Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Removal of Pet Daily Summon Time Limits

IyasenuIyasenu
Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
in Feedback and Suggestions
I think it would be more fun if I could play with my favorite Pets all day long.

About the only thing that pets can do that doesn't use up their summon timer is watch your Personal Shop, but that means you can't play with them in dungeons and SMs and such.

And if a pet runs out of summon time, it also means you can't log on them to play as them.
With the addition of being able to benefit EXP-wise by clearing Normal-difficulty dungeons while logged in as a pet, that can eat up a lot of pet playtime on its on, which makes it kind of an unattractive activity to do, since it'd leave you with less time to do Player & Pet activities.

With an unlimited amount of summon time, you could do as much stuff alongside your pet as you wanted, without eventually having to wait until tomorrow to play with them more.
Overall, it'd just make me happier if pets no longer had summon time limits.
DanievictriaSherriDraechNarutoninexSho76HabimaruNilremAdagarhCharityCase

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    I think it was originally set up that way to encourage folks to buy more pets. But we are more than a decade on now, maybe something can be done about this.
    IyasenuCharityCase
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Helsa wrote: »
    I think it was originally set up that way to encourage folks to buy more pets. But we are more than a decade on now, maybe something can be done about this.

That's a likely reason for the origin of the pet summon time limit.

I don't really think it's necessary to have this limit any more, though.
    And especially since Pets recently received some more attention, it seems like a logical progression to keep the trend going and do away with the limit.
    AdagarhCharityCase
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    Yeah. Summon time limits definitely keep me from doing much with my pets normally except for emergency support, storage, and a ride when walking feels too slow. Ditching the time limits would make me feel way more comfortable riding them and having them follow me around all the time, since I'm not fretting about a time clock all the time. With events regularly making free pets available to everyone, having a time limit to encourage pet purchases is kind of pointless.
    IyasenuCharityCase
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Agreed, the daily summon time nowadays it nothing more than an inconvenience..
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    edited September 23, 2019
    Sherri wrote: »

It's especially inconvenient when it comes to some of these Pet Perks' activation requirements.

It seems like no matter the perk, they have at least one requirement with a "do something for a certain duration", and with pets having a limited duration, that very much puts a limit to the amount of use you can get out of it.

Blue Shield has "Maintain Divine Link for 1 minute", and Bonding Ties has "Stay mounted for 1 minute".

But, probably the worst is "Healing Rays".
    Its activation requirements, which you have to complete every one for the perk to activate once, as it is for the other perks, is:
    1. Keep pet summoned for 5 mins (0/1)
    2. Use Healing (0/10)
    3. Use Party Healing alongside your pet (0/5)
    4. Apply the Life Anthem effect (0/1)

That first one is the worst. 5 whole minutes per activation at the least.
    And to get from rF of the perk to rE it's 10 activations!
    50 minutes at minimum of a pet's summon time for the first rank!

It's an inconvenience by itself, though the mandatory wait time is basically the same as a cooldown, comparing to traditional skills, but the limited summon times of pets make it worse.
    SherriDanievictria
  • xSho76xSho76
    Mabinogi Rep: 435
    Maybe I've missed something but you also cant access the pets inventory when time runs out so I have to try and use the pets sparingly if I have important items stored on them.
    DanievictriaCharityCase
  • HoldHold
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,480
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    Sherri wrote: »

It's especially inconvenient when it comes to some of these Pet Perks' activation requirements.

It seems like no matter the perk, they have at least one requirement with a "do something for a certain duration", and with pets having a limited duration, that very much puts a limit to the amount of use you can get out of it.

Blue Shield has "Maintain Divine Link for 1 minute", and Bonding Ties has "Stay mounted for 1 minute".

But, probably the worst is "Healing Rays".
    Its activation requirements, which you have to complete every one for the perk to activate once, as it is for the other perks, is:
    1. Keep pet summoned for 5 mins (0/1)
    2. Use Healing (0/10)
    3. Use Party Healing alongside your pet (0/5)
    4. Apply the Life Anthem effect (0/1)

That first one is the worst. 5 whole minutes per activation at the least.
    And to get from rF of the perk to rE it's 10 activations!
    50 minutes at minimum of a pet's summon time for the first rank!

It's an inconvenience by itself, though the mandatory wait time is basically the same as a cooldown, comparing to traditional skills, but the limited summon times of pets make it worse.

I just got my first perk on one of my pets but from the looks of it, all those conditions reset if you desummon your pet. So not only do you have to deal with all that, you have to redo all those activation requirements if your pet is desummoned (changing channels, desummon from certain shadow missions, entering and leaving Avalon Gate, etc. Honestly I'm more upset over the pet perk system than the summon time.
    SherriCharityCase
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    I'd like to turn my pet into a spirit and use it to make an ego weapon. Pros: One less pet taking up space. I get to talk to my pet whenever I want. I get to feed my pet gems.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    No, it was originally set up because pets used to have the capability to have an actual impact in combat, and was highly advantageous back then to have pets joining the battle. Now ? Other than to be able to «get around fast» on mountable-versions, pets are now essentially nothing more than cannon-fodder portable storage-units, but there was a factual time when pets actually used to even be stronger than new starting out Milletians, and could even do more damage than the Milletian himself. Due to all of these changes to make pets rather irrelevant, other than for some of the summon-effects (Clouds, Bone-Dragons, etc), summon-times are now somewhat outdated/irrelevant, as there's no particularly significant advantage to having pets out these days in comparison to before.

Even the pets we can gather from, such as Herb-Gnu, are also no longer «exclusive» in obtaining that formerly «Rare» White Herb, which used to only be found in the Peaca-Dungeon, back when Peaca was considered end-game content. Now we can just pwn some bees in Silva-Forest for White Herbs at any time and not have to play the dice-tossing of dungeon-spamming in hopes that there will be an Herb-Patch spawn that we're actually looking for.

If nothing is done to make pets have a more significant impact in combat again, then I certainly see no good reason to keep the time-limits on how long they can be summoned, but it seems that they (possibly) have some sort of plans to «re-balance» the pets, given that there is now this new «pet-rebirthing» with «perks» system. I really would like to teach all of my pets how to fight, and even cast advanced-level-magic, and perhaps even eventually AoE-OHKO whole entire rooms...
    Helsa wrote: »
  • SqueeSquee
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    I agree the timer needs to go away. Especially with more focus on the pets than there used to be with things like Divine Link. Either that or they need to increase the timer.

Personally, what we really need are better uses for pets. They are okay in combat if you have a high level one, but overall, you can usually get by without one. There needs to be some better uses for pets than just getting around. The clouds and dragons are a good idea, but overall, I like the idea more of things like Alpacas and Food Carts that have uses outside of combat, such as using the food cart to cook, or getting wool from alpaca's. They need to focus on the uses of pets more than just battle.

I think overall, the pet system needs a bit of a redo. It's a bit outdated at this point, and honestly feels a bit more tedious than it should.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    Squee wrote: »
    Personally, what we really need are better uses for pets.

Pets should pick up items for us, not doll bags. Pets should cast shielding on us and reveal map secrets to us, not support puppets. Pets can take over those tasks if they had the right skills and if we write good pet AIs. There would be an actual use for those small non-combat pets with the tiny inventory if they picked up interesting stuff or had special skills.

I bet we could even replace mini-pets and mini-gems with real pets if we allowed more than one pet summon at a time.
    CharityCase
  • SytrieSytrie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,175
    timer needs to be removed but also cooldown of summon needs to be hella increased, It is stupid that I can heal myself continuously or debuff enemies with summon-desummon, summon-desummon... So they should increase summoning effect stats like if heal is 150, increase it to 500 but with 5min cooldown.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    How about multi-summoning of pets? Wouldn't that be cool? But of course, there should be a limit to how many can be summoned at one time.