Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Weekly Loc Discussion: Erinn Holiday Event

KatherzKatherz
Mabinogi Rep: 21,640
edited June 6, 2018 in Weekly Loc Discussion Archive
Has anyone been playing the Erinn Holiday event? What could it POSSIBLY be a reference to?? What other pop culture references have you spotted in Mabinogi?

As for the Belfast versus Belvast topic from last week, thank you so much for your input! We appreciate all of your votes and comments. We will keep it the way it is for now, because more people voted for that, but we certainly loved hearing all your thoughts on ol' Belvy!

- The Mabinogi Localization Team
Sherri

Comments

• EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    -waits patiently for someone else to clue me in as to what Annie's dialogue is a reference to-
    KatherzJazmynKattheAzureDragon
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    edited May 30, 2018
    Eralea wrote: »
    -waits patiently for someone else to clue me in as to what Annie's dialogue is a reference to-

@Katherz @Eralea I'm going to hazard a guess that it's the movie Roman Holiday. The crown princess of the movie who is frustrated with her duties and escapes her country's embassy is also named Ann. She also gets to explore Rome with reporter Joe Bradley. =D
    JazmynMisanariaSphyra21EraleaKatherz
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    You nearly changed Belvast's name?!
    *heartattack*
    pls no Belvy is perfect the way it is
  • Sphyra21Sphyra21
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,555
    Leinei wrote: »
    Eralea wrote: »

@Katherz @Eralea I'm going to hazard a guess that it's the movie Roman Holiday. The crown princess of the movie who is frustrated with her duties and escapes her country's embassy is also named Ann. She also gets to explore Rome with reporter Joe Bradley. =D

Yeeeeeaaaaah, I would have nvr guessed that in a million years. Nvr heard of that movie either, then again i'm not rlly a movie person. I simply rewatch animes and crime dramas a billion times XDDD
  • LeineiLeinei
    It's an old black and white film starring Audrey Hepburn. However, the name Erinn Holday, coupled with the NPC named Annie to parallel the title Roman Holiday and one of the main characters Ann makes sense.
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Leinei wrote: »
    It's an old black and white film starring Audrey Hepburn. However, the name Erinn Holday, coupled with the NPC named Annie to parallel the title Roman Holiday and one of the main characters Ann makes sense.

Glad I wasn’t the only one who caught that! It’s rare, but Mabi does have old film references in it, like Romeo and Juliet being based visually off of the 1968 film.
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Hmmm that seems the most likely lol. I rarely watch tv and films even now, so something from the 50s is a bit beyond me.

On the topic of pop culture, I'm helping a friend with g10 right now and a vague memory just popped up. Someone in the old forums (not the ones before this, the very first ones) said that the mini plotline with Arenen, Voight and Ilsa ended with Arenen quoting the lyrics of a popular Korean pop song, but this was lost in translation in the English version. Does anyone remember anything about this?
  • KattheAzureDragonKattheAzureDragon
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,190
    I would have never gotten that film reference as I didn't watch too many of the classic movies. Also the difference between Belfast and Belvast did bother me at first, but like ~~subtle brainwashing~~ I have come to adopt that name as the proper one.

(Ireland should change it to Belvast and be enlightened)
  • XypixXypix
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,890
    can we please fix all the poorly translated titles that don't even have "the" in them? pls.
    Jazmyn
  • CrittenzCrittenz
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,220
    I log in everyday so might as well sign up for free stuff. While I'm delighted to have gotten what is essentially another cloud I'm distressed it's a balloon animal. I pretty much only watch anime so I never would of gotten the reference. I wonder what other references I'm missing.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Crittenz wrote: »
    I log in everyday so might as well sign up for free stuff. While I'm delighted to have gotten what is essentially another cloud I'm distressed it's a balloon animal. I pretty much only watch anime so I never would of gotten the reference. I wonder what other references I'm missing.

I actually first heard about Roman Holiday from the anime .hack//SIGN. It was part of an event riddle where Tsukasa puts their hand into the whole and pulls their sleeve out, acting like they're hand was cut off, playing a prank on his party members. If I remember right, Bear was the one who identified the riddle's reference as Roman Holiday before Tsukasa remarks that their mother liked the movie.
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited June 4, 2018
    People caught this one, but I caught a reference with another movie and an event. the Couple Breaker event had an NPC named Hanson who fell in love with Joanna and wants to marry her after a very short amount of time. These character are supposed to represent Hans and Anna from the movie Frozen and their similar quick and not well thought out proposal for marriage. There's even another character named Christopher or something if I recall (who represents Kristoff) You get the choice to break up the couple for nice rewards, or to keep the couple together.... for not so great rewards

I miss that event XD I was hoping they'd do it again this year because it had a nice title and cute balloons. It's also been a couple years since we got it

it kinda makes me wonder if Luke and Heidi are based off anything
  • LeineiLeinei
    Arjune wrote: »
    People caught this one, but I caught a reference with another movie and an event. the Couple Breaker event had an NPC named Hanson who fell in love with Joanna and wants to marry her after a very short amount of time. These character are supposed to represent Hans and Anna from the movie Frozen and their similar quick and not well thought out proposal for marriage. There's even another character named Christopher or something if I recall (who represents Kristoff) You get the choice to break up the couple for nice rewards, or to keep the couple together.... for not so great rewards

I miss that event XD I was hoping they'd do it again this year because it had a nice title and cute balloons. It's also been a couple years since we got it

it kinda makes me wonder if Luke and Heidi are based off anything

I remember that Frozen one. I think the original original event with Luke and Yela (Leia mashed around) was a Star Wars reference.