Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabinogi is on its way to ruin not what it was

AnimemabiAnimemabi
Mabinogi Rep: 1,365
in Feedback and Suggestions
this game was so much fun remember the old gens with nothing but positive thoughts having fun with friends. now all this fashion bs gold bots the same events over and over and over not to mention the abandonment of old and original content saddens me and is the reason why 3 times now i've had to take a break i know this sounds like me complaining but in my eyes its some one who misses mabinogi and sees many areas that need changing and improvement but instead ore wings! more gacha! i honestly think they lie when they say they look at the forums for suggestions.

Comments

• ManhiemManhiem
    Mabinogi Rep: 565
    edited February 18, 2021
    I wasn't here in the beginning, so I can't speak to how it was then.

As to whether Nexon actually looks at the forums for suggestions, I can only say this: Nexon is a business.
    Even if they were to read every suggestion, you can bet that they would only implement those suggestions
    that they thought would either: 1) attract more players to the game (and thus, hopefully, more revenue),
    2) make the players happier without costing a lot to implement (retain players), or 3) generate more in revenue
    than they cost to implement.

As another poster pointed out in another thread, Mabinogi is free to play (F2P). Since the players don't
    have to pay for subscriptions, Nexon must get its revenue from other channels. One of those channels is
    its webshop. And the webshop gets a lot of its income by selling special outfits, gachapon and reforging tools.

While I agree that it is sad that history has been lost, and original ideas are hard to come by, maybe we
    should be grateful that the servers are still open at all. Just a couple of years ago there were four. Now,
    there are only two. I keep wondering whether G25 is going to be the swan song of the game in NA.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Some changes to the game have left a bad taste in my mouth: power creep and the mollycoddling of newer characters to name a couple. But some changes are good. The new combat system that came in at the same time as fighter was an improvement. Of course some folks, at the time, didn't like the change but overall I think it was an improvement. If you want an idea of what fighting was like before the combat system was changed, then log into a pet and go fight things; bleh.

The thing is, everyone gets bored with games eventually. You can say that you still play Solitaire but um yeah. In games where you build your self up you eventually reach end game and then it gets boring. It's not just Mab that suffers from this. These games are about the journey I suppose. I've logged onto alts and started to build them from scratch. It's fun, it's the same fun that made people come back to the game. Of course now I know that ultimately that journey comes to an end; kinda sounds like life doesn't it?

Maybe the player-base needs to be modeled by Nexon as something more transient: people show up, stay for a while, then leave. This means you need a constant in-flow. That requires advertising. I see ads for other games. I don't see ads for Nexon games.
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    We see changes and improvements, but the problem is how long it takes for these things to occur. With a large company such as Nexon a slow process is inevitable. (That may account for why indie game companies have risen in recent years.)

Perhaps what you need is to simply look at the game from a different perspective. You mentioned the gacha, social, older gens, and what have you, but all of those make up only the surface level of the game. Dig deeper, find out why things are the way they are in game and out of game, and then maybe you'll come back with a stronger understanding of the game, if not a deeper appreciation for it.
  • ManhiemManhiem
    Mabinogi Rep: 565
    Picking up on something that Helsa said earlier, I am perplexed by the way that the development of new characters
    has been accelerated. Last year, I went through and catalogued some of the changes that had taken place over the
    previous two years, and noted how all of the changes had made it so easy for new characters to rapidly gain levels
    and skill up. It's like they're firing the newer characters through an accelerator, driving them to reach cumulative
    level 5000 as quickly as possible. But, why? Do new characters really need to be ready for Apocalypse in two weeks?

I wonder whether Nexon has grown jaded, and decided that most new characters are being created by experienced
    players who don't want to wade through the old content again, so they've just given the players a way to bypass all
    the old content, and create mid-level characters immediately. That's fine, I suppose, but it would ruin the experience
    for a truly new player, who would never get to experience working through the old storylines the way the rest of us
    did. Imagine not even finishing Chapter 1 until your character was level 3000 or higher. Takes most of the challenge
    right out of it.
  • Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    Manhiem wrote: »
    has been accelerated. Last year, I ... noted how all of the changes had made it so easy for new characters to rapidly gain levels
    and skill up. It's like they're firing the newer characters through an accelerator, driving them to reach cumulative
    level 5000 as quickly as possible. But, why?
    The game is old. It's been around for a long, long time. There's been a lot of content tacked on to it. That content has difficulties that have been scaled to meet the average player's capabilities after a certain amount of effects and buffs have been applied. among those buffs include pet buffs, raw stats, music buffs, equipment, titles, spirit power, renown, and echostones. That's a lot of things to catch up on to meet the standards of modern content. I disagree with them accelerating the leveling like this, because levels aren't what get you stats. But, that's neither here nor there. The question is: "Why would anyone need to catch up to modern content?"

Well, if you've been around here for a while, you'll see various -- yet, consistent -- complaints about lack of people around to do content. You'll see issues revolving around grouping standards (like, how much max damage you have or what your DPS is or what your critical damage is after every buff you typically use), that often exclude newer players from running modern content. Older content, like Shadow Missions and some dungeons, are far below the desired difficulty-to-reward ratio. You won't see people who can deal 600k damage in one shot messing around in Hard Mode Shadow Wizard at Taillteann all that often; there's bigger fish to fry that taste a lot better (like... farming Kraken Hearts). So, that means people would have to catch up to the older players to be able to see them around more often -- that's not to say they can't find new players like them. But, that's another question: "Why not just stagnate your growth just to have people around you at that level?"

Well, since training skills, building resources, and learning new content takes time and energy, you have to reduce the tedium to incentivize the motivation to grow and try new things. So, how you get newer players to want to experience a decent chunk of what older players experienced to a point where they can hang with them? You fire them through an accelerator. Point blank. It took a lot of us many years of steady, dedicated play to get where we are. Time gates still exist even with the acceleration (especially true for Erg, Renown, Spirit, and various other things). But, a player being able to train up the Enchant skill in one day off of a x192 combined set of multipliers pretty much meets the equivalent of taking 2-4 years to train the skill back in 2010-2014. It helps a lot. It's not enough to put them straight at our level, but they won't have to despair over not being able to find people to enchant their stuff. Enchanting becomes fairly necessary in later periods of growth, so that's a pretty useful tool to have under your belt at any period of time.

Basically, a lot this seems like it's moving things forward too quickly, but it's not. Training your skills at this point is basically bare minimum effort needed to be able to enjoy the game's combat aspects, because recent and more modern areas of growth are more heavily time-gated and subjected to RNG. It's not enough anymore to just have high Strength and Final Hit through the entire mission. You have to add some extra stuff, like Special Upgrades and Techniques to assist efficiency. The game is changing; games progress. We can't stay stuck in 2012 forever. That's unrealistic and I know a lot of people come to this game just for nostalgia. That's fine, but make sure you stay within reality. This is an MMO. MMOs progress and things change and it's only logical to help newer players adapt more easily.