Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Character Creation Pending During Merge

MesosMesos
Mabinogi Rep: 100
in General Chat
Hi,

When will the merge be done? Or is it already done? I'm still unable to create my character because of the merge. Admins please respond.

Also,
coming back in a really long time... last time I was played was when the elves and giants came out. How should I go about everything? Does anyone have a good source for general leveling guide / etc?

Much appreciated!

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Mesos wrote: »
    Hi,

When will the merge be done? Or is it already done? I'm still unable to create my character because of the merge. Admins please respond.

Also,
    coming back in a really long time... last time I was played was when the elves and giants came out. How should I go about everything? Does anyone have a good source for general leveling guide / etc?

Much appreciated!

Character creation is turned off until the merge which is scheduled for April 14. This is to prevent last minute name stealing. You played before, is that character still extant? If you haven't played since G5/6, oh boy has the game changed. Several new regions have been added to both continents plus theres a new multiregion island in between them. There's a second type of magic called Alchemy that has been added, which is quiet powerful but not in a flashy way but in a slow and patient way. The combat system has changed: basically they took combat skill load times and transfered them to the end of the cool down times, but they did not do so for monsters, they're still on the old system. So, now you can react to the monster skill choices. It makes one on one's so much more possible now but multi-agro can still be a challenge. There is so much more changed since then. I'd recommend reading through these forums to get a fuller picture. Good luck!
  • ThePravinThePravin
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,380
    Helsa wrote: »
    Hi,

Also,

Much appreciated!

This is to prevent last minute name stealing.

Please tell me this isn't the actual reason an entire talent is locked down and new characters can't be created. It would have been pretty easy to just lock out names from the Alexandra server.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    ThePravin wrote: »
    Hi,

Also,

Much appreciated!

Please tell me this isn't the actual reason an entire talent is locked down and new characters can't be created. It would have been pretty easy to just lock out names from the Alexandra server.

Database integrity. Nexon doesn't want to have to account for new new entries into the system right now. The game is freaking old, extremely complex, and buggy as hell. If you don't understand this or know the game's history with it obsolete engine WHICH CAN NOT BE UPDATED then...I don't know. Just understand that this is necessary and name stealing is only part of the reason.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited March 31, 2022
    Hi,

Also,

Much appreciated!

It's the reason why you can't make characters right now; it's why you can't even make pets. You might not even be able to make homesteads right now either. With the database locked down they may be using this time to identify all the name collisions in time for the merge itself.
    Crimsọn
  • ThePravinThePravin
    Crimsọn wrote: »
    Hi,

Also,

Much appreciated!

Database integrity. Nexon doesn't want to have to account for new new entries into the system right now. The game is freaking old, extremely complex, and buggy as hell. If you don't understand this or know the game's history with it obsolete engine WHICH CAN NOT BE UPDATED then...I don't know. Just understand that this is necessary and name stealing is only part of the reason.

not sure why you are being so hostile... This is exactly why I assumed they were locked down and why the idea it had anything to do with "stealing names" was ridicules. Any names from that server that people wanted to snipe was done long ago. The server murge wasn't exactly out of nowhere.
  • VimaVima
    Mabinogi Rep: 925
    Hi,

Also,

Much appreciated!

not sure why you are being so hostile... This is exactly why I assumed they were locked down and why the idea it had anything to do with "stealing names" was ridicules. Any names from that server that people wanted to snipe was done long ago. The server murge wasn't exactly out of nowhere.

Don't worry about him, he's always like that; he won't be punished for his hostility either; so don't give in to his BS since he literally has a VFM in his guild.
  • ThePravinThePravin
    Vima wrote: »
    Hi,

Also,

Much appreciated!

Don't worry about him, he's always like that; he won't be punished for his hostility either; so don't give in to his BS since he literally has a VFM in his guild.

All he had was a bit of a harsh tone and a bit of condescension, Im new to the forums, is that punishable if you don't have a VFM?
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited April 1, 2022
    Hi,

Also,

Much appreciated!

All he had was a bit of a harsh tone and a bit of condescension, Im new to the forums, is that punishable if you don't have a VFM?

That's internet discussion for you. Personally, I didn't detect any hostility at all, but the nature of internet discussion sites forces one to be at DEFCON 1 while they're on line.
  • BanazaiSabreBanazaiSabre
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,955
    i dont really care, since almost every forum is stuck up like this, but at what point was that person hostile? was it you seeing someone use caps lock and getting offended?
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    i dont really care, since almost every forum is stuck up like this, but at what point was that person hostile? was it you seeing someone use caps lock and getting offended?

Caps lock is usually used to denote yelling. One or two words might be just bringing somebody's attention to that part, but it came off weird.

Also not entirely accurate. The engine *can* be upgraded, which is why they're bothering to port it to 64 bit in the first place. Although it was through a translator in a web browser, an engine update *is* on the table. The devs aren't mincing words, it'll be difficult as hell to pick through an immense amount of code that nobody there really knows well, but they want to do it. IMO, If they could clean up the cell shading just a tad (not a new concept by any means) or optimize the code for newer systems, it would go a very long way.

Also worth noting, they've done other "impossible" upgrades in the past, such as the dungeon system. The devs have their challenge, and they want it, so good luck to them.

Well, anyway, the game engine doesn't really have anything to do with whatever is happening server-side. There's likely no graphics in the server at all, just some scrolling error logs with maybe dots on a gameworld map or something. Maybe not even that.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    Hi,

Also,

Much appreciated!

Not really.