Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabinogi for Teenagers and below = Why it stinks

Hisame621Hisame621
Mabinogi Rep: 1,490
edited January 26, 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions
Many family members of mine who were in their early years would frequently visit me and I would usually let them borrow my computer for gaming. Many times they would see me playing Mabinogi and most of them have similar questions and reactions, so this is based on personal observations of things that have made this game unattractive and almost boring to younger people.

One of the big questions I get is "what's all that (junk)?" in my inventory. They ask about each individual item and want understand why I have it. By the time they realize many of the items aren't relevant to the word "fun" (such as training potions, combat experience, glyphs, enchant scrolls, potions given by events (gathering speed, walking speed, profficiency, etc.) and get tired of asking. They simply can't see whats special about a game where one spends more than 3 minutes moving things around and searching through the inventory. Many times they have seen me sorting my inventory or as I like to call it: Playing Inventory Tetris. It's a very time consuming thing, it's anti-fun, its not enjoyable, it takes time away from actually "playing" the actual game. This is something that I have been able to accept doing as an adult, but it has ever been one of the most annoying things I do in the game, and I have always seen how it can be unattractive to younger audiences.
Unless this game is not exactly intended for younger audiences, then it's something to consider when suggesting making the game more appealing to them.
On another occasion I allowed a 9 year old play recently, and he was confused with the use of hotkeys at first. After finally getting the hang of it, he eventually wanted to find something in the inventory and was a bit overwhelmed by the way each bag had to be opened and they wouldn't actually all fit on the screen in a normal or tidy way (which is unique to this game compared to many other games). He also had a chance to open event boxes and gave up almost immediately and implied it was a waste of time to have to make space because right after making space and opening a box the inventory was full again. I think anyone would agree, and that spending anything more than 5% of ones time in the game arranging the inventory is already too much. In my experience I try not to waste more than 5% of my time on the inventory so I end up having a very crammed inventory. Which could just be my problem but I have seen screenshots of countless players and friends who are similar. No one would disagree that the inventory system can be improved and is neither enjoyable nor desirable unless they really love playing tetris or candy crush, in which case they should do just that.
I believe this inventory problem is a big factor in making the game more appealing to younger audiences. The simpler the things are, the more vast the audiences you will be able to reach. Let's not let this problem continue any longer.
I am providing a solution to this problem here.