Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabinogi is getting Unreal Engine!

Comments

• NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    Meankidd wrote: »
    Do we think this will be an update to the current game? Or a mabinogi 2.0 while current mabi becomes a legacy game? I don't want to have to start over and buy pets again after spending 13 years beating the game; but I know a lot of games end up screwing over the old players with overhauls like this.

This is currently being planned as a update to the game and not a new game. So yes, everyone will still have all their stuff and be at the same level they were before. There are likely to be some small problems like a item or two missing but hopefully these accidents will be minimal.
    Meankidd
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    I'm willing to sacrifice my wardrobe for this update and honestly we may not get the choice; remember you own nothing on Mabinogi as per the Terms of Service.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited January 3
    Crimsọn wrote: »
    I'm willing to sacrifice my wardrobe for this update and honestly we may not get the choice; remember you own nothing on Mabinogi as per the Terms of Service.

You're not gonna need to, so don't give Nexon any ideas. :)
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
  • LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,375
    Since this will be an update, and the developers are working on getting as many items transferred to Unreal Engine as possible, this means that new content will almost certainly carry over. Weapons, clothes, pets, etc., released from this point on, I surely expect to exist when the update is released. They will want to keep Unreal in mind as they make new items for today's game.

But that has me wondering how the update might affect the release schedule of new content in the interim. Developers will essentially have to work on each object twice until Unreal is released. Once for the current engine, and once for the new one. I wouldn't be surprised if they slow things down in the future to focus more on Unreal, especially as we get close to the release of the update.

As that time draws near, they might choose to re-release limited items that have already been finalized for Unreal instead of selling new gachas. Of course, it's ultimately up to them. If they are willing to create new in-game items for each engine, they most certainly can.
  • HelsaHelsa
    The translation of items to the unreal engine is going to be accomplished with a script. I would be surprised if the makers of the Unreal engine don't actually assist, in some way, regarding the creation and troubleshooting of said scripts. Some people are trying really hard to be afraid here but it's gonna be okay.
  • LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,375
    Helsa wrote: »
    The translation of items to the unreal engine is going to be accomplished with a script. I would be surprised if the makers of the Unreal engine don't actually assist, in some way, regarding the creation and troubleshooting of said scripts. Some people are trying really hard to be afraid here but it's gonna be okay.

Oh, I'm not worried. Just curious.

Well, I am worried about the required specs to run the game after the update, but even if I have to set the game aside for a while, I expect my stuff to be fine when I return.
  • HelsaHelsa
    LoomyOfPi wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »

Oh, I'm not worried. Just curious.

Well, I am worried about the required specs to run the game after the update, but even if I have to set the game aside for a while, I expect my stuff to be fine when I return.

That is a semi-reasonable concern, but like now, they'll have game settings to tone down the experience to something that more legacy systems can handle; the PvPers will love that. On the other hand they just might update the system requirements. The point is if you have a reasonably modern system you'll be fine. But, if one is somehow managing Mabinogi on a 286, running Windows 3.1, well first, um, WOW, and second maybe they should be spending their day doing something else.