Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the May Quality of Life Updates! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91455/may-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-may-9th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Assault Slash change

ChoCho
Mabinogi Rep: 2,220
in Feedback and Suggestions
Assault Slash could be changed to be like Charging Strike. If you're targeting the enemy, it's used automatically, otherwise you can load it and use it freely, without the enemy needing to be knocked down. Right now, it's more of a chaser move that doesn't really have any good follow-ups because it makes the enemy "bounce" and the next hit resets knockdown.

I think Close Combat needs a gap closer. When Elemental Knight is active, Blazing Assault Slash makes melee combat feel much faster due to having a free gap closer on a low cooldown. Giants don't have as much of a problem because they can use Charge and Stampede freely and have faster movement speed.

When dual-wielding as a human, your movement is slow unless you have the charge reforge or echostone. Comparatively, Lances have Lance Charge and one-handed weapons have Charge. Two-handed weapons have the two-handed spirit ultimate and that's a big investment.

Changing it to be like Charging Strike won't break anything. It could still be loaded but it would also activate instantly if targeting an enemy.

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,390
    edited June 25, 2023
    In the mean time, I'll have to keep doing what I normally do: use Counter Attack after Assault Slash. I suppose maybe that was the idea behind the skill, that it comes with the risk of being "exposed" after use unless you use Counter Attack. I mean, in my case that's always worked for me, but I'm a Giant; maybe it's a giant only thing that it works for me?
  • ChoCho
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,220
    After Assault Slash I usually step back, wait for them to get up, then Windmill into Smash if I need to. It's not really a smooth follow up though since I'm waiting on the enemy. Only safe follow ups I found are Dual-wield, Dual gun normal, or Blaze since the double hits bounce them and then knockback on the next hit.

I think the skill was probably made to be a finisher. Low damage but enough to finish enemies in deadly or ones that almost died from Smash back before they bloated all the enemy HP to 10k+. Now it's nice extra AoE damage while windmill is on cooldown imo.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,390
    Cho wrote: »
    After Assault Slash I usually step back, wait for them to get up, then Windmill into Smash if I need to. It's not really a smooth follow up though since I'm waiting on the enemy. Only safe follow ups I found are Dual-wield, Dual gun normal, or Blaze since the double hits bounce them and then knockback on the next hit.

The monsters are on the old combat system, so for them to hit you back immediately means they HAVE to use normal attack. I've made using Counter Attack a trained response for me, so I'm already pumping the key while the Assault Slash animation is going on.
    Cho wrote: »
    I think the skill was probably made to be a finisher. Low damage but enough to finish enemies in deadly or ones that almost died from Smash back before they bloated all the enemy HP to 10k+. Now it's nice extra AoE damage while windmill is on cooldown imo.

Actually, I think you're right about that; dead monsters can't jump on you so that takes care of the risk.