will give you a Lord's Recommendation, which you give to Castenea (if an elf) or Krug (if a giant).

- Castenea will give you a Longa Ruins Pass for Falcon Awakening, while Krug will give you a Par Ruins Pass for Beast Awakening. Both will also give a Red Wing of the Goddess for their respective dungeons.

- The Math G2 Dungeon will still be done as normal, albeit with tweaked dialog.

- Instead of giving the Glowing Gargoyle Statue to Aer, it will be used to access a Glowing Gargoyle Dungeon in the Karu Forest Ruins. Completing it will reward you with an Ancient Tablet of the Irinid, which you give to Aer in exchange for a Falcon Feather with the Spirit's Blessing (if an elf) or a Beast Pelt with the Spirit's Blessing (if a giant).

As for the old Transformation Quest storyline, maybe a modified version of that could be placed after G3, as an alternative to the (human exclusive) Dark Knight Questline.
    Hardmuscle
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,700
    edited August 13
    I have so many unanswered questions.....

I never found out the way to get to Sesame Street, why Dora doesn't just use Google Maps, why we don't ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"; why women can't put on mascara with their mouth closed, why "abbreviated" is such a long word, why lemon juice is made with artificial flavor yet dishwashing liquid is made with real lemons, why they sterilize the needle for lethal injections and why do you have to "put your two cents in" but it's only a "penny for your thoughts"? Where's that extra penny going to? Can a hearse carrying a corpse drive in the carpool lane? Why does The Alphabet Song and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star have the same tune? Why did you just try to sing those two previous songs? And just what is Victoria's secret? You see, the world just has to keep going. I have too many questions......and do you really think I am this witty ???? ...because I actually stole this from a friend, who stole from a friend, who stole from a friend, who stole from a friend, who stole from a friend. P.S. and why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets??