Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Fishing Revamp

NegumikoNegumiko
Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
in Feedback and Suggestions
I think fishing deserves some serious improvements and not having fishing in Port Connous or Port Sella is what has been making me think about the fishing system in Mabinogi all the time. The more I think about it the more I think a lot of things could be done to improve it.

New Fishing Ideas:
- Add fishing lures that could be equipped in our right hand when we are holding a fishing rod with our left.
- Add fish traps (they could be setup and left alone almost like a personal shop and a pet could be assigned to guard it).
- Homestead/Homestead Housing Aquariums (Have a favorite fish? why not let a few of them live and put them of display in a small Homestead Aquarium. There could also be some kind of Aquarium added in a town that rewards you for donating certain types of rare fish).

Improvements that could be made to the existing fishing system:
- Improve the fishing minigame (the many game is ancient and I don't think to many players even use it anymore).
- Add fishing to Port Connous, Port Sella, and Port Ceann.
- Add new fish (It would be nice to have at least 40 new fish so we could add a few exclusive fish to the 3 fishing Ports I mentioned above).

Fishing is such a simple but fun thing in Mabi but I think with a few minor changes we could make fishing a lot more interesting and fun without drastically changing the way the fishing system works. The fish traps could be setup and much like a personal shop you could leave them to do other tasks as long as you assign a pet to guard it or some kind of Fishing Brownie npc just like the Personal Shop Brownie allowing you to catch some types of fish while you do other in game tasks. Lures could give some minor fishing buffs and different types of Lures could attract certain types of fish you want a higher chance of catching. I honestly got the Homestead Aquarium idea from playing Stardew Valley but I think it would make a great addition to Mabinogi.

Also why don't we have frogs in Mabinogi? We have frog robes and frog umbrellas but we never see frogs or toads anywhere. Did we hunt them to extinction in Erinn? What the frog happened to all of our frogs?!
iho6nxmofum51.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=fc93a0efd5f5c1eb9bec1865e88a307b5fc31ea0

DDSN
  1. Who Wants Fishing Improved?3 votes
    1. Yes!
       100% (3 votes)
    2. No
       0% (0 votes)
    3. Maybe
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Make bait a cooking recipe.

Helsa0151+Alexina of Erinn
    NegumikoDDSN
  • NioughtNiought
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,660
    It would be kinda cool if they changed the fishing mini game completely though, made it more like Stardew. I would personally enjoy it more and I think it'd be really fresh and something more people would want to do more often. But hey, that's just my opinion there. I'm sure plenty like it how it already is.
    NegumikoDDSN
  • HelsaHelsa
    Due to limitations in the game interface, maybe the two accessory slots can be used to hold items that alter the fishing tables, the way some fishing rods do. In real fishing you have sinkers and floaters, which not only describe different types of doo-doo but also items that you can attach to your hook to attract surface or bottom feeding fish. In other words more "kit" for fishing would be kew.

NegumikoDDSN
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Helsa wrote: »

I love the idea of being able to cook/craft different types of bait for different types of fish. Maybe even a bait we could throw on the water as well to attract certain fish to your fishing area for certain amount of time greatly increasing your chances of catching a certain type of fish and increasing how many times you are likely to catch that type of fish.
    Niought wrote: »
    It would be kinda cool if they changed the fishing mini game completely though, made it more like Stardew. I would personally enjoy it more and I think it'd be really fresh and something more people would want to do more often. But hey, that's just my opinion there. I'm sure plenty like it how it already is.

If it was possible I certainly wouldn't mind if they both improved the old fishing minigame and added a new one. I think it would be great if players had more then one way to catch a fish so two minigame options or old fashioned afk fishing would give players more options to fish the way they want to.
    Due to limitations in the game interface, maybe the two accessory slots can be used to hold items that alter the fishing tables, the way some fishing rods do. In real fishing you have sinkers and floaters, which not only describe different types of doo-doo but also items that you can attach to your hook to attract surface or bottom feeding fish. In other words more "kit" for fishing would be kew.

Some floaters would be cool to help give players a heads up the minigame battle with the fish is about to begin. The Stardew Valley minigame for catching fish is not very complicated so I don't think it would be impossible mabi to add a similar fishing mechanic.
    DDSNNiought
  • DDSNDDSN
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,165
    More aquatic based recipes! More unique and useful items/equipment!
    Negumiko
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    DDSN wrote: »

Aquatic based recipes would be more of a cooking related thing much like bait crafting likely would be as well but I fully support the idea. Maybe things like fish traps, lures, and new fishing rods could be crafted using handicraft skill. If new fish are added we will certainly need more new seafood recipes. There are certainly tons of new crafting possibilities if they update fishing.
    DDSN
  • HelsaHelsa
    Negumiko wrote: »

Aquatic based recipes would be more of a cooking related thing much like bait crafting likely would be as well but I fully support the idea. Maybe things like fish traps, lures, and new fishing rods could be crafted using handicraft skill. If new fish are added we will certainly need more new seafood recipes. There are certainly tons of new crafting possibilities if they update fishing.

You know, thanks to this thread, there are the makings of an idea that could, at least, be a chunk of an update. I think Nexon does pay attention to ideas expressed here because, first, they're paying for it and, second, although MabiNA is the smallest install in the world it is the most diverse since it is basically MabiWorldExcept(KR+JP+TW+CN).

Anyway back to idea generation. Remember fishing is in two parts: the AFK version and the mini-game version. Does anyone really bother with the Mini-game version? No! Why? It's to friggen hard! So, if kit/enchants/reforges/whatever could make that easier that would be good. In Mincraft mobs have two loot tables: the stuff they drop if they happen to die and the stuff they drop if you specifically kill them. If you specifically kill them the loot is better. If they did the same with the mini-game that might be good.
    NegumikoDDSN
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    edited August 27, 2022

You know, thanks to this thread, there are the makings of an idea that could, at least, be a chunk of an update. I think Nexon does pay attention to ideas expressed here because, first, they're paying for it and, second, although MabiNA is the smallest install in the world it is the most diverse since it is basically MabiWorldExcept(KR+JP+TW+CN).

Anyway back to idea generation. Remember fishing is in two parts: the AFK version and the mini-game version. Does anyone really bother with the Mini-game version? No! Why? It's to friggen hard! So, if kit/enchants/reforges/whatever could make that easier that would be good. In Mincraft mobs have two loot tables: the stuff they drop if they happen to die and the stuff they drop if you specifically kill them. If you specifically kill them the loot is better. If they did the same with the mini-game that might be good.

Iria Commerce was just a dream at one point. Just some crazy idea a few players had here years ago but it finally happened. If any update proves Nexon can make dreams come true it is definitely that one. Maybe if we keep bothering them about fishing for a few years they will consider giving it a update. All we can do is hope but I have no intention of letting this topic go until fishing is added to Port Connous and Port Sella. The biggest thing I see when I look at the two new Ports is "what a waste of potential." It really does feel like they put a lot of work into making the new Ports look beautiful but they just feel unfinished. Nexon could of easily added more at these new Ports to encourage players to have a reason to go there and stay there like commerce buffs/benefits and fishing trips.

But back to the fishes. So like some sort of minigame where we hit the fish on the head with a hammer after we pull them up or the option to throw a spear at them or kill them with a arrow to get certain types of rewards? Hitting a fish on the head to knock them out or end their life is actually a act of mercy for the poor fish. It must be terrifying enjoying a tasty snack only to find out it was a trick as strange creatures look at you while you flop around trying to breathe but you can't. Maybe a fish gutting skill could be kind of cool so we can get certain drops from them.
  • DDSNDDSN
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,165
    Active fishing should definitely be more rewarding than idle fishing, maybe it can open up unique drops exclusive to people that actually put in the effort to participate in the mini game, exclusive enchant scrolls, maybe instead of fishing up monsters like in Belvast, you can occasionally fish up a friendly NPC like a passive Sahagin like Tiro who let's you purchase unique goods or rewards you with a unique quest that gives you access to special goodies, maybe a fishing renown NPC for increasing the quality/size/bite rates would be nice to include as well, lot's of potential here.
    Negumiko
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited August 27, 2022
    Iria Commerce was just a dream at one point. Just some crazy idea a few players had here years ago but it finally happened. If any update proves Nexon can make dreams come true it is definitely that one. Maybe if we keep bothering them about fishing for a few years they will consider giving it a update. All we can do is hope but I have no intention of letting this topic go until fishing is added to Port Connous and Port Sella. The biggest thing I see when I look at the two new Ports is "what a waste of potential." It really does feel like they put a lot of work into making the new Ports look beautiful but they just feel unfinished. Nexon could of easily added more at these new Ports to encourage players to have a reason to go there and stay there like commerce buffs/benefits and fishing trips.

And don't forget my Bus Pet idea; that only took a few months XD

The three recently activated ports really need to be made into proper towns, right now they're just glorified docks in the middle of nowhere.
    Maybe a fish gutting skill could be kind of cool so we can get certain drops from them.

With any luck, at some time in the near future, someone somewhere may rejoice "Woo Hoo! Dan 3 in Fish Gutting!"
    Negumiko
  • NioughtNiought
    edited August 28, 2022

I love the idea of being able to cook/craft different types of bait for different types of fish. Maybe even a bait we could throw on the water as well to attract certain fish to your fishing area for certain amount of time greatly increasing your chances of catching a certain type of fish and increasing how many times you are likely to catch that type of fish.

If it was possible I certainly wouldn't mind if they both improved the old fishing minigame and added a new one. I think it would be great if players had more then one way to catch a fish so two minigame options or old fashioned afk fishing would give players more options to fish the way they want to.

Some floaters would be cool to help give players a heads up the minigame battle with the fish is about to begin. The Stardew Valley minigame for catching fish is not very complicated so I don't think it would be impossible mabi to add a similar fishing mechanic.

Yeah, it would be cool if they left the afk option, but just updated the minigame one so its more fun. Either more like Stardew, or just something else. I think it would be nice if they added more things to fishing in general too so there's a reason to want to do the minigame one other than it being fun (while making sure the afk one doesn't totally useless afterwards either, of course)
    DDSNNegumiko
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    edited September 3, 2022
    What about a new type of minigame/mission where we enter the mission by talking to Petra on her fishing boat? They could upgrade her boat and give it a harpoon canon and we could see large shadows of big fish in the ocean allowing us to catch some bigger fish/sea creatures. Like sharks and whales almost as long as her boat. Once the harpoon has hit players could aim lightning attacks at it to weaken the fish or other players could attack it with ranged attacks possibly making it a form of raiding but for fishermen.
    Yeah, it would be cool if they left the afk option, but just updated the minigame one so its more fun. Either more like Stardew, or just something else. I think it would be nice if they added more things to fishing in general too so there's a reason to want to do the minigame one other than it being fun (while making sure the afk one doesn't totally useless afterwards either, of course)

In Stardew Valley if you are skilled at the fishing minigame sometimes you will have the chance to get a treasure chest. Offering special treasure chests/treasures in mabi for doing well in the minigame would be nice. But who knows maybe if we can catch something as big as a whale you could find something as big as a real pirates treasure chest if you use a fish gutting skill.
    Active fishing should definitely be more rewarding than idle fishing, maybe it can open up unique drops exclusive to people that actually put in the effort to participate in the mini game, exclusive enchant scrolls, maybe instead of fishing up monsters like in Belvast, you can occasionally fish up a friendly NPC like a passive Sahagin like Tiro who let's you purchase unique goods or rewards you with a unique quest that gives you access to special goodies, maybe a fishing renown NPC for increasing the quality/size/bite rates would be nice to include as well, lot's of potential here.

A friendly Sahagin merchant that lets you buy special goods is certainly a interesting idea. If a saw a real Sahagin pop out of the water on a fishing trip it would be quite a shock. Still this could add a interesting feature to fishing and maybe they could have him change fishing spots every day so fishing in the spot he is located in adds a much higher chance of catching him. This would encourage new players to fish in different spots and help them complete there fishing journal as they try to catch the traveling Sahagin merchant.
    DDSNNiought
  • NioughtNiought
    What about a new type of minigame/mission where we enter the mission by talking to Petra on her fishing boat? They could upgrade her boat and give it a harpoon canon and we could see large shadows of big fish in the ocean allowing us to catch some bigger fish/sea creatures. Like sharks and whales almost as long as her boat. Once the harpoon has hit players could aim lightning attacks at it to weaken the fish or other players could attack it with ranged attacks possibly making it a form of raiding but for fishermen.

In Stardew Valley if you are skilled at the fishing minigame sometimes you will have the chance to get a treasure chest. Offering special treasure chests/treasures in mabi for doing well in the minigame would be nice. But who knows maybe if we can catch something as big as a whale you could find something as big as a real pirates treasure chest if you use a fish gutting skill.

Hmm, I don't know about all that. Do you mean like, actually using skills to fight the whales and sharks?

Oohh, yes, yes. I wonder what the chests would give though? I feel like training pots is too nice, but idk if special healing pots would be all too great, either. Oh, I guess exp fruit isn't a bad idea.