Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Tre'imhse Cairde

GiegueGiegue
Mabinogi Rep: 2,975
edited January 11, 2021 in General Chat
Trivia time! Knowledge no one asked for but I've got too much time on my hands.

It's old news that Ailionoa's store is called Tre'imhse Cairde, most NPCs in Emain Macha will tell you the name of her store if you speak to them with the Clothing Store Keyword. However, since it was brought up recently in a more mainstream manner I thought to share what I perceive to be the origin of the store's name.

First of all, that apostrophe is more than likely filling in for the accented letter É. While Nanum Gothic does support accented letters, Mabinogi doesn't seem to use them at all. Players are unable to type them. If we assume that's correct, this would make the name of the store "Tréimhse cairde."

Translated from Irish, this means "grace period," or "period of grace."
Now, obviously a grace period has nothing to do with clothing. It simply describes, paraphrasing wikipedia, 'a period immediately after the deadline for an obligation of which one would normally face consequences, so long as that obligation is satisfied during the grace period.'

But if we lift things out of the box and think about it...
Graceful is certainly a word one would use to describe a person who is dressed particularly well... and a lot of the early clothing in Mabinogi is inspired by traditional irish clothing, which can be described as a historical period...

Well, we're left with what might very well be a clever little pun.
  1. What do you think?4 votes
    1. Cool.
       75% (3 votes)
    2. I don't think that's correct.
       25% (1 vote)

Comments

• FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    Oh
    I was just thinking about you/your posts earlier.

I've got nothing to contribute for this topic, sadly (I would have to give it more thought, which I may not have at this time...), but I like your speculative posts here and on the Wiki. Keep doing what you do.

Peace!
    Giegue