Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Lifeskill Interfacing Improvement

YukitoYukito
Mabinogi Rep: 930
edited September 6, 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions
If you have the items in your inventory to do a lifeskill action, you should just be able to do that action without having to equip the item or place the objects into the UI slots. For example, if you have a pickaxe in your inventory, then you should be able to click on an ore vein or rock to mine it. If you have a lumber axe, you should be able to click any tree to chop wood. The game would use the first one found in your inventory from bag order, rank and file. The first one found should have it's model precached, so the moment the animation starts playing, it appears in your hands for you doing the action.

This should be applied on a smart case by case basis. If you load the metallurgy skill, your character will no longer have your weapon model on them, the weapon becomes red (unusuable) while you have metallurgy loaded, and you will be unable to load any other skills until you cancel or finish using the metallurgy skill.

Any crafting lifeskills should just automatically place the items into the boxes if you select the object from the menu on the left and it shouldn't matter if you have the tool equipped: what should matter is that you have the tool in your inventory. If the game knows that you could do it, then you shouldn't have to actually move the tool into your hands to perform the action.

Most other games do this already: this is just how they are designed to begin with. However, Mabinogi was built with a kind of simulator design and it has become tedious for players who want to do lifeskills between other kinds of content. It would save players a lot of inventory management headaches if they could just use tolls from the inventory rather than having to equip.

Comments

• LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,375
    Generally speaking, I agree. I have had the same desire many times. Just let me chop. Just let me mine.

It's especially annoying whenever I'm doing a story line and I'm required to cook. I have to remove my weapon(s) and then equip two pieces of cooking utensils. I vaguely seem to recall that there is at least one time where I have to swap one set of cooking utensils with another set. Highly annoying.

The big issue I see is things getting moved around while playing Inventory Tetris. I might suddenly need to move a preferred tool to another slot and inadvertently switch which tool is first. Correcting the issue could require more Inventory Tetris.

While I have my own ideas on how to rework life skills, I believe the devs are most likely to have any life skills change work like you have suggested.

It should be noted that they already have something similar set up with crafting skills to what you are asking for in this thread. With crafting skills, we can have the game equip the tool for us (if we have an open weapon slot) and have the necessary crafting items filled in the slots. This already exists. No, it is not automatic, but it is one click away.