Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Change the %Chance for Special upgrades

CscrimsonCscrimson
Mabinogi Rep: 670
edited August 24, 2017 in Feedback and Suggestions
This system really needs to have the percentiles adjusted. I have used over 290 stones on my Frosted borealis hammers and they still aren't even step 5. The percentiles should follow a pattern similar to the following. 100%/80%/70%/60%/50%/45%. There is no reason to make it go from 100% Immediately down to 50%.
  1. Should the percents on Special upgrades be changed?20 votes
    1. Yes
       70% (14 votes)
    2. no (If so post why in comments)
       30% (6 votes)

Comments

• TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    Special upgrading is part of the gold sink, while you may have had a string of bad luck there are people go can get to step 6 with 6 stones. Raising the rate will just leave us flooded with stones and deflating their value greatly. The rates are frustrating to say the least, if I were to change anything I would give a chance for the weapon not to downgrade when failing.

Also keep in mind that the rates are basically a coin flip so statistically speaking if you were to use thousands and thousands of stones you should eventually just end up at step 0 even if steps four and five were 50%.
  • CscrimsonCscrimson
    Mabinogi Rep: 670
    edited August 24, 2017
    TheNyanCat wrote: »
    Special upgrading is part of the gold sink, while you may have had a string of bad luck there are people go can get to step 6 with 6 stones. Raising the rate will just leave us flooded with stones and deflating their value greatly. The rates are frustrating to say the least, if I were to change anything I would give a chance for the weapon not to downgrade when failing.

Also keep in mind that the rates are basically a coin flip so statistically speaking if you were to use thousands and thousands of stones you should eventually just end up at step 0 even if steps four and five were 50%.

you can use lucky and protection stones on step 5-6 so no you would have an actual viable chance to getting there. Also gold sink is an understatement. 11 mil is Approx what i spent on my hammers and they still aren't even step 3. Not to mention the gold i spent buying 30-40% of the stones i used i would say an easy 14-15 mil. I think you are right in the fact that they should change it so the weapons don't down grade higher than level 3.
  • lceCreamlceCream
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,205
    No. They give out free lucky stones and prot stones like candy
  • LidrsterLidrster
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,830
    edited August 25, 2017
    Some time ago, I wrote a small program that simulate special upgrading.
    I used it to calculate the number of stone needed for a successful step 6.

After 100.000 simulations, I got these results :
    - Least stone used : 6 (a perfect run, happened 2200 times, so a 2.2% chance overall)
    - Most stone used : 274 (and a grand total of about 10m gold used...)
    - The average number of stone used, independently of the result, is 31 (with about 1.1m gold used in the process)

Now, step 6 has a 55% chance of failure... taking that into account, the average for a success is :
    - 69 stones
    - 2.4m gold (not including stone price ofc)

I'd say this is not too bad, considering how easy it is to get stones and money these days.
  • BlortadBlortad
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,490
    When it starts downgrading upon failure with EVERY failure right away the instant you attempt above step 1, dropping to 50% after the first upgrade being 100%, then going down from there is absolute insanity. Heres a great idea for gold sink that doesnt arbitrarily empty your enormous savings due to bad luck by costing you 30mil in stones to get 1 of 2 new CRKs to step 5, add potions that arent complete garbage to npc shops and stop vomiting unbeatably potent potions all over the place by the truckload for free with every single event that releases. The economy was much healthier when damage and prolonged combat was what took your money instead of repairs and upgrades.
  • lceCreamlceCream
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,205
    There's an event right now with FREE protection stones AGAIN...