Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

I wanna return to mabi but I need some help

SkuldSkuld
Mabinogi Rep: 200
in General Chat
Hello friends..... im here to ask about mabinogi, I've been a mabinogi player for over 8 to 9 years now, the last 2 to 3 years been on and off though, always played on Alexina, thats been always my home, I guess the reason why I stopped being so active like I used to be was because the last couple years I played alone as the few friends I had already quit the game and I found myself mostly just sitting at belvast wgile selling my stuff or just AFKing and got bored pretty quickly.. but during the time I've been off mabi, I always get the need to come back, this game holds a special place in my heart so I keep coming back.. this last time however been off for the longest since I've been busy with life and other games. But I miss it, I was planning to come back but I keep hearing bad things about mabi that makes me unsure..

Is it really that bad? I'd like to hear people's opinion about the game and its current state June 2017? if you dont play anymore, what made you quit? and especially if you keep playing actively, what makes you keep playing the game and what do you think about the changes and updates everyone complains about? I felt the need to make this thread because, even though I found a similar one from March, I wanted more recent opinions that includes the latest updates.

Lastly, if I come back.. I would like to start a new account fresh, I think that would give me more things to do, I've always been a free player and all my pets I have which are a lot, I got them without spending any money and I would lose them if I start a new account but hopefully things turn out well? if I do start fresh, how should I do it? new server? if I do it in Alexina, I can at least help myself sending some of my stuff from my other characters especially the -cp gear, since training without it may be a pain in the ass? but never tried the other servers so im open to do that. I've noticed, Alexina has changed alot, it used to be friendlier or maybe its just me and havent met friendly people in the last couple years I played the game.

Thanks for everything and for taking the time to read this <3

Comments

• BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    I am still playing. I do not know why. I just like collecting clothes, chatting with Mabinogi friends on Discord, etc.
  • KysiraiKysirai
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,695
    I'm in a similar boat, my first character was in g2 but I didn't do much with them. My main on Alexina is about 12k now and I made her in G8. The reason I tell myself I keep coming back is the combat system but honestly I think it's just how much time I've put into it and the game helping me out during rough times in my life. I've never been particularly social but I truly care for the few friends I've made here.

All that to be said I can not, in good conscience, advise that anyone plays the game in it's current state. Most of the challenge, such as learning enemy AI, managing multi aggro or even using N+1 auto-attacks has been removed from the game in favor of either: A. instantly blowing up enemies or B. using very high end gear that limits you to one form of attack in order to chunk through ridiculously high health pools. While one can grind their way up to end game without super pay to win gear you will always wind up lacking and a lot of the new content (Phantasm mostly) isn't possible to complete without using enhanced gear.

For example a typical human character would need to grind the mats for the best dual swords in the game (Celtic Royal Knight Sword) due to it's increased critical damage, bash enhancement (remember what I said about limiting you to one form of attack?) and decreased durability loss (which is important due to the bash skill having a higher dura cost than auto attacks). Bash is needed because it causes hit stun and it like a spammable smash that doesn't knock enemies back. The main material for these swords are broken seal chains (4 per sword); which weren't amazingly difficult to obtain before the dungeon update. While I do think the dungeon update was a good change from a combat perspecitve this locked the higher level materials behind even harder to obtain passes and limited dungeon play to 4 players. But say you get the swords or you get them out of gacha (pay to win), now you need to fully upgrade them; with steps 1-5 being a gold sink due to success rates, step 6 blowing up your weapon on failure and the new step 7 having difficult to obtain stones and STILL blowing up your weapon on failure. Now that your weapons are at least step 5 or 6 depending on how much you like Russian Roulette it's time to enchant them; enchants being either low % chance drops from mid level dungeons so most people who will run it with you are looking for the same drop, AND enchant failure having a chance to lower your durability significantly or again blowing up your weapon on failure. This means you need to buy enchant protection potions from the cash shop at $6 a pop in addition to finding a rank 1 enchanter just to maintain the durability on the enchant scroll if it fails. Now that your stepped and enchanted you can dive into the wonderful world of reforges (again pay to win).

I know that this isn't for everyone and I apologize for the super long rant, it's just I've loved this game for so long and I can see the potential that it has and it consistently feels like that potential is being squandered. Also I generally run into nice people but from what I've heard from my friends there are a lot of assholes on Alexina but that's the same with every game. Maybe try the server forums for a bit and see how they respond.

TL;DR imo don't play this game, it'll hurt you too much...
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    edited June 21, 2017
    Started back in Open beta. Reason I keep coming back...? Money obligations and Mabi was my first MMO love. I tried to move on but there's just nothing like it in the MMo market. Guess I'm driving this car all the way till it ends.

P.s. If U've spent over billions of gold and dumped $20k+ IRL cash into this game. Then successfully quit cold turkey. Once the game closes down plz come to rehab me? :p
  • FalcondaeFalcondae
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,555
    I came back after a 3 year hiatus, and I'll admit that there were a lot of changes that I had to adjust to. It's still fun and amusing to me at some level since I keep coming back, but the thing is that I don't play as hardcore as I did before in the past, running maybe 10 to 15 HM dungeons/shadow missions a day while trying to end game. Now it's just relaxed play, enjoying it with old friends/guildmates, and just poking at things I want to poke at, especially when studying the game for my personal amusement.

To be honest, if you're not into end game stuff and just want to play at your own pace, then just have fun. Like all games, getting to end game status with all the gears and such is going to take time. Granted that I'm not end game myself, I just come back to enjoy the content and use it as a means of relaxation from the stresses of retail. While I may not advise newbies to jump in completely feet first, I would advise them to do the tutorials and learn how to actually fight since at least this way, they can actually have a chance against the revamped dungeons, even with the extra help they get from newbie bonuses.

Yeah, it's not as tough as it was back then, but nothing should be deterring them from learning and adapting.
  • RaishiiRaishii
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,245
    Just download it and try for yourself. If you like it, stay, if you don't, then uninstall. But if you're a person who's hung up on what the game used to be many years ago, because gameplay evolution phases your mind for whatever reason, I would advise you not to download.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    edited June 21, 2017
    started around 8 to 9 years ago and quit for about 6 years mostly cause I got busy with school and family stuff. out of all the mmos I have played none of them are quite as unique as mabi. there are a few bugs and glitches but the good parts of this game are still worth playing. my advice is just try the game out and see the community and game for yourself. lots of people say bad things about mabi and I wasn't sure if I should return either so it just depends on what you think of the game after experiencing the events, new content, and player community. my reason for staying is cause you are free to do almost anything in this game while other mmos have tons of restrictions. everyone plays and enjoys mabi differently so hopefully you will find a reason to play mabi again.