Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Name Change Issue?

PointsettiaPointsettia
Mabinogi Rep: 200
in General Chat
So I've noticed that if you have the +Alexina at the end of your name, and you go to change your name on the site, it says that you can't if you're in a guild or waiting to join a guild. Will this ever be changed? I don't speak for everyone, but i feel it's a huge inconvenience to (if your a guild leader) have to transfer leadership, leave the guild, change your name, wait for the name change, wait to re-join the guild, then wait for the guild to be transferred back to you.

Comments

• ThePravinThePravin
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,380
    It's because of how the game was built so it will likely always be this way.

When you design systems with the expectation names will be permanent you don't code it for handling name changes.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    So I've noticed that if you have the +Alexina at the end of your name, and you go to change your name on the site, it says that you can't if you're in a guild or waiting to join a guild. Will this ever be changed? I don't speak for everyone, but i feel it's a huge inconvenience to (if your a guild leader) have to transfer leadership, leave the guild, change your name, wait for the name change, wait to re-join the guild, then wait for the guild to be transferred back to you.
    Make it so you can still be in a guild and change your name. its a huge inconvenience (especially if your a guild leader) that you would have to transfer leadership, leave the guild, request to change your name, wait for it to happen, wait the 7 days to rejoin the guild, then wait for the leadership to be transferred back to you. I have the +Alexina tag, and i really dont want to go through all of the just to get rid of it.

Wait you have LEAVE your guild to change your name? It looks like, then, that the guild registry copies the name field over, from the character record upon acceptance into the guild, and then just forgets about it. So, when your name changes the guild registry says "who the heck are you? Get lost!". I suppose the registry could store a pointer instead, to allow things to be more dynamic but if the pointer is meaningless without reference to the particular record, what with the Primary Key being "name" then a pointer won't help at all. Nexon, Nexon, Nexon, why did you use name with server of residence for the Primary Key instead of record number?

If the guild registry stored record number instead, then you could change name freely because to the guild registry you are 5,273,876, or whatevertheheckyouare, rather than Pointsettia of Erinn.

BTW We jousted each other once. The first round of the finals, on Alexina, on St. Paddy's Day in 2013: