Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Steam Deck support!

ErikaErika
Mabinogi Rep: 3,420
in Feedback and Suggestions
Hello! I recently got a Steam Deck, and I have to say it's pretty incredible. For those not familiar with what it is, it's a handheld gaming PC made by Valve:
https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

There is one issue with it: it runs on Linux. SteamOS, to be specific. While Proton makes a lot of Windows game run on Linux without game developers needing to make native Linux version. However, there is one thing that Proton struggles with: anti-cheat software.

Currently, Mabinogi doesn't work on the Steam Deck, and I think it's because of Nexon Game Security (NGS). I tried installing the Steam version of Mabi, and it starts to launch... but then immediately closes.

I would suggest changing how NGS works, or replace it with another anti-cheat software that does work on Linux. For example, Phantasy Star Online 2 is playable on the Steam Deck, but it uses GameGuard (officially, Steam says it's unsupported, but it does work... just requires installing on an SD card instead of the internal memory and running some Linux commands).

I would think this would be worth it to Nexon, as it could potentially open its games (I'm guessing Nexon's other games also use NGS, right?) to a new audience (Linux users who refuse to install Windows even as a second OS, and Steam Deck users), plus enabling a new way for existing players to play Mabi. Wouldn't it be great to be able to play Mabi anywhere you have a wi-fi signal, and not having to bring a laptop?

Comments

• NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    It would be nice if getting Mabinogi to run on a Steam Deck would be that simple. However Mabinogi has old codes from 2003 and there are just so many buttons. The Steam Deck wouldn't have enough buttons and any number of things could go wrong just cause of Mabi's age. Honestly our best chance for a mobile Mabinogi experience is to get that Mabinogi Mobile game released already. If we got Mabinogi Mobile it would also create good advertising for our current Mabinogi game. Thousands of players seeing Mabinogi Mobile in the Google Play Store would hopefully get a couple hundred of them to check out our older Mabinogi game.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Negumiko wrote: »
    It would be nice if getting Mabinogi to run on a Steam Deck would be that simple. However Mabinogi has old codes from 2003 and there are just so many buttons. The Steam Deck wouldn't have enough buttons and any number of things could go wrong just cause of Mabi's age. Honestly our best chance for a mobile Mabinogi experience is to get that Mabinogi Mobile game released already. If we got Mabinogi Mobile it would also create good advertising for our current Mabinogi game. Thousands of players seeing Mabinogi Mobile in the Google Play Store would hopefully get a couple hundred of them to check out our older Mabinogi game.

You could overcome the lack of buttons with a deeper context menu system, but then the game play experience would suffer where timing matters. On the other hand, if you're a yellow skill person, that might be okay. Combat would probably be prohibitive but, you could do crafting.
  • ErikaErika
    Negumiko wrote: »
    It would be nice if getting Mabinogi to run on a Steam Deck would be that simple. However Mabinogi has old codes from 2003 and there are just so many buttons. The Steam Deck wouldn't have enough buttons and any number of things could go wrong just cause of Mabi's age.

Perhaps, and perhaps not. The Steam Deck's built-in controls has more buttons than a standard game controller (the 4 back "pedals", the two touch pads which can work as mice or however you wanna assign them). Plus, as the Steam Deck IS a Linux PC, you can always connect a keyboard to it via USB (either directly to the USB-C port on top or through a dock/hub connected to it) or Bluetooth. While it would be nice to have controller support for Mabi, that would fundamentally change how it's played, due to the layout of skills and such. So, the more realistic option would be using a keyboard on the Steam Deck.

So really, the only issue is getting the game and/or anti-cheat software to run on Linux. While I have no way to verify this (maybe Nexon staff could test it somehow?), but I think Mabi would run fine on Linux with Proton.
  • SacredCrimsonSacredCrimson
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,255
    If anything i enjoy the idea of playing Mabinogi just to do fishing or small things on steam deck I hope mabi either updates to Easycheat or something so it can.
  • LorgenzLorgenz
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    I and many others would appreciate greater linux support such as with the deck. I shoehorn mmos into controllers anyway but I cant really get around anticheat that goes after alternate operating systems. Please add exceptions for linux users.
  • IevuseIevuse
    Mabinogi Rep: 700
    Oh how I wish it got supported! As life happens, I no longer have a platform to play it on, but expecting the deck very soon, was hoping that it might work, but I guess not :( . Was also waiting for a possibility to play on android like other cross platform games (Albion and such).
    Hoping for the best here!
  • ErikaErika
    Valve is pushing really hard for the Steam Deck to be successful in Asia, now taking pre-orders in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. The response to Valve's booth at Tokyo Game Show has been overwhelmingly positive (aside from some complaints about the size, since... well.. the Steam Deck IS pretty big!).

I'm not sure how things are in KR, but I know in JP that portables are king. This could certainly be a game changer for PC gaming in Japan, at least.

So, even if the NA market isn't as big for Nexon, making Mabi work on Steam Deck would also benefit the Asia markets, too.
  • TurnpykeTurnpyke
    Hi, I just found this thread from googling steam compatibility! I'd love to have a way to play mabi again.
  • AyydsAyyds
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    +1 for Steam Deck support!
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,715
    i have no idea in the slightest how this would work but i'm all for it (i don't have a steam deck tho sadly)
  • LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,605
    Mabinogi it's self has run perfectly in WINE (one of the building blocks of Valve's Proton) for over a decade now, the actual inhibitor to running it on the Steam Deck is blackcipher running in kernel space (Ring 0) like a hardware driver would and WINE not emulating an NT kernel but rather being a win32 API implementation for unix-like systems. While Mabinogi it's self will run, due to blackcipher you either won't be able to log in or will be kicked off the game within a few minutes if you do try to run it on the Steam Deck (or other GNU/Linux operating system).
    In less technical terms, Mabinogi will run on the Steam Deck but the anticheat won't, there are plenty of anticheat systems which will run it but getting devcat to use them instead of their in house blackcipher is unlikely to ever happen. Short of a huge push from the Korean player base to move away from proprietary western operating systems like Windows, or just straight push for Linux/Steam Deck support but I don't personally see either happening, until Microsoft starts alienating it's users on mass.

Either way, you have a few options in the meantime;
    Streaming Mabinogi from a desktop or laptop running Windows to the Steam Deck. If you're a Zoomer and your only PC is a Steam Deck because you've grown up only ever having a smartphone, you can invest into a second hand/business cast off minipc desktop for this purpose since Mabinogi's system requirements are pretty low, research "project tinyminimicro" for a starting place.
    Buying a cheap M.2 SATA/NVME drive and USB enclosure for it off ebay/amazon/etc and installing Windows to that to boot the Steam Deck into Windows without wiping SteamOS off the internal storage.
    Or the more technical and least viable option of running Windows in KVM and setting up single GPU passthrough to use the APU IGP with it and scripting handing it off back to the host OS when Windows is shut down.
    BONUS:
    Waiting for virtio-gpu venus to be developed further and have a Windows guest driver developed and use DXVK for translating Mabinogi's DX11 to Vulkan to run it in KVM without IGP passthrough.
    SherriErika