Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

"NGS has detected a security threat"

CradlesongCradlesong
Mabinogi Rep: 740
edited December 22, 2016 in Technical Support
But why? I don't use mods and don't close the security client. I wonder if it's a program I have? But there's no reason why this happens on one of my computers in specific and not the other. How could I go about fixing this chronic error? I don't even know what's wrong to fix it but it's starting to feel like a program on my computer though to be honest I'm not sure what....

Comments

• KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415
    There are many things that can cause it. Have you listed Mabi as an exception to your anti-virus? Also some other games anti-cheat can cause it (yes ppl do run more than one game at a time). Also having virtual appliances installed (even if not running) will cause it.
    Cradlesong
  • ShoogShoog
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,535
    Cradlesong

But why? I don't use mods and don't close the security client. I wonder if it's a program I have? But there's no reason why this happens on one of my computers in specific and not the other. How could I go about fixing this chronic error? I don't even know what's wrong to fix it but it's starting to feel like a program on my computer though to be honest I'm not sure what....
    Sometimes I just wonder if it does this to us for giggles. D: I haven't had an NGS attack in a few months but the last one I had was just absolute random for no reason.
    Cradlesong
  • CradlesongCradlesong
    Ktty
    Ktty said:

There are many things that can cause it. Have you listed Mabi as an exception to your anti-virus? Also some other games anti-cheat can cause it (yes ppl do run more than one game at a time). Also having virtual appliances installed (even if not running) will cause it.
    To be honest, I'll have to check. Maybe that could be the thing that stops it from bothering me. I had CCleaner ( believe that's what the program was called) but in a bout of frustration deleted it. SO hopefully that was the cause of my distress... however I'm going to try and go through the settings of my other antivirus and computer cleaning software and attempt at snuffing out any possibilities at all. I guess it's a good start to figure out what I can rule out of the picture. I actually haven't ran any other games alongside mabinogi... Not sure if I ever have. That's not to say there aren't other games and game programs on this computer but Mabinogi is the only one that's been recently touched haha. But I'm going to take that with a grain of salt and keep an eye on anything in that ballpark that might be causing me this frustration.... =\ Thank you for your comment! It was actually quite helpful!
    Shoog
    Shoog said:

Cradlesong

Sometimes I just wonder if it does this to us for giggles. D: I haven't had an NGS attack in a few months but the last one I had was just absolute random for no reason.
    It seems a close friend of mine once had this problem as well... and why he has since stopped playing. He found the problem was rooted into having the AVG program, I think is what it was called. (I hope it's obvious now I'm no good at remembering the names of programs LOL). It was some antivirus he used and it was causing the security threat shut-down.... though I have never had AVG on this device, so that can't be my problem..... :T I think they are just messing with our emotions here. LOL It's not really fair when it ejects you during shadow missions or really ANYTHING. I'm not glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem, however I only wish if it was something that's persisted with quite a few other people Nexon would get on figuring out what the issue is. I'm sure they have their reasons but they should at best compile a list of programs (or criteria certain programs meet) that may cause this error and pose a threat to the game client and it's security system.
  • KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415
    edited December 23, 2016
    Also a virus, malware or adware that your security software hasn't/can't yet detect can cause it too (after a definition update it may find and clean it). And like @Shoog said sometimes, once in a while it seems to just do it for giggles (has happened to me).
  • CradlesongCradlesong
    Ktty
    Ktty said:

Also a virus, malware or adware that your security software hasn't/can't yet detect can cause it too (after a definition update it may find and clean it). And like @Shoog said sometimes, once in a while it seems to just do it for giggles (has happened to me).
    Ohhh gosh... It could be adware or malware tbh. Had this computer for 2 years so I shouldn't have too many issues but it's bound to be a pretty big possibility that that may very well be the cause. =\
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    edited December 23, 2016
    @Cradlesong That almost sounds like you haven't checked your computer within that time frame to see if it has been infected. Just download malwarebytes (free download) and run it, see if it catches anything.
  • NikomisNikomis
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,175
    It's so worth a look into what other things you have in the background. Discord, art software, some recording softwares, and some types of image viewer *sometimes* triggers it. It's best to run mabi on bare minimum most times. I've had friends get booted off because of literally anything. It's a bit fussy though and will boot you because it is having a bad day, like the others said.
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    It's random also. There is literally no reason sometime. My windows 7 laptop ran Mabi perfectly fine. No mods, no nothing just Mabi.Worked perfectly fine for 5 years and then suddenly one day just started getting NGS out of the blue.
  • STARSHAK3RSTARSHAK3R
    Mabinogi Rep: 100
    this junk is annoying..

happened to me 5 times in 30min.
    nothing running, yes I'm admin, no adware/malware as I keep my PC cleaned up. and I always disable antivirus software before playing games that can utilize more than 1gb of RAM.

honestly, if cheating is so rampant that they have to make such a hair trigger anticheat, maybe everyone should reevaluate their decision to patronize this company..

or maybe they should actually do something about the cheaters and ease back on the nanny software?