Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Homestead Suggestions

mintielmintiel
Mabinogi Rep: 2,865
in Feedback and Suggestions
So originally I was going to make this topic over a month ago now, but then I saw that we were getting a homestead update later this year (or well, at least in Mabi KR which means it'll get to us around... next year) but there's not much elaborated on it yet. I think so far what we've heard is new items with functions & an overhaul to the item placing system?
So anyways its 7 am and I haven't slept all night so I am here to cook and IDK maybe people will like these suggestions maybe people will tell me to go play the sims or something who knows. Here's some suggestions. Grouping them all together because the main suggestion here is to definitely overhaul homesteads even further than we have right now. Also going to back the reason for all of these suggestions & wanting them with the fact that people do indeed care about housing systems in games. And we have one of those, and I love it a lot, and you don't have to fight people in a bloodbath to get your own house! So even if it's not a super super important update, I think putting love and care into updating homesteads a lot more is worth it.

1: Expand the Homestead
With the large amount of new props we've been getting, even expansion 6 is beginning to feel like I just Can't Have All The Cool Things. Whether it be adding up to lv 20 or up to expansion 9 or even 12, idk, I just want more space. With the way things currently are, I can't even add more to my homestead that doesn't cause me to massively rearrange everything.

2: Reduce the space taken on the grid of some items
Certain items, especially older ones, have these huge grids. Like, why do we need cherry blossom trees bought with pon to be a 5x5 square, especially when free ones are 1x1? Or the floating star thingies to be 3x3, especially when every other floating item is a 1x1? I can understand the argument for incredibly large items but even then, things like the Mages Atelier is a 1x1 item. Even if everything isn't made into a 1x1, consider trimming some of the items slightly. I could probably compile a list of things that seem like they should be trimmed.

3: Item Overlap
We have so many floating objects and tables that it feels a bit cruel not to allow us to place things on top of other things sometimes. Especially tables. I feel like we have all these nice tables and you're telling us we can't just put stuff on top of them? Like food? I feel like there's a lot of missed opportunities. Especially if you allow homestead food to be crafted with cooking or using other life skills to make things like, for example, shelves to put all those little character figures we get from events n what not (I mean hey, that could be a way to make space without expanding the homestead size)

4: Add old event items to the craftable homestead items
You know those oldschool Xmas Reindeers with the lights? Or the regular Green Christmas Tree? From ancient events? That are never going to be rerun? Just let people make them. There's a lot of older items like this that are either not tradeable or, even if they are tradeable, they're so rare that they never get put on the market board or just straight up forgotten about. I don't see the harm in adding them to the ornaments list if they're never going to be brought back.

5: More Degrees of Rotation
Self explanatory but if we could have like idk, 45° or even 30° rotations it would be nice.

6: Complete Cosmetic Overhaul
Okay, so I don't know how to really call this one, but this is the one that I feel is the most subjective, and yet, I've seen other people talk about essentially these kinds of ideas the most. So I'm just going to group it into one thing, and hope everyone follows me while I Pepe Silvia my way through this all
Homesteads, without decorations, are just plain ugly. We have like: Wasteland, Slightly Greener Wasteland, and Tundra Wasteland. I've spent so much effort using trees to hide how ugly homesteads are. My solution? Just make the void around us not ugly. I mean, Outlaws already have this feature.
Outlaw_Homestead.png
Having a simple backdrop of just plain fields or something would be a step up from whatever the heck this is:
jljzMqh.png
Heck, I feel like even outside of default you could do something like generic things like being in a forest, or being surrounded by cherry trees, or heck, even using the backgrounds of towns like Tir, Dunby, Tailteann, Tara, etc would be cool.

Another simple addition would be a customizable skybox & weather. At the current moment there's one weather in homesteads and it's just sunny. When the sun sets, you just get cloud cover. You don't even see the moons in the sky, which kinda sucks. Adding things like weather into your homestead could make it rainy or you could do something like have a custom weather like cherry blossoms or fireflies or just a permanent view of the night sky with the moon and constellations in view. I guess by technicality, time control goes under this too, but considering right now how homesteads are kind of treated as a pocket dimension, I don't think that would be that big of a deal anyways.

Finally, let us make pathways on the floor and stuff. Like, if I want to put snow around certain parts of my homestead but not everywhere, it'd be nice. Or if I want to have like a dirt path or even just paved parts it'd be cool. Ideally something like how ACNH's terraforming would be nice (well, at least the pattern laying stuff, not necessarily the modification of land cause while that would be even nicer, I doubt that would happen in homesteads.)

7: Homestead Directory
So you know how we have that entire housing channel and there's like a little grouping and how on the housing board or whatever it was called, which a lot of people used as a way to buy things pre auction house, and when you would get a flyer, you would get to transport yourself to outside their house? So it's that idea. But applied to a board. And I'm sure you're like "we already have the homestead invitation system, that defeats the purpose of this!" and like, in a way yeah, you're right. But lets be real here, I have only ever seen 2 people use that, and one of those 2 doesn't even seem to be active anymore. There is legit just One Guy who uses that. The purpose of homestead directory would be a board placed idk, somewhere like dunbarton, and people who opt in can allow people to visit their homestead on their respective channel without needing to seek out either their physical player or an invite. Combine it with something like a rating system & message book like FFXIV has and it could be a cool system that urges people to get creative with decorating or an easy way to help people who need access to life skill items (like herbs).

Uhh thats all I've got for now I'm honestly tired and I know I'm probably babbling but thats what happens when 5.4 isn't for another 2 months.
Also I'm reviewing nothing before I post it you get my pure unfiltered thoughts.
ArcielliaKensamaofmariYoridenAmarazNioughtNivyaOverDrone

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    With the new ginormous homesteads, the desire for the outlaw homestead is somewhat abated. I have a full-sized-all-six-paid-upgrades homestead and it could probably hold a few outlaw homesteads in it. That being said, perhaps more choices for background that are more dramatic like the outlaw homesteads is probably more desirable now, since their size is merely quaint these days. Allowing the placing of props, say trees, in the background wouldn't hurt either and lets collect kon for it 'cause, like, why not?

I've posted this idea before but, I'd like to have expansion levels for homesteads; 16+, where as it grows it dynamically takes any paid expansions with it. Starting at level 16, you can incorporate your homestead into a town, doing so would allow you a rename. With a town you can spend stones to build ramparts and cobbled roads, put in trades people, and so on.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    I'd like to see more homestead expansion, or at least make the additional kon values worth something.
    Would definitely like to see some of the geographic features from outlaw homesteads added for players or made available.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    edited April 20, 2023
    Yeah they could at least surround the homestead with mountain ranges or hills, get rid of the deserts.

wmvYKyN.png
    mintielNiought
  • mintielmintiel
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,865
    Helsa wrote: »
    With the new ginormous homesteads, the desire for the outlaw homestead is somewhat abated. I have a full-sized-all-six-paid-upgrades homestead and it could probably hold a few outlaw homesteads in it. That being said, perhaps more choices for background that are more dramatic like the outlaw homesteads is probably more desirable now, since their size is merely quaint these days. Allowing the placing of props, say trees, in the background wouldn't hurt either and lets collect kon for it 'cause, like, why not?

I've posted this idea before but, I'd like to have expansion levels for homesteads; 16+, where as it grows it dynamically takes any paid expansions with it. Starting at level 16, you can incorporate your homestead into a town, doing so would allow you a rename. With a town you can spend stones to build ramparts and cobbled roads, put in trades people, and so on.

Yeahhh anything in the background could be nice. Basically just having something there is better than looking at a barren void. Now that I am not sleep deprived I could probably illustrate what I mean more but when I think about it, I'm not really sure how to put it onto paper better than what Crimson illustrated. But I feel like idk, something or just anything there, even if its something simple by default and can be expanded on in terms of background concepts (like being in an existing town, near lakes, or even on the moon or something) and how it'd be implemented in terms of how players get it.

Now I feel like I'm really babbling though LOL
  • NioughtNiought
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,660
    edited May 22, 2023
    These are all great ideas.

But y'know, forget extra expansions. What I really want is the option to just have more homesteads--or at least go to our on alts homesteads, and you can switch between them (perhaps there's an option to at the top of the screen, similar to alt banks). That way, we could make all kinds of different homesteads! It'd definitely give more motivation to keep striving for more homestead items, but also more room for creativity and variety. I'd like it if they made the moving stuff around thing easier for sure though, and item overlaps would be epic.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited May 23, 2023
    Niought wrote: »
    These are all great ideas.

But y'know, forget extra expansions. What I really want is the option to just have more homesteads--or at least go to our on alts homesteads, and you can switch between them (perhaps there's an option to at the top of the screen, similar to alt banks). That way, we could make all kinds of different homesteads! It'd definitely give more motivation to keep striving for more homestead items, but also more room for creativity and variety. I'd like it if they made the moving stuff around thing easier for sure though, and item overlaps would be epic.

No, don't forget extra expansions; we don't want to give up on that. As for multiple homesteads, in the meantime, we already have that. You can access alt homesteads via guilds. Since making guilds are no longer behind a pay-wall, all you need to do is convince four other people, that want to access THEIR alts homesteads to make one, or join an existing one. Once in the guild, visit the homestead and stick it in your homestead map, then it won't matter if you leave the guild, or get kicked out for being an alt or the 15 week thing. Better yet, just join MY guild because, until we get near full, I don't care about folks registering alts since it was the very reason why I made the guild.

I haven't tested this but maybe a friend could take you to an alt homestead. They visit your alts homestead by clicking on your alt and temporarily storing the homestead in their homestead map then take you there via their partner mount. Once there you stick it in YOUR homestead map.

I used my guild to gain access to alt homesteads and it is useful. I have several herbsteads, several cloversteads, several homesteads for storing all that kitchy event item dreck, a homestead for doing the daily gathering quest, and a bunch of empty ones for future ideas.

Of course, Nexon making this easier would be welcome but we still want expansions!
  • NioughtNiought
    edited May 24, 2023
    Helsa wrote: »

No, don't forget extra expansions; we don't want to give up on that. As for multiple homesteads, in the meantime, we already have that. You can access alt homesteads via guilds. Since making guilds are no longer behind a pay-wall, all you need to do is convince four other people, that want to access THEIR alts homesteads to make one, or join an existing one. Once in the guild, visit the homestead and stick it in your homestead map, then it won't matter if you leave the guild, or get kicked out for being an alt or the 15 week thing. Better yet, just join MY guild because, until we get near full, I don't care about folks registering alts since it was the very reason why I made the guild.

I haven't tested this but maybe a friend could take you to an alt homestead. They visit your alts homestead by clicking on your alt and temporarily storing the homestead in their homestead map then take you there via their partner mount. Once there you stick it in YOUR homestead map.

I used my guild to gain access to alt homesteads and it is useful. I have several herbsteads, several cloversteads, several homesteads for storing all that kitchy event item dreck, a homestead for doing the daily gathering quest, and a bunch of empty ones for future ideas.

Of course, Nexon making this easier would be welcome but we still want expansions!

Ohh, thanks for the tips! That's actually a good idea. Though I didn't mean quite like that, eitherr. I meant so we can edit homesteads without having to switch between alts. I guess I didn't specify quite enough first time around, sorry about that. Also appreciate the offer, but I'm good guild-wise.

I do think further expanding homesteads could cause more lag there, but since it'd be optional to do that anyways, its pretty much up to the player if they want to do that. The option to switch between homesteads and decorate them all whenever would be sweet though, along with making it easier to switch as well.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Niought wrote: »
    I do think further expanding homesteads could cause more lag

I wouldn't worry about that. On the server side most homesteads spend their lives NOT being loaded into memory. On the client side, nearly everything on it just sits there. Besides it's not like homestead activity requires precise timing so that you won't die or anything.
  • NioughtNiought
    edited June 7, 2023
    [quote= I wouldn't worry about that. On the server side most homesteads spend their lives NOT being loaded into memory. On the client side, nearly everything on it just sits there. Besides it's not like homestead activity requires precise timing so that you won't die or anything.[/quote]

Ahhh, I guess, but I've been in some really laggy homesteads cause people like to highly decorate it and just cram so much stuff in there. It does take a toll, even if its adding lag on the servers themselves. But yeahh, while I guess its okay if you lag there, still kinda annoying for some people when you want to hang with friends. Just think having it so you could switch between homesteads on the same character would make it easy to decorate all of them how you like and not have to everything cram everything in, reducing lag and opening up more room for creativity.