Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the May Quality of Life Updates! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91455/may-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-may-9th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

One server

pawcalypsepawcalypse
Mabinogi Rep: 4,705
edited April 20, 2022 in General Chat
Besides having a player's name getting taken, putting everyone in just one server was very risky. When there were at least 2 servers, when any issue were to arise players can still play since one other server works.
New servers always had issues especially when a mass migration takes place, yet back then there was a "backup" server — now there is none.

Comments

• TwelieTwelie
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,850
    People don't just hop between servers when 1 isn't working since our player data doesn't carry over. What was riskier was merging 3 and leaving 1 out. Alexina/nao weren't "backups" for each other.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,390
    That would only happen for issues where the reason causing the shut-down or crash is confined to the database partition representing whatever "server" it represents. Remember, Tarlach, Ruairi, Mari, Alexina, Nao, and Erinn are all software servers not hardware servers; the channels are the hardware servers. For all other issues it doesn't make a difference. So in order to allow a portion of the community to be able to keep playing during an emergency maintenance to address that particular kind of issue, another portion of the community has to remain constantly trapped in a second-class Mabinogi experience.
    Twelie
  • pawcalypsepawcalypse
    With one out of commission, players can still have access to the game in the other. They don't have to dedicate their time to it but can at least interact with the game.
    Not everyone has the patience to do everything again, yet for those who are willing to play they can if they want. In my experience I had to start over, my account was hacked. I had to wait close to a decade to finally have access to that old account. I have however, enjoyed using both accounts and experience two different worlds of sorts.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,185
    I think it's fair.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited April 21, 2022
    Did Nao ever crash and Alexina didn't? If so how many folks logged onto Alexina for S---s and Giggles, when it did? Even if we had some kind of "life boat" channel, just a channel not a server, then Nexon is paying to maintain it to address a very specific set of problems. I mean they could, I suppose, but their accounting department would likely tell them to shut it down.

Ironically, now that were are all on one server this idea could be implemented. A lifeboat channel would actually be another server with just one channel, that we can freely move to. Since all our names are unique now, we could freely move, if they chose to program it in. But there's still the maintenance issue.
  • pawcalypsepawcalypse
    edited April 21, 2022
    Helsa wrote: »
    Did Nao ever crash and Alexina didn't? If so how many folks logged onto Alexina for S---s and Giggles, when it did? Even if we had some kind of "life boat" channel, just a channel not a server, then Nexon is paying to maintain it to address a very specific set of problems. I mean they could, I suppose, but their accounting department would likely tell them to shut it down.

Ironically, now that were are all on one server this idea could be implemented. A lifeboat channel would actually be another server with just one channel, that we can freely move to. Since all our names are unique now, we could freely move, if they chose to program it in. But there's still the maintenance issue.

In the first few weeks of Nao it had issues similar to what happened yesterday, Alexina did too when it first was made. When either of those events happened I was in another server playing the game. I have experienced similar issues up until my other account got hacked.
    It's not running away to another, it is more that the game can still be accessed and played. If you cannot play at all, that will be worse.
  • HelsaHelsa
    pawcalypse wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »

In the first few weeks of Nao it had issues similar to what happened yesterday, Alexina did too when it first was made. When either of those events happened I was in another server playing the game. I have experienced similar issues up until my other account got hacked.

I seem to recall a time when Alexina was down and the other three weren't. In the ideal, the concept of a lifeboat channel seems like a not bad idea, but at the end of the day Nexon has to make the bottom line calculation as to whether it can afford it. Given the rather specific situation that it is meant to address, I don't think it would pass muster for Nexon's accounting department.
    pawcalypse