Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Hidden Lore Titbits

FragarachFragarach
Mabinogi Rep: 735
edited October 28, 2022 in Story Discussion
There's loads of little bits of lore and Erinn history that I'm still occasionally stumbling across that seem to be deliberately hidden under the radar. Things like easter eggs, or sometimes surprising comments from certain NPCs when asked certain keywords. I thought I might as well make a thread so people can post funny or interesting "secrets" they've stumbled across over the years. The more obscure the better!

Comments

• FragarachFragarach
    I'll start with an interesting one I re-discovered recently after finding myself thinking that Tir Chonaill was founded by a poet, for some strange reason.

If you go to Lucas in the Bean Rua, and ask him the keyword Church, he'll recite a poem called Following Heroes Footsteps, which he claims was written by none other than....."drum roll".....Nicholas Chonaill! Now this is very significant for two reasons, the first being that there is no poem irl called Following Heroes Footsteps, at least not in English. The second is that there's never been a famous (poet or otherwise) Nicholas Chonaill.

Which means that Mr Chonaill here is an original character in Mabinogi. Tir Chonaill for those who aren't familiar literally means Chonaill's Land. I always wondered who this Chonaill was, but presumed that it was just a name pulled from Ireland, but now here we have an actual character named Chonaill deliberately created for Mabinogi. Could this be a coincidence? Might he just be a descendant or distant relative? All very likely, but he could also be the namesake of this village we're all very familiar with. We'll never know for sure, but its a cool bit of "hidden" lore all the same.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited October 29, 2022
    This gives credence to my idea about adding more levels to homesteads where, starting from hypothetical level 16, you could incorporate your homestead into a town. Just sayin'. Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled thread of a cornucopia of Easter Eggs, and other potentially mixed metaphors. :)
  • FragarachFragarach
    "Regularly scheduled" Yeah, I'm sure it'll be as active as the rest of the threads on this forum lol.

While I'm here... I came across this cool potential teaser for the Arcana update when talking to Caoimhin, that new NPC on the boat from Port Ceann to Port Connous. If you use the Burning Sword keyword from the Shakespeare chapter, he'll mention that a similar effect could theoretically be replicated by casting/combining fire magic with a normal sword, but that testing it out would be challenging. That very much sounds like a nod to the upcoming Elemental Knight Arcana talent, which allows you to...well...do exactly that.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Fragarach wrote: »
    "Regularly scheduled" Yeah, I'm sure it'll be as active as the rest of the threads on this forum lol.

While I'm here... I came across this cool potential teaser for the Arcana update when talking to Caoimhin, that new NPC on the boat from Port Ceann to Port Connous. If you use the Burning Sword keyword from the Shakespeare chapter, he'll mention that a similar effect could theoretically be replicated by casting/combining fire magic with a normal sword, but that testing it out would be challenging. That very much sounds like a nod to the upcoming Elemental Knight Arcana talent, which allows you to...well...do exactly that.

dun Dun DUN!!!! The plot thickens!

Good detective work Gumshoe, or whateverthehe11 they say in Carmen Sandiego.