Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the May Quality of Life Updates! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91455/may-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-may-9th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabinogi on Steam.

FlariaStarFlariaStar
Mabinogi Rep: 650
edited July 28, 2017 in Feedback and Suggestions
Ok, we all know that since G15 or so Mabinogi removed the US limitation.

Nexon SURE COULD remove said limitation on the Steam too so people out of US can download it too...

IGN: Flariastar
Server: Ruairi
NegumikoIchitou[Deleted User]Sherrikapapa

Comments

• NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    I understand your proposal (and it seems reasonable).. but .. is there any reason why these people (I assume this includes yourself) cannot download & play the game without Steam? I don't understand why Steam is suddenly a requirement (we don't need it to download or play).

As you implied; this version covers North America, Europe, and Oceania.

cause steam is simply a better option for some players. I have tried both launchers and the nexon launcher is full of bugs and little things that makes it take 20 minutes to a hour longer just to login. the steam launcher has never given me any major problems like that and in the 3 years I have been using it I have not had to reinstall mabi even once. nexon launcher likes to download updates randomly even when your playing mabi causing really bad lag the steam launcher will never do that while you are in game. plus there are no annoying ads for other games and crap you don't want, you can just go straight to your game library on steam and play mabi right away.

so yes I think other players should at least have the choice of picking one of the two launchers instead of being stuck with one launcher option that sometimes has serious bugs.
  • IchitouIchitou
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    I agree and fully support this. Steam is a much better option to play the game.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Persoanlly I don't use Steam for Mabinogi.

I heard there's even some weird thign with NX purchases using Steam.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    edited July 29, 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    I don't see any reason why Mabinogi should not be available to the same userbase on Steam as it is off of Steam (the topic of the thread), but in defense of the Nexon Launcher, it doesn't do anything differently than Steam does. For example; When you first load Steam; you're presented with a "Pop-up Ad" and unless you turn it off when downloading (or in the Settings); All games on Steam are "Auto-Updated", which can be a real drag if you have slow internet; especially if everything in your library decides to update at the same time. --- The only thing Steam does differently (aside from its array of features non-relevant to Mabinogi) is install the correct version of Visual C++ libraries while the launcher may fail to do so; and this isn't a common issue if the user's machine is configured properly to start with.

every game needs to update once in a while, the difference is steam has a setting that so you can turn off any updates while you are in game. nexon launcher just starts updating even if your in mabi which can cause massive lag. you can't turn that off in nexon launcher so at least steam gives you the choice so you don't lag at the most important time, while you are in the game. any updates steam does decide to do while your not playing a game can easily be paused so you can game and finish the update later. steam launcher is also much faster most of the time. it can take up to 5 minutes to login using nexon launcher and even longer if it gets the very common error where it still thinks your in mabi from the last time you played and you have close the launcher and restart it. I can get into mabi in about 3 minutes on steam almost every time. and your last fact is only proving steam does a better job. nexon launcher can even fail to install Visual C++ sometimes. that sounds like a big issue if nexon launcher can't install a game properly even if it is a rare error.
    TNinja wrote: »
    Persoanlly I don't use Steam for Mabinogi.

I heard there's even some weird thign with NX purchases using Steam.

purchases using the in game cash shop while playing through steam? I use the cash shop outside of game on the main website and have never had any issues buying any NX items.
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    steam has region problems that is always a common problem for anyone outside the US. The most common is games in US not allowed to be played outside of US because the developers of those games do not know how to upload it on that region. Every region has laws which means you can't just willy nilly upload to everyone, Russia can't play US version because Nexon think it's in Asia (which is not). We can't play Korean version because we'll abuse it (come on admit it, you will.), etc.