Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Old Mabi: Mana Evaporation

GspinGspin
Mabinogi Rep: 1,220
in General Chat
I'm learning Synthesis and came across mana evaporation stones. I completely forgot about mana evaporation, and it didn't last long after I joined. It kinda turned me off from magic, but that's just because I was never committed to it. Should we bring it back? Was it such a bad feature? What are your thoughts?

I feel like these mana preservation stones would be a really interesting supply to have back in the ingame economy. Kinda pointless as it's very easy to make potions.

I'm just feeling abit of remorse over this as it seems like an item with history that is kinda decaying away. The stack is still only 10 too!

I'm also thinking about how escalated everything has been lately. Moon Gates allow you to tele at any time. No need for hunger with all of these transformations.

Comments

• KokoroKokoro
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,155
    I wouldn't really enjoy mana evaporation coming back because it really discourages having magic used in a hybrid combat style.

I like how Mabinogi allows you to mix and match whatever combat style you like rather than limiting you to one class. Having all of your mana suddenly disappear just because you want to use your bow or something wouldn't be very fun.
    GspinDanievictriaIyasenu[Deleted User]NilremTheNyanCatCrimsọnSherriMey
  • RaishiiRaishii
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,245
    I definitely don't miss it, and I'm glad all those old mechanics have been removed/made obsolete.
    NilremGoldtiger01
  • GspinGspin
    Kokoro wrote: »
    I wouldn't really enjoy mana evaporation coming back because it really discourages having magic used in a hybrid combat style.

I like how Mabinogi allows you to mix and match whatever combat style you like rather than limiting you to one class. Having all of your mana suddenly disappear just because you want to use your bow or something wouldn't be very fun.

Oh that's right! It just completey vanished without a wand right? Yeah that was aweful. I mean, I wouldn't mind just a mild evaporation during daylight, Because Eweca provides the mana plentifuly at night, and you can always meditate during the day. And with the Inspiration skill available now, it might balance the game rather well. I guess I'm just longing for more of a challenge thruout the mabinogi experience.

Yeah, It is great you can mix and match...and then there are people who are 'everything' XD
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Yes, it was a bad feature.
    No, it should not come back.

That's my opinion.

I did not enjoy mana evaporation.
    I dealt with it, but hated it.

Just like I dealt with the horrible moon gate schedule and the gates and tunnels being closed half the time.

I get nostalgic about the Old Mabi™ sometimes as well, but quality of life increased with those changes, and I ain't about to hope it goes back down.

I have Mana Preservation Stones in my bank and, every time I see them, they remind me how glad I am that evaporation is dead and gone.
    Along with many other older mechanics, like bags and half your bank being locked behind Inventory Plus Service, rebirths being either paid or only at age 20, storyline being only available to subscribers of some sort of service, etc etc.
    pawcalypseKokoro[Deleted User]NilremSirRyuSherriMey
  • pawcalypsepawcalypse
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,705
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    Yes, it was a bad feature.
    No, it should not come back.

That's my opinion.

I did not enjoy mana evaporation.
    I dealt with it, but hated it.

Just like I dealt with the horrible moon gate schedule and the gates and tunnels being closed half the time.

I get nostalgic about the Old Mabi™ sometimes as well, but quality of life increased with those changes, and I ain't about to hope it goes back down.

I have Mana Preservation Stones in my bank and, every time I see them, they remind me how glad I am that evaporation is dead and gone.
    Along with many other older mechanics, like bags and half your bank being locked behind Inventory Plus Service, rebirths being either paid or only at age 20, storyline being only available to subscribers of some sort of service, etc etc.

I miss those handicaps, it really made me want to survive and test the limits of my character(s). I relish the days when there was hardly any lag but the game was a challenge that made me more determined. Now the only handicap is lag and some cooldowns for some skills and continent warp.
    [Deleted User]
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    Back in the day when you could buy ancient powders lol
    [Deleted User]pawcalypse
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    One of my favourite things to hate about Old Mabi!

10% HP decrease per Windmill was the other one.
    Gspinpawcalypse[Deleted User]Edetha
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    don't forget how slow combat used to be, ever since the day skills load under a second....i never have any need to just fight 1v1 every time, i can just attack as many as i want without having to wait 4~5 seconds to load smash, def and counter or even wait 2 seconds to load windmill.

That very update changed my experience with mabinogi combat forever, if it ever returned to where it was, i am very sure this will speak the last straw for its current players, including me lol
    Gspinpawcalypse[Deleted User]
  • YianKutKuYianKutKu
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,700
    I will never stop lamenting over the loss of the the Split Inventory button that happened around the time they introduced the Falias artefacts.

I hate that I have to have my equipment slots in view when I just want to have my inventory open. It takes up so much unnecessary space when I'm synthing or w/e. Why did they ever think removing that button was a good idea? T ~T
    Gspinpawcalypse[Deleted User]
  • JoeyDee9JoeyDee9
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,065
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited August 16, 2017
    When it first came out I thought it was a little too good. Adv magic (at the time it wasn't int) was honestly overpowered compared to just about everything else. It also gave alchemist a reason to make mana evap stones and sell them. With how powerful magic was, and how slow paced the game still was I never thought it was a BAD system.

As for bringing it back no, hell no. The game has changed so drastically it just doesn't even fit in with the gameplay styles of today. The more fast paced, always weapon switching, blasting things with ridiculously powerful AOE moves. It's a relic of the past that should stay in the past unless the entire game wants to rewrite itself into being the methodological slow paced game of yonder yore.
    [Deleted User]
  • TtheHeroTtheHero
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,410
    Bring back Mana Evaporation? Haha--NO.

But to be honest, what I want to see are older things re-purposed for different things nowadays. 'Member Royal Jelly? Or Fresh Honey, perhaps? How is it that something like these cannot bee used to cook? Or what about Cuilin Stones and Mystic Pearls, fished from from Abb Neagh? That quarry's collecting dust, except when one wants to train Mining.

While some things from Old Mabi were bad and should not be missed, some things could still have a purpose. Especially if it's all too possible to acquire them still.
    Kokoro[Deleted User]
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Hardmuscle wrote: »

Oh neve rknew that. Europeans got from G3 to G12 straight away so we never got to experience it.
    [Deleted User]
  • GspinGspin
    Eralea wrote: »
    One of my favourite things to hate about Old Mabi!

10% HP decrease per Windmill was the other one.

Oh My I FORGOT about that. That was horrible! Why did that happen? Were our characters dislocating their legs/arms by spinning so vigorously? XD
  • GspinGspin
    JoeyDee9 wrote: »
    When it first came out I thought it was a little too good. Adv magic (at the time it wasn't int) was honestly overpowered compared to just about everything else. It also gave alchemist a reason to make mana evap stones and sell them. With how powerful magic was, and how slow paced the game still was I never thought it was a BAD system.

As for bringing it back no, hell no. The game has changed so drastically it just doesn't even fit in with the gameplay styles of today. The more fast paced, always weapon switching, blasting things with ridiculously powerful AOE moves. It's a relic of the past that should stay in the past unless the entire game wants to rewrite itself into being the methodological slow paced game of yonder yore.

I think you most of all have described what I may be missing, and lamenting. I don't like the aoe spamming.
  • GspinGspin
    TtheHero wrote: »
    Bring back Mana Evaporation? Haha--NO.

But to be honest, what I want to see are older things re-purposed for different things nowadays. 'Member Royal Jelly? Or Fresh Honey, perhaps? How is it that something like these cannot bee used to cook? Or what about Cuilin Stones and Mystic Pearls, fished from from Abb Neagh? That quarry's collecting dust, except when one wants to train Mining.

While some things from Old Mabi were bad and should not be missed, some things could still have a purpose. Especially if it's all too possible to acquire them still.

Sounds great! Guys...mabi players. Please don't get triggered. This is not in the suggestions post, I just wanted to take a moment to memorialize how much the game has changed. And I think that sounds great TitheHero! That's what I'm looking for. As I said I found these mana eveap stones, but they're kinda lame, if they are even still possible to Synth. And the stack limit still says 10 on Wiki. I think it'd be so cool to see more supply items, more utility so to speak. I nkow for one if there were a kind of stone for mages an Alchemist could supply I would be doing that. It would inspire me to go out and gather the materials and provide a market for it. I already love to provide potions and Holy Water.

Instead of making these stones just another potion knock off, they 'attune' the player to mana recover effects boosting them by a small amount. 300% mp regen from meditation? (300 * 0.15 = 345% mp Regen).
  • GspinGspin
    Hardmuscle, I know you well enough that you enjoy 'your' thoughts a lot more than you do others. So I won't say nuttin'. Do you write fan-fic? Write me some mabi fanfic. I need a backstory. I'll look for a sponsor.
  • GspinGspin
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Gspin wrote: »
    Hardmuscle, I know you well enough that you enjoy 'your' thoughts a lot more than you do others. So I won't say nuttin'. Do you write fan-fic? Write me some mabi fanfic. I need a backstory. I'll look for a sponsor.
    Apparently not well enough if you believe that's true. ~ I sense a bit of a charlatan in this discussion (pretending to know me now).

No no no you're doing it wrong. You're not meant to 'respond' to me. That would be considering I am anything but what you could expect. What you are supposed to do is construct a dialogue about me presuming my motives and reasoning all without ever actually consulting me and then base your response of the fabrica-well gathered information.