Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the May Quality of Life Updates! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91455/may-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-may-9th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

MusicQ is a good fix.

ImaizumiImaizumi
Mabinogi Rep: 4,225
edited December 21, 2016 in General Chat
Title in point. I'll explain.

There are about three or four big reasons for this. We didn't get any OP new skills. The content is more easily accessible to almost every player on the total level spectrum. We are provided incentives to participate in the system in an artificial way, and then are kept coming back through non-artificial ways.

Not having any new OP skills means we don't get content that ages poorly while being obviously broken when it comes out. Some examples I can think of are puppetry and especially fighter. Skill sets that were broken for their time, but grew weaker due to power creep. Which is the other good thing, the update didn't add power creep. Anyway the content will age well which is obviously a good thing.

The content being accessible to basically everyone also reinforces this idea. We have a virtual keyboard to press buttons on which although I'm doubtful is that useful for composing, it does streamline and make the concept more friendly to people unfamiliar to it. The new bulletin board streamlines playing other people's "original" pieces. The freestyle jam is surprisingly easy to get into and enjoy.

Now if you'e been playing Mabinogi for a while, you'll know that it's been creating artificial incentives for quite a while. Some notorious examples are the dailies and events. Events often creating a sense of "if I miss this, I'm playing the game in a less efficient manner!" and a similar feeling in the dailies. "Since I can only do it once a day, every day I miss is lost value/efficiency!" These can eventually mount into a sort of chore for some players depending on how much they enjoy doing either.

MusicQ recycled this daily concept in the renown system, but I believe this is mostly good system because the end result will probably have you coming back because it's genuinely fun, not because of lost efficiency. But to obtain renown, you do repetitive tasks once a day. What's the difference you might ask? The difference begins with Brianna's renown training itself essentially. As long as you run some sort of combat instance based group content (e.g SMs, dungeons) you'll run into people sharing buffs unto you.

Then there's the big one which is Yvona's. This one is trainable just by participating in freestyle jams. Participating in one might be a pain for some people, but you still have the option of just playing alone in your homestead if you'd really like. I for one rejoice that we're first given incentive to do freestyle jam to earn valuable renown, then get sucked in by the make shift communities that are freestyle jams. People love their music and when you play a good song, people react. It is revitalization of more group based activity as opposed to solo game play. Sure it was around before, but to give people a reward for hanging out and make it easy to do so? It's almost like it's a game instead of a job!

Finally the last one is Nele's which is arguably the hardest to train, but I think it's fair. It feel like it's meant to be a bit more challenging to do compared to the others. Composing a MML even if it's "inspired" and sharing it on the bulletin board and gradually getting up voted for exp is another community centered concept. Which by the way to level up all of the renown you're either encouraged or forced to interact with people. Often times I hear the biggest reason people haven't quit the game or the most fond memories they have of it, are the people, and this is doing just that, creating the memories people need to love the game.

tl;dr good update pls update dungeons commerce in a similar fashion. do u think is good update?
SylviaWolfe
  1. Do you generally like MusicQ?60 votes
    1. Yes
       88% (53 votes)
    2. No
       12% (7 votes)

Comments

• BerryswirlBerryswirl
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,140
    I completely agree with you, Music Q is a fantastic update, and though renowns are repetitive and you can only lv them 2000exp a day, the reward for lving them is worth the effort. Freestyle is so much fun and a great way to get players into music again, especially with all the effects it gives from playing in different areas.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    The hell? Someone just voted in poll "No". Why? Can't find anything bad about this update, it's amazing.
    Helsa
  • BerryswirlBerryswirl
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,140
    Music haters

@Greta
    GretaSherriRerisu
  • PhormPhorm
    Mabinogi Rep: 650
    It's pretty gosh darn neato.
    SylviaWolfe
  • KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415
    Phorm
    Phorm said:

It's pretty gosh darn neato.
    By golly gee wiz I agree!!
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,715
    People are dummies to vote no.. or trolls. Either way, forget them. The majority says yes. :)
    Also, I love the Freestyle jam. It gets me more into the music I am playing.
    That's probably why games like.. sheesh, I don't know any.. Dance Dance Revolution..?
    You know, those games with arrow keys and such.
    (Terrible example, I'm sorry.)
    Like in Club Penguin, the Dance Contest minigame.
    And before anybody says anything, that was my childhood, so shush. :c
    Greta
  • lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    Only real complain I got is the mats drop rate for the instruments. I've ran the damn dungeon 30+ times, and still have yet to see some of the mats, and am still not really near making even one instrument.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Well, the music did bring in some good music in Dunbarton for once.
    lidiya
    Lidiya said:

Only real complain I got is the mats drop rate for the instruments. I've ran the damn dungeon 30+ times, and still have yet to see some of the mats, and am still not really near making even one instrument.
    Meanwhile I got three materials in a row at the start of the day.
  • ZerukanZerukan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,280
    I think this is the best update they've done in 2016. I absolutely love Freestyle Jam and it's so much fun with more people joining in. I've already made a couple new friends because of it.
    I found the Doki Doki dance game repetitive very quickly, but I'm having trouble finding freestyle repetitive. Good Job, Nexon. (For once not sarcastic!)
  • RerisuRerisu
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,410
    Music Q was the reason why I began leveling my Playing Instrument skill to R1. lol

The music playing skill has always been one of the reasons why I keep coming back to Mabi.
  • RakRak
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,245
    It is a great update. I've also had people complain about the lag caused by so many new/returning players, so I assume it is bringing new players to the game.
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    I neither like nor dislike Music Q. It is good that it attracts more players to play and the surge in population is nice to see but the dungeon is repetitive (also feels really slow) and I couldn't care less about the renown system (which is also repetitive). But then again, what isn't repetitive in this game lol
  • GretaGreta
    edited January 13, 2017
    You know what really feels slow? Rabbie Phantasm or any other Hardmode dungeon. Literally every dungeon on this game is too repetitive... Renown is actually easy, especially Briana and Yvona ones, you only need to spam music buffs and Freestyle Jam. Even Nele is easy if you ask your friend to play your score till you reach daily max exp.
    Helsa
  • SelzyrSelzyr
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,055
    Where's the "I don't really care" option?
  • megamanexe79megamanexe79
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,115
    Zerukan
    Zerukan said:

I found the Doki Doki dance game repetitive very quickly, but I'm having trouble finding freestyle repetitive.
    It's definitely because we get to choose our own songs with it, as opposed to being stuck doing one of the doki doki pre-set songs.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    But we are going to get a new skill soon. It's called battle dance or something like that.
  • dra011dra011
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,010
    To be honest the only problem i have with the music update is what yvona's renown gives critical hits have always been a very powerful thing in game and making them more powerful really wasn't needed in my opinion.
  • CapnReconCapnRecon
    I'm going to be a stick in the mud, freestyle jam just gave me more reasons to turn off instrument volume. At least on the channel and times I play at, more people are using it for it's flashy effects mixed with the worst instruments they can dig up. My only hope for the update really was an update to the sound clips they use for some instruments. Didn't see that enter the game, so I just continued playing with instruments off. I see no point in going for the new instruments either because the normal variants of them sound exactly the same.

I can't say anything about the renown system, as I just discovered it existed last night. What I miss though is the old composing interface. As I simply used 3MLE back when I used to compose songs, it proved to be a rather useless addition. I still need to try doing the music dungeon, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Materials are probably the same needlessly high rarity that materials like ruptured black metal have.

At the end of the day, it's simply an update I could take or leave. It doesn't really pertain to how I like to play the game, but as it doesn't affect me besides the freestyle jam being annoying, I barely notice it's existence. I just use music for the occasional buff, and to that end Master Bard and R1 Song fit my needs just fine.

TL;DR I play this game like a filthy casual.
    Imaizumi
  • GretaGreta
    Salty guy right there ^^^
    Helsa
  • CapnReconCapnRecon
    Greta
    Greta said:

Salty guy right there ^^^
    You know it fam jam. :^)