Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Reactivate the old Mana Crystalisation Recipes

HelsaHelsa
Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
edited November 20, 2018 in Feedback and Suggestions
I don't mean going back entirely to how things were, I do like how the alchemy skills work now. But I kinda miss making all the various crystals, it'd be nice to be able to do that again and have them work even if you don't have that particular skill associated with the crystal. So kinda have both systems work in parallel. You can use a similar mechanism that is already used to make Ice Spear, Fire Ball, and Thunder preferable to Mana Crystalisation.

Helsa0151
Alexina

Comments

• GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    I kinda wish they'd made it so loading mana crystals (fireball, IS, and thunder) have 0 load times. Their power is already significantly less and their effects are crippled, not to mention it consumes ammo, giving them a 0 load time would at least make them viable when compared to actual magic.
    YangKoeteBronzebreak
  • HelsaHelsa
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    I kinda wish they'd made it so loading mana crystals (fireball, IS, and thunder) have 0 load times. Their power is already significantly less and their effects are crippled, not to mention it consumes ammo, giving them a 0 load time would at least make them viable when compared to actual magic.

It's probably the point that it be inferior to the actual skills in all aspects, since in a sense one can gain the three magic spells quite easily via Mana Crystalization. Recall that the crystals are supposed to be five-charges. Turning that into a weaker but spamable snap cast will likely break things. Ice spear for example does more than inflict damage, it is the mother of all stun effects. I'm pretty sure that quick-draw-ice-spear-elves wouldn't like it, in the same way Human's don't like folks talking about Final Hit.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    It's far more likely that DevCat completely forgot about it. When the alch skills were updated, they had animations added so that they would appear on the guard cylinder if one was equipped. The mana crystals still appear on the right hand even if no cylinder was equipped there. But the point is that there's already plenty of draw backs for using mana crystals in the first place. They have lower power, are consumables, and receive no crit bonuses. Plus the implications are that you've already spent the time to cast them already so it'd fit with the "prepared before the fight" idea that Alchemy was going for. Beyond that they receive no bonuses from anything so them being spammable would offset their complete uselessness somewhat. We also need to consider that the mana crystals serve no purpose besides the IS one being a material for ice mines and yet we get them from SM reward chests.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Don't get me wrong; I do feel your pain. The load time is frustrating. Perhaps if the load time were reduced to being similar to other alchemy skills, would be reasonable?
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Either way they need something to make it a viable alternative to manually casting magic.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Either way they need something to make it a viable alternative to manually casting magic.

In battle it is inferior when compared to it's magical equivalents. But due to the relative ease of getting Mana Crystalization, and that doing so gives you all three attacks, perhaps it was meant to be some kind of poor-man's version of the three skills in one. Maybe, it's point is so that newer players can get something relatively quickly?
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Helsa wrote: »

In battle it is inferior when compared to it's magical equivalents. But due to the relative ease of getting Mana Crystalization, and that doing so gives you all three attacks, perhaps it was meant to be some kind of poor-man's version of the three skills in one. Maybe, it's point is so that newer players can get something relatively quickly?

I'm almost certain there was no consideration into balancing for this. Consider the original status of Int magic when this was designed. These were faster but weaker alternatives to Int magic, being able to completely cast 5 charges in a shorter time than what magic was capable of. So yeah, the original intention WAS to have the crystals as a faster but weaker alternative to magic.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited November 23, 2018
    Would it be possible for every post in this thread after the first post be ripped out and merged with the "Just some Alchemy additions and change suggestions new" thread, as they would be more properly located in that thread by subject matter rather than being a massive tangent from the original subject of the first post here?