Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the May Quality of Life Updates! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91455/may-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-may-9th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Archery skills usable with all ranged weapons

ChoCho
Mabinogi Rep: 2,220
in Feedback and Suggestions
Melee, Ranged, and Magic are the 3 fundamental damage types in this game. Close combat skills work with tons of weapons like knuckles, lances, chainblades, dual guns, shurikens, etc. Magic bolts can be used with anything as well as healing, the magic shields, and mana shield. Archery is a lonely skillset that can only be used with bows and crossbows.

I think that there should be a skill called [Aiming] and at Rank 1 it should add 10% damage to ranged attacks (20% for Elves) when equipped with ammo (javelins, arrows, bullets), 50% bonus aim speed and allow Archery Skills to be usable for Dual Guns, Shurikens, and Atlatls. These skills would use the ammo of the weapon or in the case of the shuriken, no ammo.

Humans and Elves would be able to use Atlatls. To use the archery skills you would still need to aim like with Bows but now you have access to a Support Shot, stun, a possible Dan 3 Magnum Shot, Mirage Missle, and other skills while using Dual Guns, Shurikens, and Atlatls.

This skill would be only for Humans and Elves. This skill would do so much for the Elves and ranged attacks. Giants have benefits with Smash, Counter, Defense, Windmill, and Charge. Not to forget, Combo Mastery, the use of Lances, and the ability to use 2-handed swords in one hand and access to the only large shields in the game. While they don't have the use of Archery, since their release they can use Dual Guns, Shurikens, their exclusive Atlatls, and now Chainblades. Elves get bonuses in none of these weapons. Meanwhile, Smash, Counter, Defense, and Windmill are used for everything including Control Bars, Shurikens, Transformation Mastery, Instruments, Scythes, Bolt magic-counter combos, the list could go on forever.

What this skill would do is allow Archery to have more of an impact in other ranged weapons in the same way that Close Combat affects things like Knuckles and Dreamcatchers while at the same time, give Elves a perk in ranged damage that they don't have with anything but archery.
THICCthighssavelives

Comments

• THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    So Aiming Skill would be the ranged version of Combat Mastery, and the various ranged skills would be the ranged alternatives to melee skills like Smash, Defend, Counter, and the rest?

I like it. Too bad giants don't get atlatl crash shot. :(
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,390
    So Aiming Skill would be the ranged version of Combat Mastery, and the various ranged skills would be the ranged alternatives to melee skills like Smash, Defend, Counter, and the rest?

I don't know if it's still a bug, but we can get Magnum shot. However, as soon as you log or CC it goes away. I had it for about half an hour. It was nice going back and forth between throwing attack and magnum shot; use one while the other cools down!
  • ChoCho
    edited March 21, 2019

Yeah similar to combat mastery, it'd be a skill that would shift elves from being "good at archery" to "good at physical ranged combat". I just tested it today and it's kind of sad but Dual Guns, Shurikens, and Chainblades increase in max damage with Combat Mastery and not Ranged attack. You can sort of make a case for Shurikens and Chainblades but at least Dual Guns should be increased by Ranged Attack.

It's a shame about Crash Shot but Stomp>Windmill is pretty nice.
  • HelsaHelsa
    If Combat Mastery and Ranged Attack are analogues for precisely directing force, then Ranged Attack would be for doing so with stored energy while Combat Mastery would be for precisely applying the energy in the moment generated by ones limbs. Aiming stored energy then would logically apply to bows, crossbows, guns, and cylinders. They are all similar where the skill boils down to how much above the target do you point to compensate for gravity and how much do you lead it. Applying force created in the moment (throwing things or throwing punches) could be divided into two different skills depending on whether the weapon used ever leaves your grasp and has a ballistic component. In the case of throwing a rock, you do have to combine the practice of precisely directing your limbs with the skill of leading the target and so on. So, maybe some things are effected by both. Those would be atlatl, shruken, chainblade (yes it remains attached but one end of it is free while bounded), rocks (although they are just an action for now). Combat mastery then being the mastery of developing precise movement of ones limbs with power then would apply to the aforementioned combined skilled items as well as hands, and hand weapons (including bows and so on when used in a melee fashion). Perhaps it would also apply to puppetry since the energy applied to the puppet seems to be applied by the user rather than there being some sort of directed motory within the puppet. Magic? Damfino.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    Helsa wrote: »
    Aiming stored energy then would logically apply to bows, crossbows, guns, and cylinders. They are all similar where the skill boils down to how much above the target do you point to compensate for gravity and how much do you lead it.

I agree that "ranged mastery" is practically the character's mastery over ballistics. We could even call it the Ballistics skill.
  • ChoCho
    edited March 23, 2019
    Helsa wrote: »
    Applying force created in the moment (throwing things or throwing punches) could be divided into two different skills depending on whether the weapon used ever leaves your grasp and has a ballistic component. In the case of throwing a rock, you do have to combine the practice of precisely directing your limbs with the skill of leading the target and so on. So, maybe some things are effected by both. Those would be atlatl, shruken, chainblade (yes it remains attached but one end of it is free while bounded), rocks (although they are just an action for now).

Lore-wise I 100% get what you mean but mechanics-wise I'd be worried about Shuriken and Chainblade having damage from both masteries and having a weapon mastery. I figure this is why Dual Guns, Atlatls, Shurikens, and Puppetry scale from strength. They all require force from the player. (Dual Gun skills needing a lot because of the movement from the acrobatics.)
  • HelsaHelsa
    Cho wrote: »
    Lore-wise I 100% get what you mean but mechanics-wise I'd be worried about Shuriken and Chainblade having damage from both masteries and having a weapon mastery. I figure this is why Dual Guns, Atlatls, Shurikens, and Puppetry scale from strength. They all require force from the player. (Dual Gun skills needing a lot because of the movement from the acrobatics.)

You could derive all to-hit and damage calculations for any discipline from strength and dexterity alone. This would be more in-line with folks who are "natural athletes" and so on. The skills reflect the specific training and muscle memory required to perform any such actions. You could say then that combat mastery is the skill of combining strength and dexterity to direct that force via your limbs in a very controlled specific way.

As for duel guns, although acrobatical, the actual part of the action involved in specifically inflicting damage does not depend on that directly. In the case of shooting rush where you hit multiple enemies at once, since the geometry of each attack is unique (enemy placement vis-avis ones self) this would then have to rely on instincts more than specific skill training, in terms moving from target to target, which would be properly handled by dexterity. Of course since this is a video game, you just push a button and it plays a movie for you so it doesn't really rely on that.