Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Better bug reporting

BlortadBlortad
Mabinogi Rep: 2,490
edited January 15, 2017 in Feedback and Suggestions
I attempted to submit a bug report, making sure to read through the guidelines first, since the only way to do that now is via forum, and decided not to because the bug I was about to report is impossible to report under the given guidelines, and breaking those guidelines means the post will be ignored completely. The bug I was about to report was one preventing me from clicking on an item to pick it up. The guidelines state that you must include visual evidence of the bug for the report not to be ignored. The problem with this is, of course, that something NOT happening isn't something that you can simply take a screenshot of. Even with a video, there are no visual indicators at all that you have clicked on an item in your inventory besides the item being picked up, so if that isn't happening there's no visual indicators to show that I'm even clicking in the first place, let alone that my statement about items not being picked up is true, thus, visual evidence of this bug is an impossibility. At best I could submit a screenshot or video of my inventory, but since there would be no bug visually occurring in said screenshot or video, that would not count as visual evidence of a bug, meaning the post would be ignored for lacking visual evidence. On top of that, refusing to accept uploads from any site other then YouTube is unacceptable. Some people actually use their YouTube channels to upload videos for an audience, so uploading a random video of a bug in Mabinogi, which would then be sent to all their subscribers, is not an option for them. This means a portion of your players are incapable of submitting video at all under your current guidelines. There needs to be a system in place so that the team responsible for addressing bugs is able to receive reports of bugs that are the kind that cannot be demonstrated via screenshot or video. A possible solution could be to have a GM meet with the player in game in cases where the bug cannot be visually represented so that the bug can be demonstrated in person, but even that would not have covered my specific situation with the inventory bug. There is a point where a bug reported without visual evidence should be investigated anyways, such as if other players reply to the post about that bug confirming that they were also effected. Another example happened before with a bug that I attempted to report without thoroughly reading the guidelines with one of the missions in the samhain event where clicking on the objects in the mission would do nothing, forcing you to have to start over. This is another bug that cannot be visually represented, as you cannot take a video or a screenshot of something not happening. You can, but what you get, in this case, is just a screenshot of the boat or hallway area from da capo on board, which isn't evidence of anything besides that you participated in the event. We need a better method to report bugs that doesn't inherently ignore some bugs just because their not something that can be seen in a video or screenshot. Before, we could submit bugs in a ticket and would receive a response asking for any applicable information or evidence. This system was MUCH better, since in cases where visual evidence is impossible, they could ask for other information to help verify the bug and wouldn't simply ignore it altogether just because it lacked an included screenshot. Returning the bug reporting method to the support ticket system would allow for bugs of all varieties to be fixed, rather then just bugs that produce visual evidence.

EDIT: forgot IGN

Blortad of Ruairi

Comments

• BerryswirlBerryswirl
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,140
    Jeez that wall of text.

Anywayyyy........

For YouTube, you can make your video "unlisted", this makes it so no one knows you uploaded the video, and only people you give the link to can watch it.

As for reports being ignored unless they have visual evidence, this is false.
    There was a bug in Festia where you would sit at the landmark and not get buffs or exp, as you were suppose to. I myself reported it with no visual evidence, and it was fixed. Other players stated it on the forums and the GMs said they knew about the issue and were fixing it. It doesn't hurt you to report something without evidence, be very detailed in your report.
  • ShoogShoog
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,535
    The rules for B&G state that evidence [must] be provided. Although a report can still be made, it will still be incomplete and you will most likely still be asked to provide the information needed. Even if you can not provide the visual evidence, another player might be able to provide it instead. Also, I've seen many players use free programs to record evidence videos instead of using the in game video recorder. I'm not sure which programs they used though, but certain ones will show the mouse cursor or other visual elements that the in game recorder does not show. So there is that option. And as BerrySwirl said, you can make a video unlisted so your youtube audience can not see them unless they have the link to the video. This is what I've always done with videos when making past Bug reports.
  • KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415
    As long as your PC can handle having a 3rd party program to do the screen video capture while playing Mabi, many of them have an option that 'shows' when a cursor is clicked. Using that option would show that you are indeed clicking on an item and it not being picked up.
This discussion has been closed.