Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

What would be an ideal event?

AeolysAeolys
Mabinogi Rep: 5,115
edited June 22, 2017 in General Chat
I've seen many people saying that recent events being the most unfun things in existence. I can see how the recent AFK events were the most backwards and boring events created. Now we have some more interactivity with the beating up wolves event which still didn't sate most people's appetites.
So my question to all you folks is: What is your ideal Mabinogi event? Be as descriptive as you can. Include how to participate and how and what prizes will be given out.

The only rules are: it must (in theory) be implementable with Mabinogi's capabilities and it doesn't segregate players from participation by level, race, sex, etc (unless its part of the event).

Comments

• LokitinLokitin
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,060
    edited June 22, 2017
    I don't mind this event, I just mind the rewards...but then, I understand not all events can have super interesting rewards. Training seals are alright, but maybe if AP potions were included. They could include training/EXP pots in active events rather than the annoying AFK ones. And I mean just get rid of AFK events altogether, and have more events (even if they're repeated events, as long as they're the fun active ones) with AP/EXP related rewards, and a few dumb things too...like the "meh" rewards we usually get from AFK/boring events. And of course, the occasional "big event" with new interesting items like equips or gestures or something.
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited June 22, 2017
    I really enjoyed the mission point event..... I want more events like that. I also liked tail chasers..... they could make another board game event similar to the Fate Stay Night one except obviously with a different theme and make it a bit more spammable rather than 3 times a day. the limitations are always annoying for a fun event and you can only run it 3 times a day. I liked the OX Quiz, and I like the Meowbinogi Catchapon.... stuff I have to be active for. Any new event like the ones I mentioned would be great
    CrimsọnSylviaWolfe
  • ShireAccel913ShireAccel913
    Mabinogi Rep: 900
    I prefer instead revamped actual content for a while or a new fresh talent... created by NA... like JP servers did with ninja talent... to show KR that NA have their own gamecreator squad too...
    Can be based in existing items as reference or new ideas...
    Lokitin
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    I like the Fate Dice Event and Catching Tails. Both were good competitive games. I also want to see more work devoted to Mafia, but it seems it will only lead to people rigging the minigame.

For storyline, The Little Ghost Event and Samhaim were great.

Mabiland and Cookie Island had difficult minigames, but it is great to see such a large concentration of people alongside some pretty neat gifts, like the Kupas.
    badnewsbarrett
  • NilremNilrem
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,880
    For the perfect event, you must make things super challenging, but actually don't because someone will complain.
    And then because it is so easy the only way to make it not take 2 minutes is to make it grindy.
    But you can't make it grindy because people will complain.
    But then you have people who complain of the lack of daily events, so it must be daily.
    But because it is daily people will complain about afk events and having nothing to do.
    It must also give good rewards or else people will complain again.
    Just remember that if the rewards are too good people will complain about previous game features being obsolete.
    You could also make the rewards good, and have a cash shop tie in for whales, but then the event is pay to win.
    Also people will want the main reward to be new and interesting.
    But even when that happens people will still complain and call the reward a waste of time.
    And don't forget: If ANY rewards are timed or untradable, someone will complain about it.
    Yokkaichinevyn25AellRadiant DawnGreaTentacleZeo
  • AellAell
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,070
    There's hardly ever just one event going on in Mabinogi. Most of the time it's one active event and one AFK event going on. And that's how it should be, because not everyone has time to play due to work or school. AFK events are necessary to keep the less active community playing, competitive events to keep the rest entertained. But as Nilrem said there will always be someone unhappy about this or that.

The main problem is that when an active event begins, players realize that they get restrictions to have fun or receive the items they want. Some mini-games can only be done once daily, you can only receive a few random reward boxes a day and so on. That forces players to buy their wanted rewards from others, and the prices can be sky high for no other reason than RNG. Catchapon was fair for both players who can and cannot afford NX, more based on effort than money. Some cooperative or competitive events (Halloween Party, for example) could make great guild gathering activities if not for invitations or limited plays per day.

As for AFK events, I don't see how people complain about that. Most events where you get a coin or a token every 15min aren't worth leaving your PC overnight, but nevertheless welcome. It's just a bonus to any active event you would be doing. And AFK fishing... who would say no to a potion fishing event with Sidhe Finnachaid released? :P

• AgentJeanAgentJean
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,775
    edited June 23, 2017
    Bring back the treasure chest hunting event, where you go around hunting monsters for treasure chest and keys.

I'll make a gold selling Premium chests to Got-ya-pon whales who'll buy Premium keys.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    edited June 23, 2017
    Dungeon collective clear event.
    Higher difficulty of a dungeon is unlocked as U clear the thresholds collectively as a server. Better prizes and harder to collect monster spawn each tier we unlock to help U collect transformations. Amass personal points as u contribute and exchange it for nice booty. :3

Prize incentives~
    -Custom combo cards
    -Reforges
    -titles
    -2nd titles
    -Wings
    -Last but not least, access to assorted Lord tier enchants if we can bring a VIP ticket dropped via RNG from meta-tier bosses only.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    Arjune wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the mission point event..... I want more events like that. I also liked tail chasers..... they could make another board game event similar to the Fate Stay Night one except obviously with a different theme and make it a bit more spammable rather than 3 times a day. the limitations are always annoying for a fun event and you can only run it 3 times a day. I liked the OX Quiz, and I like the Meowbinogi Catchapon.... stuff I have to be active for. Any new event like the ones I mentioned would be great

MORE MISSION POINT LIKE EVENTS.
  • AeolysAeolys
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,115
    edited June 23, 2017
    Aell wrote: »
    As for AFK events, I don't see how people complain about that. Most events where you get a coin or a token every 15min aren't worth leaving your PC overnight, but nevertheless welcome. It's just a bonus to any active event you would be doing. And AFK fishing... who would say no to a potion fishing event with Sidhe Finnachaid released? :P
    When we say "afk events" we refer to the more recent wait-an-hour-to-press-a-button events that we abhor. Its not a leave-computer-on-for-hours-to-get-tokens event (which is an ok system since those events also allow tokens to be collected from monster drops and other means). But the events where you actually need to get on the computer every hour to hit a button for 10 hours (optimally; any downtime between the hour countdown and button press doesn't carry into the next hour countdown). Most people don't play or even access their computer for for 10 hours.

Fishing events are good since you fish your prizes. We essentially get a prize every minute (or more depending on your fishing rank). What is not a good fishing event is the Doki Doki island event where you need MANY materials for your daily quest which limits the amount of tokens you can get per day. The materials are not by all means common which leads to many hours of not actually playing and you don't actually get any prize until you collect enough tokens. Its not fun when your prize comes up at the end the week(s). There is no satisfaction during the process.
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    The attendance event we just had was pretty great, the dailies were more than "afk for 10 hours" and had pretty great rewards that pretty much everyone wanted. Treasure event and candy tree still ranks as the best in my book for how many cash items they bring into the game.
  • TheDumbOneTheDumbOne
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,790
    actually my two top fave events were the flag event which was a all out all skills allowed pvp respawn war. infact i like that to be perm. to have the abillity to have a spawn war.... i mean it already is..... but i mean not in a dark dingy dungeon, - plus even with the pvp war, the point to capture flags for the team.... and theirs NO LIMITERS. you also didnt lose dura(i believe)
    it was so much fun and i ranked 1 healing in under 3 days when the even was up LOLOL!

the other even i liked was the gingerbread/cookie event we had. it was a afk, you could do the dungeon and get a free pet. you can open boxes. we got a extra mini game to play additonal to the dungeon and quests task that were also not bad and help ppl sell. you could buy outfits. and it additionally allowed you to fight ginger-man at the end.
    and you could have obtained rare items as the kupas and gingerbear outfit and witch outfit.

the only ISSUE was the translation of the event and how for 3 weeks cms and gms and hosts didnt respond to them.... and then without answer quickly rewrote the events. and also ALSO gave someone a poopie prize when she requested a kupa figure. - which is pretty wrong of staff to do. knowing she WON, and knowing it was their fault for writing the list wrong of what she was allowed to get as a reward.... - like the translation wasnt bad enough. someone who WON legit got treated like a "loser". once i heard how that winner was treated- that was my last straw in enjoying this event... it was just TOO GOOD of a event until the staff messed up such a small thing... and i can say that (cus they did)
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    I just like events that give useful prizes that don't expire.

This Timed Item Event, and the non-expiring 500% Golden Experience Fruits it gives, are so nice.
    Bonus points since they're tradeable once.

Actually, the only expiring prizes from that event are the 1 Day Complete Skill Exp Potion and the Rebirth Potion.
    I just love how most of the prizes are bank-tradeable so you can get more rewards by hopping onto your other characters.

And hey, it offers free Fine Reforging Tools.
    People like getting those from events, right?
  • SylviaWolfeSylviaWolfe
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,310

I agree about the FSN one being a pretty solid model of a good event. The prizes were worthwhile, there was player interaction, and it wasn't afk or impossibly grindy. Even doki doki island, despite the dance grind was pretty engaging and I ended up talking to a lot of folks while gathering fruit/potatoes for quests.
  • badnewsbarrettbadnewsbarrett
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,890
    edited June 23, 2017
    Gaea wrote: »

MORE MISSION POINT LIKE EVENTS.

I'm pretty sure KR just got a new Mission Point event not too long ago, people have been hoping we'll get it soon too. Someone made a thread about it here in General, I'll have to see if I can find it again. But there were new wigs and I think some armor as well for the new prizes.

Edit: found it!
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    edited June 23, 2017
    Pretty sure that if the game were inherently balanced and had balanced rewards in regards to time spent on every activity in the game, there wouldn't be such a huge discrepancy in opinions from the community. I always thought RP dungeons were a good way to at least disregard the imbalance the game has brought forth over the years, or just the difference between lower and higher level players, but that honestly doesn't fix the rest of the game, so it may still end up looking lacking or too good, depending on what you reward for the event.

Also, afk bringing life to the game? Give me a break. That's about as much life as adding a bunch of statue NPCs to the game. I and a lot of people just stand around in one spot after we're done playing for that day solely because we're forced to if we actually want the reward from the event..which in a lot of cases is a very tempting boost. Do I do anything during that time though? Hardly. I'll study or play another game on top of it, most likely. Lots of people do this too. The recent development of having to press a button to retrieve the reward instead of being outright on (which also didn't really help that much in the first place) is disgusting too.

I have a simple requirement for me to enjoy an event. It shouldn't take 3 hours to get the full reward, like the hillwen defense event back in the day roughly did, the rewards shouldn't be non-se potions or 5cm non-diamond gems, because at this point we have utter millions of those around every corner...and most importantly, make it possible to play in a group. I'm not just talking about a full group, I mean any group from 2 to 16 people, with balanced difficulty levels. Nobody has 15 friends or guildies on at all times, but you don't wanna force people to always go alone either. That's not social at all.

EDIT: Also, I realize now that I forgot to add this, but I hate event spam the most. It doesn't feel like an event at all when it's the norm. I'd love to say that I'd prefer game updates over events, but it's not like this is impairing the development on KR's side, so that doesn't really count. All I know is that I feel like playing even less when there's so much stuff thrown at me around every corner, when I'd rather take a bit less time to enjoy a single event way more.
    AlmostNotsuper
  • TentacleTentacle
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,070
    Click a button to receive Fine Reforges.
  • GreaGrea
    Mabinogi Rep: 855
    Not sure if it's an ideal event but it felt fair at least. Can't recall the name of the event, but it had to be in a party of at least 3 or so. Mainly your party fights a random dungeon boss, and after the boss is defeated, it spawns in the central of the area with your party protecting it from waves of monsters. The more waves completed, the better the reward.

What I liked about this event was that just about every player could partake in this due to the fact that after the boss was defeated, some "dolls" would spawn that you can use an item to possess them, similar to possessing the Enn's in the Sidhe Finnachaid dungeon. So, you had a choice in using the dolls to defend the boss or not and just use your character instead.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Grea wrote: »
    Not sure if it's an ideal event but it felt fair at least. Can't recall the name of the event, but it had to be in a party of at least 3 or so. Mainly your party fights a random dungeon boss, and after the boss is defeated, it spawns in the central of the area with your party protecting it from waves of monsters. The more waves completed, the better the reward.

What I liked about this event was that just about every player could partake in this due to the fact that after the boss was defeated, some "dolls" would spawn that you can use an item to possess them, similar to possessing the Enn's in the Sidhe Finnachaid dungeon. So, you had a choice in using the dolls to defend the boss or not and just use your character instead.

http://wiki.mabi.world/view/Embattled_Boss_Event_(2012)

This one?
    The thing you described sounds exactly like the shadow mission that the event had.
    Grea
  • EncrovianEncrovian
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,085
    When iria was released and they had the event where u could get chests, that was rly fun. Would be nice with better rewards from the chests and more frequent spawns of the chests.