Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Ranged Skills

iMattxCiMattxC
Mabinogi Rep: 1,075
in General Chat
I'm just curious if there are any other ranged skills except for archery that miss. I honestly can't think of any. There's magic, alchemy, dual guns, ninja, but I know none of those miss. Any insight?
pawcalypse

Comments

• OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    nope just archery cause its the strongest
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Other than some skills that have a delay on hitting that allows enemies to move out of their range of effect. (Fireball, Meteor Strike, Kunai Storm, Rising Action, etc)

Throwing Attack technically falls under Close Combat, but that's still a ranged skill that can miss. (90~99% accuracy base on rank)

Other cases are just luck-based evasion (basic gun or shuriken attack)

Think Archery (and throwing attack) are the only attacks that have an aiming % meter.
  • pawcalypsepawcalypse
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,705
    edited October 16, 2017
    Fireball can miss, especially if the target moves out of the blast radius (where you intended to cast the Fireball). Some ninja skills can aim at your intended target but if the target moves at the slightest distance away it can miss (this applies to some puppetry, alchemy and dual guns skills too); it has a limit to its range even if the target is in range of the attack. Most wide range skills, like music and the like always miss when the target is out of range - of course.
    These skills work just like how Fireball's handicap but they do not usually miss since they hit the target faster and some monster/NPC AI do not have them move all the time or they get eliminated before anything happens.
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    People who keep in mind that the other types of ranged skills "miss" in different ways are better party players in general.

Don't push mobs out of flame burst range, don't windmill just as the fireball lands, don't knock down mobs just before the thunder strikes. Both the enemies and your party will be very mad at you.

(I've done all three before lul)
    pawcalypse
  • iMattxCiMattxC
    Opalthira wrote: »

Unless you consider latency.
    pawcalypseVeylaineEramyst
  • LeiliciaLeilicia
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,220
    Lightning rod can miss. If you're too close to your target and you clearly aim at him, it'll go through him without hitting him. You can also be too far, and you can also be aiming at your target but the lrod goes opposite.
    Eramyst
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    Leilicia wrote: »
    Lightning rod can miss. If you're too close to your target and you clearly aim at him, it'll go through him without hitting him. You can also be too far, and you can also be aiming at your target but the lrod goes opposite.

My problem with lightning rod is if an enemy is "selected", lightning rod will often go in the complete wrong direction if I'm not careful. Still no idea if that's intentional or not.
  • LeiliciaLeilicia
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,220
    I don't think its intentional, at least I hope not.
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    iMattxC wrote: »

This is untrue. If your damage is high enough, even an elf player with 200ms ping can out damage any other class.
  • RedXIIIRedXIII
    Mabinogi Rep: 800
    edited October 23, 2017

The science behind this
  • iMattxCiMattxC
    RedXIII wrote: »

The science behind this

Thanks for the contribution, I've known about mods that fix some issues caused by archery, I just think it's a shame the only solution is to modify your client.
  • meleseanmelesean
    Mabinogi Rep: 600
    In fact, I see all ranged skills missing everyday... whenever I use my Act 6 :/
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    Eralea wrote: »
    People who keep in mind that the other types of ranged skills "miss" in different ways are better party players in general.

Don't push mobs out of flame burst range, don't windmill just as the fireball lands, don't knock down mobs just before the thunder strikes. Both the enemies and your party will be very mad at you.

(I've done all three before lul)
    Can go the other way around. Don't use thunder when teaming up with a player who's using bash unless you're certain you can OHKO with the thunder. Happened to me in TDB elite and I got smacked back in the face coz knockdown.. Ended up I just let the other guy get smacked back by not attacking the monster he thundered until after the mobs came running back to him. Magic and melee users don't go well together. Don't even get me started on ice spear.
    RedXIII