Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Suggestions for a new game

ManhiemManhiem
Mabinogi Rep: 565
edited February 25, 2021 in Town Square
This thread isn't about Mabi, so maybe this isn't the place for it, but it is the place for suggestions, so...

Recent posts by Helsa and SyruneStarlight on other threads have got me thinking again about something
that bothers me about all the MMO games I've played. They all suffer from at least two major problems:
player retention, and the acquisition of new players after a certain amount of time has passed. Player
retention becomes a problem when the players run out of content to explore. Many of them disappear until
a new storyline comes out, at which point they reappear long enough to play through it, and then disappear
again. Player acquisition becomes a problem when the characters of the older players become so advanced
that it becomes difficult for newer players to catch up to them.

SyruneStarlight may have hit on the solution to the content problem - let the players design their own
dungeons. Not necessarily every player, but perhaps a couple hundred or so. Have the players who are
interested in designing one apply for a chance, and let the developers decide who should be given
responsibility for a given geographical area in the game. Periodically call for a re-design. If the player
doesn't respond within a certain timeframe, re-assign the area to a new applicant. This keeps the content
changing all the time. Game developers can still be responsible for over-arching storylines, and can even
reserve dungeons for themselves when the over-arching storyline calls for it.

The only way to deal with stratification is to keep it from happening. In other words, don't let the player
characters become so ungodly powerful that new players can't catch up. Two things should help with
that - do away with the level system, and remove character immortality. The game Traveller had a way of
dealing with that - character aging and death. I propose that each month of real time, a character should
age one year. At some point, the character's ability scores should start to erode. After a certain age, Traveller
started forcing the player to roll periodically to see whether their character suffered some sort of medical
crisis which killed them or forced them out of the game.

By aging the character one year for every month, a character should be good for 2 - 3 years real time. Four,
if you push it.

GURPS had some good ideas, too. The game gave the player a certain number of points that he could spend
in his character design. Buying skills and higher ability scores cost points. Taking on disadvantages or
lower ability scores gave the player more points to work with. Once the ability scores were set, it was
supposed to be very costly to change them. Skills could be advanced, but the higher the skill level, the
more character points it cost to advance to the next level. Eventually, advancing further became cost
prohibitive. Character points were awarded after a play session, with 2 or 3 points being considered a
a good evening's work. I'm not sure how the character points should be awarded, but they shouldn't be
easy to get. Maybe 400 character points over the course of a character's career.

Slow growth and character death should help limit stratification. It might even encourage mentoring.

Maybe it is time for a game that looks more like Kino's Journey and less like Bleach.
Kensamaofmari

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited February 25, 2021
    Perma-death is a mixed bag: it can add realism, clarity, and heartfelt poignancy, but it can also really suck. For example in One Hour One Life it's the foundation of the very game itself, but at the end of the day, it is only one hour with your character, instead of years. Having a character age and die in a couple three years, well, I had a hamster when I was little; burying the little guy in the back yard was hard. My parents offered to replace it; I said no. What One Hour One Life does is not the same as tacking perma-death on to an existing game paradigm and expecting poof there it is. An example here would be Minecraft Hardcore mode, in that not only is it perma-death but if you die your world deletes. Now, I've played Minecraft Hardcore mode. I've played it a lot. I enjoyed it. It literally made me a better player, but I don't play it anymore because dying and losing your game world really sucks.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. This should be in the town square forum. As creator of the thread I think you can actually move it yourself.
    Kensamaofmari
  • ManhiemManhiem
    Thanks, Helsa. :-) Unfortunately, I'm not very skilled at using these forums. I'd move it if I could figure out how. XD
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Manhiem wrote: »
    Thanks, Helsa. :-) Unfortunately, I'm not very skilled at using these forums. I'd move it if I could figure out how. XD

You do so by editing the first post. Along with the body of the post, which one would normally edit when editing a post, at the top you'll see a drop-down field with the current sub-forum name in it. That's what you twiddle.
  • ManhiemManhiem
    Thanks again. :-)
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    One game (not MMO) released last year is experimenting with perma-death. Mount & Blade Bannerlord. Characters adventure around the game with a band of soldiers and other retainers etc. Game time only runs when the player travels with their party, day is separated into several parts of a day. You can play for hours and you may have only gone by a month or two. Perma-death is added to battles where you can sustain mortal wounds. I think it's fine for single player games and especially one where the player doesn't have to throw to much of their real money into. They also tend to work with single player open-world games.

But with MMO's it's going to be tough unless there are clear restrictions and limits set from the very beginning. In every MMO game there's always a bunch of morons who like to bully and pick on other players for their own pleasure and being able to murder other players with permadeath would be something they crave for, ruining others especially those who have invested some real cash into the game. Cash, is how MMO games earn their revenue. If this perma-death functions drive away players who fear getting killed by other players, that game won't last.

Perhaps adding a no-PVP function may help or establishing set safe zones that protect players from being killed inside that zone, while enabling death when they're outside that zone and etc.

I think ways to keep players engaged as developers work on a new storyline to a MMO is to create a game where players can take a variety of specific roles/trades. Some players are craftsmen providing services to other players, or some are merchants who sell goods to and from various places. You have those who specialize in combat (adventurers, soldiers, or mercenaries) and so on.

To limit the creation of characters that become god-tier in level and stats, perhaps increase the amount of exp required to level up. Leveling up gives no direct bonuses to stats, players get X amount of SP or AP with every level up no bonuses. Players can improve their skills through usage and proficiency. Surviving in a perma-death environment is based on how well the player use their character's skills and equipment. Enemies should not become overwhelmingly too powerful and they're subject to the same combat and survival proficiency.

Healthcare, diet and rest would also be important factors.
    ManhiemKerowyn
  • ManhiemManhiem
    edited February 25, 2021
    Ah. I should have mentioned that the only thing that would perma-kill your character would be aging out.
    (Otherwise, I'd never get my own character safely down Main Street.) I'm not a pvp fan, so I would definitely
    favor an environment where players would have to OK any duels themselves.

I like your idea of awarding SP or AP by using an experience bar, similar to leveling up. It solves the problem
    nicely. Award craftsmen xp for creating items, and merchants xp for completing runs, as well as fighting off
    bandits and monsters.
    Kensamaofmari
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Manhiem wrote: »
    Ah. I should have mentioned that the only thing that would perma-kill your character would be aging out.
    (Otherwise, I'd never get my own character safely down Main Street.) I'm not a pvp fan, so I would definitely
    favor an environment where players would have to OK any duels themselves.

I like your idea of awarding SP or AP by using an experience bar, similar to leveling up. It solves the problem
    nicely. Award craftsmen xp for creating items, and merchants xp for completing runs, as well as fighting off
    bandits and monsters.

Here's another thing that Mount & Blade Bannerlord has added to combat losing everything in the scenario of having a character killed with perma-death. Succession. By allowing the player to have descendants or other methods of having a successor who will be able to inherit the previous character's possessions or a portion of their possessions. I think there could be many possibilities to make this work out in a MMO where there won't be issues transferring assets to a new character once the former character is killed.
  • ManhiemManhiem
    Definitely worth looking into. While I think that the early part of a game is fun, since you get to pick out your
    gear based on a tight budget, I can definitely see merit in being able to name an heir for your gear and money,
    especially if you have rare and valuable items. That way, they don't have to disappear from the game.